Anyone into Cymatics? The Study of Visual Sound

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Anyone on here into or aware of Cymatics? awesome stuff

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Cymatics/164007517075627

The only time I ever saw sound was after eating large amounts of really good acid.

Ages ago.. did experiments with graphite and bronze/brass filings on large sheets of various materials, and some steel-drum heads. "Bowed" the metal plates, and/or attached small motors (fish-tank-pumps/dremels/scroll-saws, etc), to the bottom of them... hit the switch... viola!

Fascinating stuff.
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

Shabdahbriah wrote:Ages ago.. did experiments with graphite and bronze/brass filings on large sheets of various materials, and some steel-drum heads. "Bowed" the metal plates, and/or attached small motors (fish-tank-pumps/dremels/scroll-saws, etc), to the bottom of them... hit the switch... viola!

Fascinating stuff.
AWESOME

robojam wrote:The only time I ever saw sound was after eating large amounts of really good acid.
:hihi:

aka chladni plates (may pull up better vids)
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

xoxos wrote:aka chladni plates (may pull up better vids)
thank you :)

memyselfandus wrote:Anyone on here into or aware of Cymatics? awesome stuff

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Cymatics/164007517075627
I really don't see a point in it ?? You can build entirely different recognition system and it will produce entirely different images/shapes/vibration whatever which will have same value like the first one. It's like they are trying to invent different language which has the very same value as someone elses language (given that someone else will do again entirely different interpretation).

What's the point really? I am not bored and i do think that human sound interpretation (hearing) is still literally amazing, magical and already awesome.

I was more impressed with Tesla coils and weird projects surrounding it..

kmonkey wrote: What's the point really?
media comes to rest on nodes thereby illustrating the virbational mode, eg. if you look ino harmonics for discs and plates, you'll see the vibratory modes described by two integers eg. (0,1)

i think it's like water, allows you to more easily visualise vibratory propagation. "physically informative" i guess.

hey, if you don't smoke, that's your business :D
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

xoxos wrote:
kmonkey wrote: What's the point really?
media comes to rest on nodes thereby illustrating the virbational mode, eg. if you look ino harmonics for discs and plates, you'll see the vibratory modes described by two integers eg. (0,1)

i think it's like water, allows you to more easily visualise vibratory propagation. "physically informative" i guess.
Exactly. I just find it fascinating, not only "artistically", but from a perspective of the physics of interaction, in creating the "waves". But then, I was (the 'family story' goes) drawing mandala's since I could hold a crayon, sooo, these patterns look "familiar" to me. So do many types of fractals for that matter. that said:

In my example (above) where I would draw a 'bow' (cello) on the edge of a metal plate.

I was enthralled by the different patterns of various material(s) that evolved relative to the thickness of the plate, and where it was bowed. How those patterns changed (were affected by) affixing magnets (glued to non-ferrous material) or blocks of wood, to the bottom (or top) of the plate, and/or placing 'clamps' around the edges, etc.

All (apparent) "solids" being "vibrations" (fluid/malleable) on a sub-atomic scale... makes one 'wonder'.

:wink:
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”