I hate companies that don't tell you it's not an instant download until after you pay!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Since this is the "I hate" day... here's my official gripe!

Nothing is worse than finding out that after you've done your homework, mulled over financial consequence of purchasing and then finally purchased just to find out that "it will take 24-48 hours to receive your download!!"

Shouldn't that be posted earlier? Even adding it to the FAQ section, would be better. :shrug:

Yes...

Why, what'd you buy?

Isn't this when there's some verification process that attempts to make sure the order is valid and the credit card is being used by the actual holder of said card? But, yeah, they should tell you up front...even though it won't stop you from ordering. Will it? :hihi:
We escape the trap of our own subjectivity by
perceiving neither black nor white but shades of grey

Imageline years ago took 24 hours to send me a reg key, i remember something saying due to fraudulent credit cards they were manually operating the system, maybe similar.

I don't understand the delay with a paypal payment though, like KarmaFX (pissed student devs sleeping it off) :wink:

As a person who has bought many products here at KVR and as a dev that sells products here on KVR, here is my take on this thread:

I loathe waiting for my download links, but am patient none-the-less. If it takes days and days to receive it, I get pissed. If the company I bought it from does not respond to my emails within a reasonable period of time (24 hours), I get even more upset.

When someone purchases one of my products, I send the links as soon as I can - assuming they paid by paypal (credit card purchases take a bit more time due to manual entry of cc data) and I see the funds are in my account.

Typical waiting time for most people who pay by paypal is less than 1 hour and usually closer to a few minutes. This is NOT automated, so I tend to move fast UNLESS I am out of the office or asleep, in which case, as soon as I get back into the office, the 1st thing I do is to see if I need to send out any links or charge credit card orders.

If the client pays by credit card, I need to charge their card (this is manual for fraud reasons) and THEN I send out their links - again, usually this whole process takes less than an hour or two unless I am away from the office.

I own a small company and I have chosen to work this way for many reasons. For anti-piracy reasons, I enter every client into our database and so I know who is downloading and when - so if someone gives their codes away, I can tell pretty quickly and void their access. The database entry takes a few seconds and is painless for my clients since I do not issue serial codes for my products (yet). That may change with SuperCore.

Bigger companies may use automated methods such as shareit and epoch. I am not very happy with any of those solutions. However, the allure of instant download links is a major plus.

So far, the way I am doing it has made NO ONE dissatisfied - time frame from when they paid their money to the point when they receive the download links email.

As a consumer, I have been privvy to some small companies that took their sweet time and got around to sending me my product days later.

I also had many small companies go above and beyond in their speed and excellent customer service. Examples of excellent companies are U-He, Wusik, Esoundz (Sonic Reality - really a big company, but they do a great job), Camel Audio to name a few.

Mike

I love instant download. If it's not instant, it should be stated. This way I will buy then walk away with the understanding that I'll get it but just not right now. Getting an email within 24 hours is fair enough.

.-.
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
Alienware i7 R3 loaded with billions of DAWS and plugins.

This thread brings up a great point, and a reminder that I need to make sure that the Orange Tree Samples website makes it obvious that the products are instant downloads. With PayPal's IPN, it allows the download links to be automatically sent instantly after the transaction.
Greg Schlaepfer
Orange Tree Samples
Ultra-realistic sample libraries for Kontakt

I wanted some xln stuff and it WAS instant download. Funny though, I had to wait a few hours for someone to reply because it was not stated that way on the web site that I could find. Hopefully, they updated their site to make that clear as it ended up being no problem at all.

Orbit-50 wrote:I love instant download. If it's not instant, it should be stated. This way I will buy then walk away with the understanding that I'll get it but just not right now. Getting an email within 24 hours is fair enough.

.-.
+1

Yes, this is my take on it too!

A non-instant download is not going to stop me at all. I just simply like to know before I purchase, so I don't misplace my "eagerness" to use immediately :help:

I definitely think 24 or even 48 hours is a fair policy... I just would like to know before I make my purchase and not after.

Return to “Instruments”