SynthEdit Creators – Get Listed – Get Featured

Modular Synth design and releases (Reaktor, SynthEdit, Tassman, etc.)

Good idea for synthedit creators?

Yes
80%
No
5%
Other
15%

Total votes: 20

RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi all!...

here i come back to give you the link to my website:
www.7fan.com
(sound as setfan)

You will find some fresh pictures of my graphic works (i'm professionnal graphic designer as i told before and worked as lead artist too on various video-games) But Sound won't be forget because it's were you'll find my tunes. You'll see, too, a screen of my first GUI made for my first SE creation. You will be able to have a look (just a teaser in fact) to my coming new synth. It would be dedicated to industrial tracks, hard house, jungle, break-beat, electronica, glitsch... It will features some... I'll tell you more... Later. :+)
I hope to release as soon as possible some my sound production in coming days or weeks...

So let's go to work and have good vibes to all.
Cheers,
7fan.

x_bruce wrote:Regarding the Yahoo list, I'm on it and felt like not getting involved because the vibe when I was reading was kind of intense.
Yeah, some of it has been pretty unpleasant to endure.
x_bruce wrote:As for all the discussion on making money, etc.
I don't take issue so much with people charging money for whatever they want, but I do take issue with those people assuming that everyone within a given social group (web community or whatever) is driven by the same need for commerce. I could find you dozens of messages aimed at other synthedit users calling on them to change their attitudes in order for there to be money made. But the commerce aspect appears to drive maybe 2% of the user community at most.

I'm afraid I'm slightly pedantic on this, as I consider Synthedit the instrument and the plugins the patches. Not a popular position, and not entirely accurate I can admit, but I think Jeff has made a truly excellent modular synth, rather than a plugin development environment, and would like to encourage others to think of it that way to support his efforts.

Cheers,
Steve

I agree Jeff deserves a lot more credit than he's taking but I've asked him about it a year ago and he didn't seem upset.

A much larger percent of people had serious issues with Dash selling Reaktor ensembles. I think Reaktor is a programming environment. In fact, some of the best developers never charged a penny for their work while several good ones including a friend felt they should be paid for their work.

You are thiking an ideology and that's almost as bad a religion or Mac/PC when discussed.
Reviews http://www.musicfaq.net
Selected tracks from new album TRAUMA :
http://netnewmusic.ning.com/profile/BSatinover

x_bruce wrote:You are thiking an ideology and that's almost as bad a religion or Mac/PC when discussed.
Perhaps. I don't know if I'd go that far, though.

More, I'd rather see folks accept what they have before them as what it is, rather than dress it up in pretensions.

I'm not arguing which is better, either, just that there is a difference that people should acknowledge between what anyone using SE does to what say Ohm Force or Big Tick does.

The best example I can think is Theremin kits. You may put together a Theremin kit with a skill and artistry unparallelled elsewhere, and no one can denigrate your achievement, but at the end of the day there is a fundamental difference between your final product and a minimoog or a korg triton or an original Theremin or whatever. Different doesn't necessarily mean less important or not as good, just different.

I think we should all embrace different, but that might just be me (and at least rurik I would guess). On your synth demo site, I always liked what you had to say about one of Odo's synths regarding the burgeoning of the artist community. That to me is a far more open concept for SE, as it allows all takers in, artists and the business-minded alike, rather than the endless "SE is equal to lower level coding environments" argument that we see too often, which to me tries to cast SE in one light for a small group's monetary gain.

Anyway, I don't wish to sink SE's reputation further in this back and forth, and generally I try to avoid rehashing it, since as you suggest, holy wars rarely resolve themselves.

Cheers,
Steve

shamann wrote:
x_bruce wrote:You are thiking an ideology and that's almost as bad a religion or Mac/PC when discussed.
Perhaps. I don't know if I'd go that far, though.

More, I'd rather see folks accept what they have before them as what it is, rather than dress it up in pretensions.

I'm not arguing which is better, either, just that there is a difference that people should acknowledge between what anyone using SE does to what say Ohm Force or Big Tick does.

The best example I can think is Theremin kits. You may put together a Theremin kit with a skill and artistry unparallelled elsewhere, and no one can denigrate your achievement, but at the end of the day there is a fundamental difference between your final product and a minimoog or a korg triton or an original Theremin or whatever. Different doesn't necessarily mean less important or not as good, just different.

I think we should all embrace different, but that might just be me (and at least rurik I would guess). On your synth demo site, I always liked what you had to say about one of Odo's synths regarding the burgeoning of the artist community. That to me is a far more open concept for SE, as it allows all takers in, artists and the business-minded alike, rather than the endless "SE is equal to lower level coding environments" argument that we see too often, which to me tries to cast SE in one light for a small group's monetary gain.

Anyway, I don't wish to sink SE's reputation further in this back and forth, and generally I try to avoid rehashing it, since as you suggest, holy wars rarely resolve themselves.

Cheers,
Steve
Hi! Steve,

What do you think of developers who make use of 'tools' from here?

http://www.componentsource.com

Just putting another light on it all. :wink:

Best regards,

Spe3d

:O)

Spe3D wrote:What do you think of developers who make use of 'tools' from here?

Again it's not that I have problem with any of it, but there still is a difference. These tools are great and I'm in favour of fast development to get the job done.

One of the things with using pre-designed building blocks for any kind of construction is that certain behaviours are prescribed by someone else, and all derivatives will adhere to that prescribed behaviour. Some tools impose less of a footprint, while others impose more.

So in SE, even though you can code your own modules, there are certain characteristics like polyphony handling or patch/file management that are inevitable. There's still a lot of flexibility, but it is still a different kind of beast.

Again, nothing wrong with that, but why bother pretending one thing is something that it isn't.

Cheers,
Steve

Spe3D wrote: Hi! Steve,

What do you think of developers who make use of 'tools' from here?

Best regards,

Spe3d

:O)

:hihi:

ah, truth has a way of soothing me. I feel better already.
:D
resistors are futile you will be simulated
Soundcloud
T4M

shamann, I'll give you this, you have a tenatious feeling on the issue and that is something I respect.

At least there will be some serious recognition soon, that's something good, right? In fact, I'll tell you what. If you want to argue your point and we can find someone to argue the other side I'll make sure the discussion is at muiscFAQ.net.

Keep it freiendly though and remember we'll need a spokesperson from the other side.
Reviews http://www.musicfaq.net
Selected tracks from new album TRAUMA :
http://netnewmusic.ning.com/profile/BSatinover

I don't thinck myself as one of great codes that build some great VSTI or VSTE and i thinck i'm modest. But i see SE as a tool. i found in this software a way to express my skills in various aspects and to mix knowledge i've been teached at school (in my case, Industrial Design). Se helps me to build and cross various concept and works that make me feel happy and move my life to try to earn some money with a passion. When i worked in video-games i used to do my best for what i was doing. I tried to create the better things i could with respect of rules and lilits not often friends: money, team aspect, creativity from various people and art. Now i want to put in my music, my VSTIs, the soul and some ideas (visions, big word but why not) and concepts i can have. SE give me the medium to put multiple aspects of art and technics to create some cool software, but at first i want to give the users that could use my VSTI, a way to enter a world i could have contribute to build, to feel or play some music with some instruments i could be in some a part of it: Why looking to people doing something and staying outside, why not getting involve in the scene? Well, i can be dreaming, but it's a part of the dream i hope to share with people, and they could like, love... the mood they would feel.
I hope you understand my point of view and i'm not a fan of polemic, but looking to SE's Scene as a children park as it seems so often compared, can be so easy. A lot of people are working hard, some might get out with gold crown... let's have a pretentious word, why not me?... :+)
Have good vibes, good night, or good day.

Cheers,
7fan

x_bruce wrote:In fact, I'll tell you what. If you want to argue your point and we can find someone to argue the other side I'll make sure the discussion is at muiscFAQ.net.
I don't know about a debate. I really love Synthedit, and wouldn't want my comments to be misconstrued as an attack on it.

I've thought about contacting you however on the SE freeware reviews for musicFAQ in the past, but wasn't certain how much time I could commit. I would gladly contribute to SE-related content if you'd like (could commit a few hours a week maybe).

If Gabriel (spoonboiler) is your SE editor, he has my home email. Let me know if you want a slightly grumpy/cynical voice to add to the mix.

Cheers,
Steve

Return to “Modular Synthesis”