100% Freeware music or close

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi there
Could some of you creative guys link me to some music of yours where you entirely use freeware or anything close to that? Want to hear what people actually can extract from it. Any style will do.

Best Regards
"I speak for all mediocrities in the world. I am their champion. I am their patron saint."

Here's a tutorial using just freeware and a few examples (MP3's) created using the tutorial ...

http://johnnypumphandle.com/johnny/tutor/MuLab.htm

Well I do all my work on Linux - can't get much freer that that.

... mind you, I compose crap :lol:
It wasn't me! (well, actually, it probably was) - apparently now an 'elderly' so maybe I forgot!

jpumphandle wrote:Here's a tutorial using just freeware and a few examples (MP3's) created using the tutorial ...

http://johnnypumphandle.com/johnny/tutor/MuLab.htm

Thanks, I'll tjeck it out.

..and @folderol: Never mind the music, I'll like to hear it anyway...quality of production and sound count as well :D
"I speak for all mediocrities in the world. I am their champion. I am their patron saint."

check out my recent ACK demos

ACK = (not only) ambient construction kit presets for Synth1

done in reaper, which is not free, but close to ;-)

link:

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... sc&start=0

Hskovlund wrote: ..and @folderol: Never mind the music, I'll like to hear it anyway...quality of production and sound count as well :D
Oh well, in that case ...

http://www.musically.me.uk

carries a government health warning, but no electrons were harmed in the production :D
It wasn't me! (well, actually, it probably was) - apparently now an 'elderly' so maybe I forgot!

folderol wrote:carries a government health warning, but no electrons were harmed in the production :D
Hi folderol, jpumphandle and rsmus7.

While not taking my taste about the style of music into question at all, I do think you get quite good sounds out of freeware. The synth1 tunes even surprised me a little because I have really never fancied that synth from scratch, that is with the patches its already got, but I am not patiented enough to work with it either if nothing catches me initially. Made the same mistake once with Crystal until I heard Tims Conrardys patches.

This is probably the most revealing way to learn about the potentials of freeware synths, so I would indeed like to hear more if anyone could take a little time to link me further.

and @folderol: Well, while one should not expect the 4-to-the-floor and rave sounds to explode all over in your music right away, I can not see that your tunes should be anything worse than what you usually hear in that style of music you make and thus why poeple into it should not like it. Lighten up! :) Which synths did you use anyway?

Best to all and thanks
Last edited by Locus M on Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

why is freeware a stigma for low quality to you?

eg. puredata is free. there are some crazy crazy freewares from university-ensconced dsp mavens out there.

if you think pay vs. free reflects on quality, there's a whole world of information out there that you can go and find that doesn't pop up in your browser to tell you that their choice is the best one! :)
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

xoxos wrote:why is freeware a stigma for low quality to you?
Sorry for "hijack" the thread, but this question took my attention.

The question wasn't directed to me, but I'd like to say that altough I don't consider this stigma for the kind of sound I make (made with only free stuff), I'm still to see a common pop song (you know, with voice, piano, drums, bass, et cetera) made entirely of free software. And my music isn't quality enough for me to analyze, and it would be difficult to judge my own beats, anyways.

To me, it's hard to judge all these experimental music done with Synth1, Crystal, Superwave P8 and others. Because it's really hard to me to judge if the song is quality or not, since I'm not into that kind of music.

Summing up: does someone have a common pop song made entirely of freeware stuff? (I mean EVERYTHING FREE, like a tracker, VSTs/VSTis, soundfonts, Audacity, Wavosaur, and so; of course, external hardware like mics doesn't count)

EDIT: considering that I give all respect to xoxos and his amazing plugins. Really a fantastic couple of software!! :love:
Last edited by dark_virus on Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I guess I use 60/40 Freeware/Payware on my tracks.

folderol wrote:Well I do all my work on Linux - can't get much freer that that... mind you, I compose crap :lol:
:lol: :hihi: :lol: :hihi:
Funniest damned thing I've read all week! And being a Linux user, I can sympathize.
Alan Peterson, Washington DC
Adult Movie Name: Tippy Arlington
Star Wars Name: Lan Osret
Mob Name: "Duh Big Swede"

Hskovlund wrote:
folderol wrote:carries a government health warning, but no electrons were harmed in the production :D
and @folderol: Well, while one should not expect the 4-to-the-floor and rave sounds to explode all over in your music right away, I can not see that your tunes should be anything worse than what you usually hear in that style of music you make and thus while poeple into it should not like it. Lighten up! :) Which synths did you use anyway?

Best to all and thanks
I was having a bit of a larf. If I really thought it was crap I'd hide it on page 300 :)

The synth I mostly use is ZynAddSubFX, but sometimes I use ZynAddSubFX, and when I get really bored with that I use ZynAddSubFX :D

Actually, I also use qsynth and/or hydrogen and/or hardware Roland SoundCanvas for percussion. I also very rarely use a Yamaha SY35 for instruments that I can't synthesise.

dark_virus wrote:I'm still to see a common pop song (you know, with voice, piano, drums, bass, et cetera) made entirely of free software.
Well, I almost never do vocals cos I have a really boring voice, and I'm not entirely sure whether this could be called a 'pop' tune or not but...

Get Back is about as middle of the road as I get.

folderol wrote:Well, I almost never do vocals cos I have a really boring voice, and I'm not entirely sure whether this could be called a 'pop' tune or not but...

Get Back is about as middle of the road as I get.
hmm... That's a cool song! :)

xoxos wrote:why is freeware a stigma for low quality to you?

eg. puredata is free. there are some crazy crazy freewares from university-ensconced dsp mavens out there.

if you think pay vs. free reflects on quality, there's a whole world of information out there that you can go and find that doesn't pop up in your browser to tell you that their choice is the best one! :)
No freeware is not a stigma to me, but honestly I usually find my payware synths worth it with respect to what I am looking for. However a couple of times I have found out that it is because I do not take the time to explore the freeware thoroughly enough. Last time it was the arp2600V vs the arppe2600va. That stunt cost me about 260$, see this thread

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&start=0

So please, let me continue my "investigations" and do not flame me for being naive or lazy. I'll like to hear what people make of it and finally judge for myself. If I am that stupid, it will show in time.

Return to “Music Cafe”