New Classic Deep House'ish song

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Something I started this morning to test my brothers new daw computer. Battery 3 for 909's, Pro 53's for all synths, and Drumaxx for additional percussion. mastered with ozone. Still working on the arrangement, but im liking what im hearing so far.

http://soundcloud.com/architecture-1/swing-with-me-2

I think the track is too fast to be Deep House, but I like it. I fall for some 909 style drums on modern productions. :D

The problem is that you don't have enough hi freqs. The hats aren't cutting enough, as they should for this kind of song. But even if you just increase the volume, the hats cymbals would become annoying after some bars. Maybe some close hat patterns with little shuffle could improve the groove and give the track some hat variation. Maybe it's me, but I think hats are a very important part of EDM, as they can provide some great variation and flavour to any song.

The synths are very good, and the lines interesting and moving. I'd EQ some of then, mainly the hi freqs.

The track ending is superb, but you could extend it to completly fade out.

Cool effort! Keep rockin'! :)

http://soundcloud.com/architecture-1/swing-with-me-2

Vastly updated version. Still working on the ending, its too short to me at the moment. I think im gonna ditch any attempts at making it modern as I like it the way it is. The modern music i hear, the more i realize, thats not what I want to make.

I'd say it's deep techno instead, but i really like it, very compelling.

It could use a bit more dynamics and some more arranging.
Nice one.

djgroovy wrote:I'd say it's deep techno instead, but i really like it, very compelling.

It could use a bit more dynamics and some more arranging.
Nice one.
Yea deep techno is about right. When I get time Ill sit down and see what i can do about arranging it and all that, when you say dynamics you mean more breakdowns buildups etc etc. This is just a one day rough draft mostly.

Yes, that's what i mean... doesn't need to be dramatic, just some changes so the energy level of the track isn't so constant.

Architecture wrote:I think im gonna ditch any attempts at making it modern as I like it the way it is. The modern music i hear, the more i realize, thats not what I want to make.
Yeah I like the sound of this production too. Sounds mid 90's ish. But I agree with djgroovy that the track could use some slight altering so that the energy level of the track isn't quite so constant.

I thought breakdowns and buildups only applied to late 90s trance? maybe that's just an extreme example though. I have some ideas for this track so ill see what i can come up with.

Quite like this, but tend to agree with the others. Like the change at 2:13

What's your target audience? I can see that in some settings this is exactly right as is.
It wasn't me! (well, actually, it probably was) - apparently now an 'elderly' so maybe I forgot!

folderol wrote:Quite like this, but tend to agree with the others. Like the change at 2:13

What's your target audience? I can see that in some settings this is exactly right as is.
Thats what im trying to find. a target audience.

Architecture wrote:
folderol wrote:Quite like this, but tend to agree with the others. Like the change at 2:13

Thats what im trying to find. a target audience.
I think it'd have gone down quite well on some of the late night stages at Glastonbury :)
It wasn't me! (well, actually, it probably was) - apparently now an 'elderly' so maybe I forgot!

I agree imho it's more deep techno then house.

I really like the vibe, I think with a bit polish it could be really good. I think the melodic elements are a bit too late at 2 minutes, I fell them after 1 minute. the first two minutes are a bit too boring at the moment imho.

by the way - that's my biggest problem. my first minutes are often too boring, I find it difficult to make a interesting 7 minute club arragement. Never had a problem with short 3 or 4 minutes songs.

but it's funny I really like the living 909 sound, but I never liked the 909 battery kit(I think it called new york house?). have you modified/processed it afterwards? groove quantisation or manually moved away from the grid?

best

J.C.R. wrote:I agree imho it's more deep techno then house.

I really like the vibe, I think with a bit polish it could be really good. I think the melodic elements are a bit too late at 2 minutes, I fell them after 1 minute. the first two minutes are a bit too boring at the moment imho.

by the way - that's my biggest problem. my first minutes are often too boring, I find it difficult to make a interesting 7 minute club arragement. Never had a problem with short 3 or 4 minutes songs.

but it's funny I really like the living 909 sound, but I never liked the 909 battery kit(I think it called new york house?). have you modified/processed it afterwards? groove quantisation or manually moved away from the grid?

best
Its called nein oh nine in Bat3. I also have a real 909 in my hardware studio, and ive over time have learned...how it should sound and grove. I just simply used live 6's groove function. swing 16. done. I did almost no processing to it for the most part. Im still trying to figure out what to do about the intro. Im at a point where the more i touch it, the more im screwing it up. Its an obvious sign i need a break from it. So now im working on other material until i get better ideas. From most 10 minutes mixes ive heard, the first 3 minutes are UGHHHH to me. I left it that way for easy mixing. let the dj pace it how he wants. Or do DJ's just what the songs to do the work for them? Im slightly out of touch with this part.

Im at a point where the more i touch it, the more im screwing it up. Its an obvious sign i need a break from it.
true, I know what you mean...
I left it that way for easy mixing
keep in mind that I like your track.

I think it's ok to do it, but many good tracks start after ~1 minute being interesting. I can only speak for me but I when I hear your track I'm starting beeing impatient (in a bad way) at this part.

To me it don't sound like "mix in here", to monotone too less build up, when the part drops after 2 minutes the track is really good.
I just simply used live 6's groove function. swing 16. done. I did almost no processing to it for the most part.
thanks for your information! so it's just plain 16 swing. no velocity tweaking or something?

best

I think I have more ideas as to what to do with it. I think what I may do is instead of having all the drums kick in at once, gradually build it up, and then maybe add a secondary melodic part to it. Something...ill have to make another synth patch to see what I can make to fit it.

Velocity tweaking? Im afraid im not that high tech. I work primarily like I would if i was using my actual TR909's sequencer, soft, normal, accent. I could get super technical and automation crazy, but Im kinda working back to that. I havent worked with automation in years, used to doing it all live on the spot.
I also didnt get back into SEQUENCING with computers until recently. Was doing it all on an MPC2000XL, editing by ear and numbers.

Now its all insanely easy!
:shock:

Return to “Music Cafe”