Remote 61SL - automap 2 issues

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

hello all! ive been a member with KVR for years but never had to post in here before now. So, provided ive got the right forum, be gentle ;)

Q1: Ive just upgraded my Remote 61SL to automap 2/4.x OS and it seems really good at controlling my vst/vsti's (TBH i could never actually get my head around Automap 1 so my 61SL was pretty much resigned to being a very expensive midi input keyboard playing all my outboard gear into cubase for the past year or so!).

However, the by product of being able to control my VSTs seems to be that ive now lost my midi port 2 out facility completely - so all my older songs no longer want to see any of my outboard gear or write any new music using that midi out and i cant seek any help from novation's normally good answerbase site or email/problem facility.. So i was wondering whether anyone on here can help or point me in the right direction as im lost!

Q2: Should i get get Q1 resolved then i hopefully want to be able to control all my outboard gear from the 61SL using its pots and sliders via the switch of a channel in cubase (the same way it works with the VSTs) - is this possible, like setting up and using templates or something?

Thanks in advance!

I have the Remote SL 25 and when I recently updated Automap to the latest version on OS X to use with Logic I had quite a few problems - the OS in the keyboard would crash after maybe 15 minutes being the major one GRRRR! It seems to be working OK now, but TBH I've never really had much success with Automap software, I think it is a bit of sales gimmick. It is a great controller, but the layouts of the various automap templates is just not thought out: who wants to scroll through forty pages of options looking for "Filter 2" - so I use the midi learn functions in the soft synths to map controls directly, save those templates and select them manually when I am playing. If you look around various forums, you will find that is what most people do ...

As for you midi port not working, look in the Global menu on the Remote, page up and check which ports your midi is being sent to. The latest Automap installer probably updated the templates / OS on your keyboard which might mean it reset the various ports it was using - the midi configuration options are very flexible, but if they are wrong it won't send midi to the correct devices!!

As for controlling outboard gear, you should be able to configure the same global menu to send midi note / CC output to your DAW on one midi port (via USB midi most likely) which will be recorded, and to your outboard gear on one of the regular midi ports so you hear in real time what you are recording. One of the options will also let you route incoming midi (from the DAW) to the same port you are sending midi to your outboard gear, so that it plays back what you recorded in to the DAW.

Finally you need to configure the Remote SL to send the right midi CC messages to your outboard gear so you can control the parameters. Save as a template per external synth and you should be sorted. Your hardware synth manual should tell you what CC messages control what function, and if not simply record in to the DAW directly and check the values manually.

It's quite a headache dealing with so many midi options, but it will work with a little perseverance :)

Peace,
Andy.
... space is the place ...

haha, yeah it is all a big learning curve - made somewhat easier by Novations email support and places like this!

cheers for the heads up Andy, cos thankfully it was the global settings issue (Ports set to M1 & M2, MIDIto set to M1 M2 as well) that was the problem, it looks like it was reset by the upgrade.

However, Im still yet to figure out how to control my external sampler (Yamaha A5000 knobs are all busted) or other outboard gear via it, but thats not a 61SL issue its a whole new area of cluelessness i guess - MIDI cc!

The email support seems to be pretty good with Novation.

I've got the 61key SL here... still learning!

I kind of like the idea of using templates 38/40 mainly... but I'm finding that the controller automatically switches from 38 to 40 when I EXIT "MIDI Learn' mode (In Ableton)

This is a bit of a drag. I'd LIKE the unit to stay in 38 until I switch it over.

yeah, excellent support ive found actually from novation - much like yamaha uk from my own personal experiences actually.

Ive not heard of that 38 > 40 jump switch going on Danno, but then im yet to fully start playing with my SL - dont worry though ill be sure to post any issues/queries/situations i may find as i think ill be attacking (through Cubase) the 'Learn Mode' next ;)

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”