Zen Plus??

Official support for: bigtickaudio.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

OK, about Zen and meta-presets... I guess it should be feasible to have an additional plugin, named, say, "ZenMeta"... its presets would be managed just like the other ones... however, a ZenMeta preset would simply be a chain of other plugins (including, maybe, ZenMetas too).

I need to give more thought to the chaining of presets (I personally like the modular system of EnergyXT, but if I understand correctly, Kore implemented this through a bus matrix). And also, for ZenMeta presets, I'll need to manage the dependencies with activated plugins (you don't want to download a ZenMeta preset requiring a plugin that's not on your system).

Cool.

I like the surveyability of the layout of Kore; just little symbols of the plugins on top of each other in one column with the names of the presets next to them. The synth/sampler on top, the fx beneath them. Second synth/sampler to the right with its own FX beneath it, etc. There's also the bus option. A bus looks just like the other columns.
Click on the symbols to bypass the plugin, double click to open it.

For meta presets I don't think it's so bad if a plugin is missing, if you can prevent the program from crashing. You can replace the missing one with another one if it's a common sound/effect.

I like the eXT style layout too - not too attached to how Kore does that aspect (which seems rather like Live's session view but for sound design). Either way is fine by me - it's the variations and morphing I will miss most 9and being able to do that using hardware)

Ya, maybe it's possible to have morphing through sound variations midi controlled?
In Kore, turning a knob that belongs to a sound variation drags all parameters until they reach the sound variation.

Well, once you have all your sounds and fx's nicely laid out in a ZenMeta sound, morphing won't be too hard: ZenMeta could allow to define dynamic knobs, to which you would affect any parameters of the used plugins (with their own start/end values, like in the Rhino user sliders). Automate these knobs and you have your morphing.

Strange Request Big Tick...

Will Zen work in OS X 10.8? As you can imagine Im going to try 'freeze' my system as it is :)

How do you know for sure there will be an OSX 10.8 ?

:oops:

Im so sorry sir! I feel rather foolish pushing submit without re-reading - sorry...

That should read 10.5.8...

Sorry :oops:

Ahem... my current OSX is 10.6.7...

No worries at all mate! Sorry for being silly!

I'll certainly bookmark Zen for future reference!
Have a good weekend!

10.5.8 would be the latest osx that runs on a G4/G5. Maybe that's what you're talking about?

Im running a 2008 Macbook - 2.4 Core 2 Duo 4GB ram. Its fine and dandy, fast and stable enough for my needs thus far!

quickly upgrade to snow leopard then, before you can't get it anymore :) snow leopard is much faster and has nice little new options ;)
Your macbook has the same spec as my 2008 iMac, lol, maybe I'll not upgrade to Lion.

Well just thought I'd also point out a feature of Kore that I hope to see in Zen one day too. I feel it's been overlooked so far. One of the great sound design features of Kore was the ability to map multiple parameters to one control and then be able to edit the ranges (Min & Max value) of each parameter mapping. Being able to constrain the range of each parameter on that control was a super powerful sound design and performance tool. You can also look to Ableton's racks which also has this functionality. With this feature you can do things like constrain a filter cutoff or amp release to usable ranges. And if you layered multiple synths to create your sound you can map each cutoff from each plugin to one control then constrain the ranges of each parameter so that they sweep nicely together. And thats just a simple example of the power available with this kind of setup. Heck you could even map both synth and fx parameters from different plugins to one control if you wanted. Again just another simple example but there is great sound design flexibility to be had in them features.

And by the way like others have stated here I wouldn't mind paying for a Pro version of Zen if it meant that we see more features that mimic Kore. I wouldn't mind at all especially if that would mean development of such pro features would be quicker. I mean its great that your doing this for free and all but clearly there is a market for a Pro application of this sort. Kore had a huge following with good reason its just a shame that like many others I now feel so let down by them.

If you did the above with the parameter morphing feature then it would be a dream come true! For now it seems I'll continue to use Kore but will be testing out Zen and following you closely.

Everything I have read on this thread so far has been great especially your responses to users. Your future update plans seem very promising indeed... So good luck and keep up the good work! :P

Thanks !

Zen work has been slow lately, due to my involvement in a rather demanding project.

However, what you describe is quite similar to what I have in mind (remember that Rhino already has this, and doesn't necessarily have min < max, so yu can use a single slider for crossfades/morphs).

'Tick

Return to “Big Tick”