Digital Performer 8 Goes Windows!

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Signature blocked until 5000 posts made.

Never say never, I suppose.

If only Logic would make a return to Windows someday...

Any DP users excited about this? It's the one DAW I haven't tried yet.

Windows market is becoming populated. Now, the only one missing in it will be Logic. OTOH, on Mac we don't have Samplitude and Sonar.
Fernando (FMR)

Interesting. But since motu has always had a "mac is better" tude, I wonder why?

Couldn't have anything to do with the rumors that apple is downsizing their imac/macpro/macbookpro line?

Yes and no really.
In the future it will be cool though. I've always thought that a Mac laptop and a PC desktop was the best of both worlds, and DP is the main piece of software I use that prevents that from being totally smooth. Right now DP7 is Audio Unit only, not VST, so unless DP8 switches to VST or does like Live and has VST and Audio Units compatibility it will be tough to port project from DP PC to Mac DP.
Personally I've always liked DP as a sequencer without complex VSTs AU's because you can fully use the sequences in nested and fun ways, so using a laptop with DP and a Windows machine running a host like VE Pro that allows you to stream VSTs into DP audio tracks and run midi to them is a solution I was looking in to. Now if DP8 allows you to skip VE pro and includes this type of functionality that would be cool.

Basically as a non 64 bit capable laptop user, I'm a little disappointed for now, but in the future it will be cool I think.

Anyone knows where to look for more details? The Macmusic link points to MOTU site, but there's no information in there.
Fernando (FMR)

I liked DP when I used it. It's was far more stable than logic pro (yes, we are talking about that old dino)

edit: what I always forget is some daws are brilliant for film, I think DP is one of them.

Could be a good move
Last edited by hibidy on Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fmr wrote:Anyone knows where to look for more details? The Macmusic link points to MOTU site, but there's no information in there.
We're going to have to wait for more reports from the floor or later today when MOTU update their site I guess? I would like to hear about improvements besides 64 bit, Windows version and guitar plug ins, none of which I'm keen on upgrading for at this time, Maybe once I put together a PC desktop...

fmr wrote:Anyone knows where to look for more details? The Macmusic link points to MOTU site, but there's no information in there.
Picture of it running on win...

https://p.twimg.com/AjjHFS6CEAAXwsN.jpg:large

hibidy wrote:I liked DP when I used it. It's was far more stable than logic pro (yes, we are talking about that old dino)

But one has to think, is it really a market that just ready to be taken??
Studio One Pro v2 is a very good product, right now, and Reaper is becoming better. But Digital Performer was always the one I loved more, except maybe when there was Studio Vision, which was the only one that could compete with it in terms of elegance and straightfulness.

Those that only run Windows, you owe to yourselves to give it a try, trust me.
Fernando (FMR)

Wow? So what I wonder is whether or not they'll get any converts? IMO it's a hard sell to throw a full featured old school hardcore DAW on to a teenager unless they have dreams of becoming a recording engineer, and don't want to get the other contenders that get all the publicity like Pro Tools and Nuendno. People who are fed up with those two or who didn't take to the other film scoring DAWs in Windows land might be interested, how interested is another question.

Interesting. I never thought I'd see the day... but I guess as they had to start coding for Intels anyway, why not go all out? TO THE DARK SIDE. For the longest time I've used DP 4.1 on my G5 and Live on my Dell... but this could shake up things a lot. I sure would be tempted to get a license.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

fmr wrote:
hibidy wrote:I liked DP when I used it. It's was far more stable than logic pro (yes, we are talking about that old dino)

But one has to think, is it really a market that just ready to be taken??
Studio One Pro v2 is a very good product, right now, and Reaper is becoming better. But Digital Performer was always the one I loved more, except maybe when there was Studio Vision, which was the only one that could compete with it in terms of elegance and straightfulness.

Those that only run Windows, you owe to yourselves to give it a try, trust me.
I edited that post right before this :hihi:

I agree, I had totally forgot about what movie/score stuff it had. My bad, what little memory I had is fading too fast :cry:

haha - and I just bought a Mac

not that I was planning to get it anyway

aMUSEd wrote:haha - and I just bought a Mac

not that I was planning to get it anyway
I can understand that. Logic Pro is unbeatable in terms of price vs content, and maybe in terms of performance optimization, but DP also performs very well, although no so fully packed with stuff (effects are great, but the instruments can't be compared the Logic Pro ones)
Fernando (FMR)

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”