Mini Pops Tambourine

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi everyone,

This has been driving me nuts for the past days. I'm trying to rebuild the Korg Mini Pops "tambourine" sound in Zebra. As you can see from this picture of the spectrum analyzer here:

There's 3 pairs of 2 peaks each, around 5000Hz, 10.000Hz and 20.000Hz. So i'm thinking it was done with a comb filter probably. Problem is, i've been twiddling knobs with the comb in every setting, trying a bunch of filters etc...

Does anyone have an idea how i can achieve the same frequencies with the available filters in zebra? Any tips are much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Looks a lot like mirrored sidebands of about 700 khz, have you tried a frequency shifter or an FMO?

Hmmm frequency shifter. Good idea, haven't tried FMO either.

What would be the procedure to create a sideband in Zebra?

It couldn't be that hard though to replicate could it? The original sound was generated by a 40 year old synth (the Korg Mini-Pops). That's why it's been driving so crazy :D

Was the Mini-Pops sample based or were the sounds synthesized?

Thanks for the help!

xh3rv wrote:Looks a lot like mirrored sidebands of about 700 khz, have you tried a frequency shifter or an FMO?
You are a genious! I re-started from scratch, started with pink noise and added an SB3 in the master FX matrix. Dialed in some offset until it looked the same as the original sample in the spectrum analyzer.

Almost there, but now the sidebands are split between the left and right channel. So i added a mixer, and converted to mono.

Now all that's left is to add more sidebands for the other frequencies and i'll probably nail it.

Thanks again!

Polybius wrote:Was the Mini-Pops sample based or were the sounds synthesized?
Sample based in 1967...... Image Image

Ok seriously, it was all synthesized, that's why it's such a freaking classic. The sound is never the same.
"The educated person is one who knows how to find out what he does not know" - George Simmel
“It's what you learn after you know it all that counts.” - John Wooden

HunterKiller wrote:
Polybius wrote:Was the Mini-Pops sample based or were the sounds synthesized?
Sample based in 1967...... Image Image

Ok seriously, it was all synthesized, that's why it's such a freaking classic. The sound is never the same.
:oops:

Polybius wrote: What would be the procedure to create a sideband in Zebra?
Other than the SB module, FM or RM. There are some nuances I can never quite keep straight ... For sine waves, generally a modulator frequency and carrier frequency go in and sidebands above and below the carrier come out. I'm pretty sure the google-able Sound On Sound synth secrets articles have great info.

There are probably several ways to do this the right way in Zebra, sounds like you found one - glad it worked :phew: :)

Polybius wrote:
xh3rv wrote:Looks a lot like mirrored sidebands of about 700 khz, have you tried a frequency shifter or an FMO?
You are a genious! I re-started from scratch, started with pink noise and added an SB3 in the master FX matrix. Dialed in some offset until it looked the same as the original sample in the spectrum analyzer.

Almost there, but now the sidebands are split between the left and right channel. So i added a mixer, and converted to mono.

Now all that's left is to add more sidebands for the other frequencies and i'll probably nail it.

Thanks again!
would you mind sharing the patch?

I would like to try it and see what I can do with it

rsmus7 wrote:
Polybius wrote:

Thanks again!
would you mind sharing the patch?

I would like to try it and see what I can do with it
Ofcourse, have at it! :)

http://users.telenet.be/bogaard/temp/mptamb.zip

The patch is not finished yet though, i've still to try the FM route and see how that goes. I think FM will be more practical, because now i'm using two noise generators.

Be sure to let us know what you can come up with!

Greeetings

For anyone who's interested. I managed to nail the sound pretty much, the key was to use a VCF with the "AP Phaser 8" modus. This mode creates 8 peaks like the one shown in my first post. All that's left after that is to add an SB module and split accordingly, lastly, some BP filter and EQ twiddling pretty much nailed it.

Patches can be downloaded here:

http://users.telenet.be/bogaard/temp/tambourine.zip

I also added a patch which can be used more musically, it shakes along nicely :)

*edit*

Nearly done with the quijada and guiro. All that's left after that is the snares, kicks, hihats, combells etc... :)

All will be included in a future "Switched on 2.5" release. Which will be a bit more "spectacular" than all the previous ones.

Nice work dude.

You know it'd be awesome if Urs went ahead and did an uhe version of Spark Vintage Drums, with the Minipops7 included plus all the classic beats plus ways to edit them to your taste through effects and what not. :P

Elektrostudio's free Rhythmus is spot on with how a real MP7 functions, the only gripe being that some of the instruments aren't anywhere near their correct timbres, ie the bass drum, the snares and the tambourine being the least well emulated.
"The educated person is one who knows how to find out what he does not know" - George Simmel

Elektrostudio's free Rhythmus is spot on with how a real MP7 functions, the only gripe being that some of the instruments aren't anywhere near their correct timbres, ie the bass drum, the snares and the tambourine being the least well emulated.
Eep... the source from my tambourine patch is modeled after the Rhytmus tambourine, that's the only KMP-7 sound I couldn't find any sample of. :lol:

The rest of the patches will be modeled after real samples though.

If someone can point me to a free Mini Pops tambourine sample, i'll remodel my patch :)

Polybius wrote:
Eep... the source from my tambourine patch is modeled after the Rhytmus tambourine, that's the only KMP-7 sound I couldn't find any sample of. :lol:

The rest of the patches will be modeled after real samples though.

If someone can point me to a free Mini Pops tambourine sample, i'll remodel my patch :)
. . . . . .. . . . . . . . . . . ,.-'". . . . . . . . . .''~.,
. . . . . . . .. . . . . .,.-". . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ."-.,
. . . . .. . . . . . ..,/. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ":,
. . . . . . . .. .,?. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\,
. . . . . . . . . /. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,}
. . . . . . . . ./. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:'^'.}
. . . . . . . ./. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:". . . ./
. . . . . . .?. . . __. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :'. . . ./
. . . . . . . /__.(. . ."~-,_. . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:'. . . .. ./
. . . . . . /(_. . "~,_. . . .."~,_. . . . . . . . . .,:'. . . . _/
. . . .. .{.._$;_. . ."=,_. . . ."-,_. . . ,.-~-,}, .~"; /. .. .}
. . .. . .((. . .*~_. . . ."=-._. . .";,,./'. . /" . . . ./. .. ../
. . . .. . .\'~,. . .."~.,. . . . . . . . . ..'. . .}. . . . . . ../
. . . . . .(. ..'=-,,. . . .'. . . . . . . . . . . ..(. . . ;_,,-"
. . . . . ../.'~,. . ..'-.. . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..\. . /\
. . . . . . \'~.*-,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..|,./.....\,__
,,_. . . . . }.>-._\. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .|. . . . . . ..'=~-,
. .. '=~-,_\_. . . '\,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\
. . . . . . . . . .'=~-,,.\,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ':,, . . . . . . . . . . . . . '\. . . . . . ..__
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .'=-,. . . . . . . . . .,%'>--==''
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . _\. . . . . ._,-%. . . ..'

I've got the proper one, still need it?

Haha, picard ascii facepalm ftw!

Yeah sure, you can send the sample to tragicvariant@gmail.com

Thanks!

Polybius wrote:Haha, picard ascii facepalm ftw!

Yeah sure, you can send the sample to tragicvariant@gmail.com

Thanks!
Just sent it to you.

I also included the kick drum, the snares and cymbals.

Return to “u-he”