What is KVR Audio? | Submit News | Advertise | Developer Account

Options (Affects News & Product results only):

OS:
Format:
Include:
Quick Search KVR

"Quick Search" KVR Audio's Product Database, News Items, Developer Listings, Forum Topics and videos here. For advanced Product Database searching please use the full product search. For the forum you can use the phpBB forum search.

To utilize the power of Google you can use the integrated Google Site Search.

Products 0

Developers 0

News 0

Forum 0

Videos 0

Search  

do you think cubase is falling behind?

Plug-in hosts and other software applications discussion

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

KVRAF
 
4358 posts since 4 Dec, 2004

Postby LawrenceF; Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:39 pm

Yes, I think that's possible.

Try stacking a ton of really heavy plugs on one channel and you'll maybe see the ASIO meter up pretty high while your overal lsystem cpu meter is low. I think that's because the channel stack only uses one core, but I'll defer to the experts on all that.

But it seems to be possible to overload a single core while the other 3 aren't doing much of anything and (I guess) some ASIO meters read load while others mimick the windows cpu meter, dunno. It seems to confuse people, the relative comparisons of cpu meters from product to product.

Maybe the FLStudio dev guy needs to clarify all that agian, how not all daw cpu meters are the same.
KVRAF
 
1860 posts since 19 Sep, 2011

Postby AstralExistence; Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:49 pm

without understanding all the technology of asio/cpu if i just look at how cubase performs when compared to reaper/mutools/and maybe flstudio with smart disable, cubase performance wise just isnt up to par.
simply loading cubase7 my pc fan often turns on while when i load reaper, no lie, the fan often just shuts off. i just cant grasp this. seeing how my father paid 300 dollars for artist 7.

yep, by simply closing cubase/opening reaper, the fan just shuts off.

absynth uses 8-10 percent cpu on large v5 patches but usually uses no more then 0.8-2 percent and completely shuts off/uses no cpu when not playing. its pretty cpu efficient definitely no diva. i cant figure this out.
KVRAF
 
1860 posts since 19 Sep, 2011

Postby AstralExistence; Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:05 pm

LawrenceF wrote:
Try stacking a ton of really heavy plugs on one channel


absynth is quite cpu efficient.
User avatar
KVRAF
 
2728 posts since 10 Apr, 2010, from Germany

Postby chk071; Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:09 pm

Do you get CPU/ASIO spikes with other plugins as well, or just with abysnth?
User avatar
KVRAF
 
2436 posts since 2 Jul, 2007, from Oxycontin Acres, Georgia, USA

Postby SODDI; Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:26 pm

Try turning off Absynth's internal FX, particularly the resonator and that aetherializer thing or whatever it's called.
KVRAF
 
1860 posts since 19 Sep, 2011

Postby AstralExistence; Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:02 pm

it really doesn't do much to turn of the effects. cpu is already quite low. to answer the question, i do remember padshop getting overloads but i thought it was because i had the non asio driver being used but now im not so sure.
Last edited by AstralExistence on Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KVRAF
 
1860 posts since 19 Sep, 2011

Postby AstralExistence; Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:05 pm

im going to try some other vstis and see if i get spikes. but this is awful. i would feel better if i knew others were getting spikes/overloads. i wonder if this is a case of occams razor? could cubase really be at fault? absynth runs rock solid in reaper/mutools and im guessing fl studio (with a bit more cpu)

i dont think ill sell cubase because of this as that would be stupid, but seeing as how nobody know, i guess ill use another daw till these issues are fixed and im going to contact both steinberg/n.i to find out what the hell is going on because it seems nobody knows. as beavis says, "This Sucks." :(
Last edited by AstralExistence on Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KVRAF
 
40209 posts since 20 Dec, 2005

Postby hibidy; Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:21 pm

Edit: I didn't read the rest, looks like you are still having some issues. Hope it gets worked out.
KVRAF
 
1860 posts since 19 Sep, 2011

Postby AstralExistence; Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:42 pm

hibidy wrote:Edit: I didn't read the rest, looks like you are still having some issues. Hope it gets worked out.


well, i just figured out that the fan was turning on due to the power scheme being turned on. so that one bird killed.
KVRAF
 
1860 posts since 19 Sep, 2011

Postby AstralExistence; Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:55 am

ok, i did some cpu tests. it seems that the reason why i thought cubase used much more cpu then other daws is because of how i read or rather misread the performance meter. upon adding a single instance of absynth and valhalla room, the performance meter shows 1 core being used and a bit more in the asio readout. now, when you actually play the synth with a midi controller, the performance meter shoots up to 2 cores or more.
one would assume that if by adding only 1 instance of absynth and valhalla room that the cpu asio meter already shows two cores being used, one could only add 1 or at most 2 instances more before the cpu overloads.

but i realized that wasn't the case. after adding 2 instances, then 4, 6, 8, the performance meter keeps going down, to about 8 instances of absynth (with each track playing a different note with 1/4 notes in a straight line on random note so theirs no note spaces and all 16 beats being used, so as to give the impression that your actually playing it on a midi controller.
at about 8 instances of the same midi notes playing on 8 tracks cpu overload occurs on 512 samples, crackles occur at about 98 percent capacity which is very impressive with the fan turning on at 90 percent. switching to maximum 4096 buffer allows 4 more absynth instances, making that 12 tracks playing the same random 1/4th notes.

now, when talking about single sustained notes, a single note being 8 bars in length, i had about 22 layers playing the same note at once making 22 tracks. after 22 tracks, i got tired but i bet i could have added quite a few more before cpu overload.

*also, i used the same patch through both stress tests, (the absynth alien trumpet patch which is one of the most cpu intensive patches in absynth 5) with this in mind, i could have got much more instances of absynth in both cases as most absynth patches are very cpu effcient.

so now, i know that cpu is not an issue but im still unsure why occasionally(most often when adding a new vsti, or auditioning presets the asio meter spikes.
User avatar
KVRAF
 
2989 posts since 4 Jul, 2001, from Prattville, AL

Postby SJ_Digriz; Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:30 pm

No
I'm not insane. I'm reality challenged.
KVRAF
 
1860 posts since 19 Sep, 2011

Postby AstralExistence; Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:43 pm

SJ_Digriz wrote:No


oh yeah in regards to my original question. yeah its definitely not. but as others have said even though steinberg eventually get it right the early version are almost beta.
User avatar
KVRAF
 
2728 posts since 10 Apr, 2010, from Germany

Postby chk071; Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:50 pm

AstralExistence wrote:
SJ_Digriz wrote:No


oh yeah in regards to my original question. yeah its definitely not. but as others have said even though steinberg eventually get it right the early version are almost beta.

No. :P
KVRian
 
592 posts since 12 Aug, 2005
 

Postby monkeymanx; Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:09 pm

SJ_Digriz wrote:No


Correct!
User avatar
KVRAF
 
2989 posts since 4 Jul, 2001, from Prattville, AL

Postby SJ_Digriz; Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:26 pm

AstralExistence wrote: the early version are almost beta.
No more or less than any other application. Complete straw man bullshit.
I'm not insane. I'm reality challenged.
PreviousNext

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)