Synthesis From Samples

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

A few weeks ago I read an article about a VST synth that was able to load a sample and make a rough guess at how it was synthesized. I can for the life of me remember it's name. Can anyone help?

Tony

Camel Audio's Cameleon 5000?

Funkstar De Luxe wrote:A few weeks ago I read an article about a VST synth that was able to load a sample and make a rough guess at how it was synthesized. I can for the life of me remember it's name. Can anyone help?

Tony
I've been discussing this a couple of times,here and elsewhere and my point of view is that is darn right impossible to do. But then again after seeing the Melodyne 2 Direct Note Access demo i don't know what to believe in anymore. :?

Morphine and Highlife as well. I know there are a few others. Look for Resynthesis.

Devon
Simple music philosophy - Those who can, make music. Those who can't, make excuses.
Read my VST reviews at Traxmusic!

I don't think it was C5K, but resynthesis is the term I was searching for. Is C5K the best for resynthesis?

Names I believe have to do with sample-based resynthesis:

Morphine, Vertigo, Mopis, SampleTank (STRETCH, I believe it was called?)

Image-Line Morphine seems to fit the description of what you're looking for though.

I gave most of the VSTs a try, but none of them give acceptable results... Maybe they need more tuning at my end, but from the initial results were very disheartening. Does anyone have good experience with this?

Resynthesis is only dealing with the spectral composition. With rare exceptions, it's not dealing with the changes in composition over time at all.

I've had the best resynth results with either Vertigo or Virsyn's Poseidon. Some others that aren't as accurate but lots of fun are Cameleon (as mentioned earlier), Virsyn's Cube, and White Noise's Additive and Doppelmangler.

EDIT: Somehow I spelled Virsyn as Virtsyn. :oops:

ew
Last edited by ew on Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
A spectral heretic...

NexSyn allows you to load a sample from its library and apply stereo synthesis to it:

http://keytosound.com/?desired_section=nex_syn
..::*Jack of all DAWs* brianbotkiller.com : OBEDIA.com::..

The only thing that I'm aware of that does resynthesis *WELL* is the Kyma. Beyond that, it's not all that great. Cameleon 5000 does a good job if you follow its recommendations and keep it simple. If you try to resynthesize a full mix of a song, it's not going to do it well (Kyma will though.)

What exactly are you trying to resynthesize? IS the sample in mono or stereo? Does it change in pitch or contain multiple pitches?

Devon
Simple music philosophy - Those who can, make music. Those who can't, make excuses.
Read my VST reviews at Traxmusic!

Return to “Instruments”