Mainstream Dance REX Library

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Could anybody recommend a REX library of mainstream dance beats? The kind of really obvious dance beats that have rhymically and tonally been heard all over many popular records (the ones that are obviously re-used?) Cheers for any replies.

Can't believe no one ever replied to this!! I still haven't really found anything. The Vengeance Sample CDs sound like the right thing but they're WAV not REX. Any help anyone??

I assume you could purchase recycle in the KVR market place... I've seen it there a few times, it is a brilliant program and you will be able to make your own rex files...

Recycle, as far as I know, would be the only " obviously re-used " tool.... As, " the funky drummer " has probably been chopped up a "billion" times by now..

Other than that... I do hear quite a few just use " vengeance " others use some " http://www.ueberschall.com/ products " you really should look there...

If you want to put the TIME AND PRACTICE you will get your best result learning how to

A. sound design

and

B. make your beats...

I've been sound designing all my drums going on a year now, and although it is taking a very long time to get a great result, I am always seeing progress, and it is highly rewarding , because this way, I feel I am really creating my own vibe.....

As producers... The drums in our tracks, are an intricate part of our sound...

CheeRs

I don't want recycle. I want sounds that fit and press the right buttons for non-musical people, who do not know the difference between something that's stock sounding and something that's had hours of laborious work put into it. I do not want to spend hours on a drum loop, reinventing the wheel, when I could instead be spending that time on arranging and composing the hooks of the track which I DO want to sound different/unique.

I've looked at Ueberschall, I don't really want a VSTi. Do you know what the Vengeance EXS24 patches are all about, do they provide a flexibility at different BPMs? Really I want REX...can't believe there isn't anything on the market to cater for such simple needs. Simple popular sounding dance drum loops, nothing fancy...

Maybe those products would be of interest:

http://www.samples4.com/catalog/product ... cts_id=267
http://www.dv247.fr/invt/51750/

EDIT: by simple popular dance music sample you means things that are heard now on commercial dance radios? or the '90 kind of sounds? If you can give me some artist names maybe I could make this kind of library (I have recycle & create my own loops).

or check Ecstatic Grooves (available in REX2 format):

http://www.zero-g.co.uk/index.cfm?articleid=997

I think that would be what you're looking for.

Thanks so much for your reply. The Ecstatic Grooves definitely sounds more like I was thinking.

Two tracks I would say which have the kinds of underlying dance beats I would ideally like in REX form are:

Eiffel 65 - Blue
Jakatta - American Dream (this has lots of sampled percussion too, but the main dance beat sounds very stock to me).

Very simple beats but they sound like they have been used many times before, not just programmatically, but tonally. I'm not a drum sound designer, so having something like that in loop form would be fantastic.

Does anything else spring to mind that would be worth my while checking out, besides the Zero-G stuff? (I couldn't find an MP3 demo of the Sample Messiah product)

Tren wrote:Thanks so much for your reply. The Ecstatic Grooves definitely sounds more like I was thinking.

Two tracks I would say which have the kinds of underlying dance beats I would ideally like in REX form are:

Eiffel 65 - Blue
Jakatta - American Dream (this has lots of sampled percussion too, but the main dance beat sounds very stock to me).

Very simple beats but they sound like they have been used many times before, not just programmatically, but tonally. I'm not a drum sound designer, so having something like that in loop form would be fantastic.

Does anything else spring to mind that would be worth my while checking out, besides the Zero-G stuff? (I couldn't find an MP3 demo of the Sample Messiah product)
I would go with the Ecstatic Grooves if I were you, because the creator of the library is a well known kvr poster, & he design all his samples from strach. About the Sample Messiah, I didn't find a demo either, but it's old...

Maybe check out Sample Magic products, there's loads of free demo wavs to check & all their products include REX2 files:

http://www.samplemagic.com/

Quality stuff! Not only drums though...the closest to what your looking for is Ecstatic Grooves (that I know of).

cheers!

Tren wrote:I don't want recycle. I want sounds that fit and press the right buttons for non-musical people, who do not know the difference between something that's stock sounding and something that's had hours of laborious work put into it. I do not want to spend hours on a drum loop, reinventing the wheel, when I could instead be spending that time on arranging and composing the hooks of the track which I DO want to sound different/unique.

I've looked at Ueberschall, I don't really want a VSTi. Do you know what the Vengeance EXS24 patches are all about, do they provide a flexibility at different BPMs? Really I want REX...can't believe there isn't anything on the market to cater for such simple needs. Simple popular sounding dance drum loops, nothing fancy...
Recycle is just for chopping the loop up to use as a rex file.
Find a loop cd with the loops you like and chop them up with recycle, that's it.

I allways used the vsti PhatMatikPro myself. With that you can use all loops instantly.
Load it into Phatmatik, chop it up and import the midi file into you project and you are running.
___The Jepptunes___
"Accept All the Good"

Sound design for SQ8L and Alchemy

Tren wrote:I don't want recycle. I want sounds that fit and press the right buttons for non-musical people, who do not know the difference between something that's stock sounding and something that's had hours of laborious work put into it. I do not want to spend hours on a drum loop, reinventing the wheel, when I could instead be spending that time on arranging and composing the hooks of the track which I DO want to sound different/unique.

Why do you want only .rex files? are you using reason? if you are then the 2 samplers and the redrum will let you load .wav filesinto them, which has got to be the most popular format.
A Beat More Disco

Tren wrote:
did you look at total REX by Zero G ? it contains 15,000 REX loops from some 40 CD libraries. A lot won't be to your liking, but with 15,000 loops, there is a lot to choose from. I am very happy with it.

Don't know why you're having trouble finding stuff. Lots of great libraries out there containing REX drums

Sample Magic
Loopmasters
peace love productions
zero G

probably dozens more.

good luck

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”