jackwasio or wineasio under snow leo?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Has anybody ever had a working JackWASIO under the Snow Leopard? I've been using JackWASIO and 10.5 Leopard fine, but since I switched to Snow Leo 10.6 I can't find a way to use wineasio low latency driver at all. Have tried to install some version of Wine (that comes with WineBottler) and a new CrossOver Games 8.0 but no luck: wineasio doesn't appear in the Audio preferences of winecfg.

(bump)

Why would you want to run ASIO drivers on OSX (just curious) ?

----
Last edited by jancivil on Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

JackWASIO is a driver that can be installed into wine/crossover to run under windows as an ASIO driver within windows. However, it operates by communicating directly with JackOSX that is running on the host OSX os.

The reason for needing this is so that if you want to run Windows audio apps under OSX, then you can run them with crossover games (aka wine) and to the windows app it will just look like there is a standard ASIO driver installed in windows, and to the mac it will just look like a JackOSX port.

I can't think of any reason why it shouldn't work on SnowLeopard, but I haven't upgraded to SL yet.

One thing though, I never got CrossOver Games 8.0 to work right before. I have been using CrossOver Games 7 for quite some time and it works with jackWASIO. Maybe that is your problem on SL too.

I had Crossover Games + JackWAsio running with Leopard and an older version, but not with Snow Leopard :( However, SL + latest Fusion is more important to me than Crossover...

I just got Crossover Games + JackWAsio to run on Snow Leopard :D

Is that an updated Crossover or an updated JackWAsio or something else?

Here's my setup and what I did to get JackWASIO working on SL:

MacBook Pro, first Core 2 Duo version + Snow Leopard

Crossover Games 8.1.3

Jack OS X 0.84 32-bit only release

JackWASIO crossover version from: http://www.meskalina.it/

Everything is installed in the standard way, then I followed the suggestion at:
http://forum.winehq.org/viewtopic.php?t ... 06cc81729d

1. Run Terminal
2. cd /usr/local/lib
3. sudo cp libjack* /usr/lib

i.e. copy jack library symlinks from /usr/local/lib to /usr/lib

There is no particular logic in the software versions chosen above, so other release of Crossover or Jack are likely to work too...

Martin

Thanks. If I get time over the next couple of days, I might look into merging JackWASIO into the wineasio codebase. If it's close enough to any of the many branches...

It would be very good if Jackwasio got merged into the wineasio code base. As I recall there are a few things where Jackwasio is behind the other. However the main problem is related to some incompatibility between Linux and OSX, I believe related to shared memory if I recall, its been a while. This is the reason Jackwasio was splintered off in the first place. You would have to ifdef it or something so the mac build of wine got built with the jackwasio code, at least certain parts. I have no idea what all code was changed by the dude in Italy to make it work on OSX.

you should just bootcamp your hardrive and use xp for your windows stuff.

Todd, you are missing the point. If you are tracking and composing in a Mac DAW, you can't exactly boot into bootcamp to use some windows VST plugin you want to use. That defeats the main reason for buying a mac.

Yes, anyone can bootcamp to windows if they want to run all windows software. We don't need a thread to discuss that do we?

sorry man . i have jack and wineasio working with ubuntu , i run ezdrummer solo hooked to ardour, but i always have problems with buffer xruns (firewire sound card) . i guess i just find wine and crossover not all what its cracked up to being imho. good luck i hope you get it figured out.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”