Tuned feedback?

Modular Synth design and releases (Reaktor, SynthEdit, Tassman, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I made a delay with max delay time set to 1 second and a knob controller with range 0-1.

Setting 0.019 gives me C5 for example.

How do I calculate and set approriate delays for different notes? Any ideas, my maths aren't so good...

Also the resolution of the delay2 module doesn't seem too big, does anybody know of a module that allows for greater accuracy in setting the delay time?

Oh, and is there a way of setting the polarity of the feedback?

the frequency of any note is:

f = 440 * 2^(x/12)

where x is the number of halfnotes away from A4. If you can't do ^ (to the power of), use

f = 440 * exp(ln(2)*x/12)

And the relation between time and frequency is inverse, so:

time = 1/freq

where f is calculated as above.
I'm mostly into vintage VSTis.

get your crasy zynths here:
http://www.f.kth.se/~f98-sst/vst/

Ah yes, of course, stoopid me :P

Yes, but how to translate this information to Synthedit correctly? The resolution of delay2 module is 1ms, and apparently this isn't enough to achieve all tunings correctly.
Oh, wait... Or maybe it's the knob controller that's limited actually? Hmm, gotta check that out.

C5 (523.25hz) would actually be 19.1132ms, but the module allows only for 19ms delay...

-Kim

I used a constant modulator 0.001911132 and actually got 517hz, whereas 0.0019 gave me 520, which is much closer to the correct tuning. (=523.25 for C5)

I tried monitoring the modulator with a volt meter module, but it shows 0.019 no matter what the decimals after the third one are.
Still, I got different tunings with the two different values so I guess that the delay module can handle greater than three digit accuracy?

Still investigating...

Update:
OK, the tunings seem fine now. Delay2 _does_ seem to accept rather accurate values.

Phew. And now finally into actual FX building stuff ;)

Return to “Modular Synthesis”