Side Streets and Stolen Glances

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

After all the years of group buys,marketplace deals and having produced nothing more than 4 bar loops, I manned up and took a crack at a complete track.

I'm not entirely happy with the drums, but also know that I have a ton to learn about arrangement and composition. Then there is the whole production side of the house. I just picked a t-racks setting and the first chain that didn't clip, I stuck with.

All critiques welcome (and encouraged)!

http://soundcloud.com/kicksandjackets/s ... lances-knj

Not too shabby i'd say.

You're having a good stab at EQ, panning and FX and that's where a lot of people who are starting out fall down imo.

Maybe take the reverb off the kick, you may need to separate the drums out onto separate channels if you've not done so already.

The hats maybe panned a little too much to the left.

As for the structure of a song, that comes over time. I really struggled with that when I first started out and loopitis was rife!

You've got a really cool atmosphere going, it could almost belong in a oldskool detective movie.

Keep it up :)

Thanks for the feedback, I really appreciate it!

I'm using a drum kit from sampletank, so my options are a bit limited to fix the drums. I'll see if zone edit can alleviate some of those problems.

I tried hard to not make this too loopy, but it's pretty hard. My inspirations (DJ shadow, Amon Tobin, Coldcut) generally are in in that vein. So I tried to spice it up by adding variations in the drums, horns, etc... But I also wanted to limit myself by not adding too many ideas and new sounds.

Return to “Music Cafe”