Having trouble getting keyboard working..

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi... I have a Evolution MK-461C Midi keyboard. I am having some trouble getting it working...

When I plug it in and turn it on , it says its detected by the clock and everything seems to be working properly, it says my hardware is ready to use, but I can not seem to get it working in anything.

I tried using the provided programs (music teacher, etc) and it doesnt even detect it in there when I hit a key.

I went to the website and it provided the "Enigma" drivers, but that didnt seem to have helped either.

When it comes to using it in FL studio, I dont even know how to use it in there lol. Could someone explain the easiest way to try to record the keypresses on to a midi track so I can test it in FL studio to see if it works there?

Any help would be appreciated!

I don't use FL but you should be able to "record-enable" (or similar) a (new) midi track ... hit record and start playing. The notes you play will then appear in the piano roll editor / region that FL creates to hold your notes. If you have an instrument connected, you should hear the notes!

Also: have you checked the MIDI cabling? Someone else the other day had Midi-In (keyboard) connected to Midi-In (computer). Easy mistake to make!!

Peace,
Andy.
... space is the place ...

ZenPunkHippy wrote:I don't use FL but you should be able to "record-enable" (or similar) a (new) midi track ... hit record and start playing. The notes you play will then appear in the piano roll editor / region that FL creates to hold your notes. If you have an instrument connected, you should hear the notes!

Also: have you checked the MIDI cabling? Someone else the other day had Midi-In (keyboard) connected to Midi-In (computer). Easy mistake to make!!

Peace,
Andy.
My keyboard is connected thru USB cable so I shouldnt have that problem with the midi cable, so I'm still not sure what to do to get it working.

When it comes to recording, when I hit the record button, it gives me a choice - 1) audio in to edison, 2) audio in to the playlist as an audio clip, 3) automation & score, 4) Everything"... I'm not sure which one of those (if any) is midi, only one I'm not sure is automation and score, but the others seem to record the raw audio.

have you checked the midi options in FL Studio to point to your device?

bluedad wrote:have you checked the midi options in FL Studio to point to your device?
It doesnt show up there.

I uninstalled and reinstalled multiple times, using the instructions on the website. The CD installation says that it should work without installing any drivers in WinXP but that isnt true. So I install the drivers on the website, it all goes okay. Turn the keyboard on, by the clock on the bottom right it does its thing and then says "Detected Evolution MK-461C"..."Your hardware is now ready to use!", but it doesnt appear in the system devices menu. Strange thing is I can hear windows make the sound as if something is connected every time I switch it on.

Not sure what to do but I am getting very frustrated. I sent a support email in but they havent responded, and I'm not sure what else to do.

(Edit: I just noticed that it is only showing up in system devices as "USB Audio Device", not what it should be, but reinstalling the driver does not fix this problem.... Tried posting on the M-Audio forum as well but I have to wait until the admin approves the message to be posted.... )

On Windows XP, my Novation Remote keyboard only ever shows up as "USB Audio Device" in the "Sound and Audio Device" control panel applet and hence any audio apps I use. It is a device naming problem in Windows, not actually a real problem; it is the device you want to use.

For recording midi information in FL, option "Automation & Score" is the one you want ... "Everything" should work too, but "A&S" is specific to midi and it should record notes played (Score) and any controller movements (Automation, e.g. filter cutoff if assigned to the right synth parameter).

I don't know enough about FL to help any further!

Peace,
Andy.
... space is the place ...

Most usb midi kit does in fact work with the generic "USB audio Device" driver.
The last time I installed an Evolution midi device it required me to use Windows Device Manager to update to the supplied special one. The installer only placed the driver files in the Windows folder, it did not install it. IIRC, it also used the "USB composite Device" driver and that too had to be updated. This may have changed since M-audio took Evolution over and started managing the driver developement.

All that said, it should work using the USB audio device driver anyway.
If you have the driver CD, see if there is a file called "midifix.exe" and run it with the keyboard disconnected. Reboot and connect the keyboard. After Windows has detected and installed it, it should now work. You should also be ableto find midifix on m-audios driver page.
http://www.midiman.net/index.php?do=support&tab=driver
It's listed under miscellaneous.

The Enigma program is a controller patch manager - it has nothing to do with the device driver.

Jim

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”