Cantabile for live vocals?

Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey there, first post, good to be here.

Was thinking of using Cantabile for changing vocal effects when singing live, using different reverbs/delays/delay times for different songs, and different parts of songs.

Is this a good idea, what with latency etc?

I'd probaby be using iZotope Nectar (set to 'tracking' mode to keep latency at a minimum) which I'd use for compression/saturation/doubling, and the fabfilter pro-q EQ (set to 'zero' latency mode).. a bit of reverb/delay latency wouldn't be as noticeable I guess..?

Is anyone doing anything like this with Cantabile at the moment when singing live? Have you been successful? Got good results or bad results?

Any tips/advice would be much appreciated, thanks!

Basically this should work.

Latency is always critical, no clue about realtime singing but I guess this is critical, especially when you have direct paths (maybe dry monitor) and processed paths (PA) where any kind of latency overlaying the direct signal might produce various effects depending on time shift.

The algorithms itself may not really be different on VST's or HW running similar stuff as dedicated dsp code.

If there is HW creating similar stuff you want you should carefully compare this with a PC solution running Cantabile.

I always recommend trying the free Cantabile lite or one of the 30 days trial versions to check out if this works like you need it.
Best regards, TiUser
...and keep on jamming...

You can do this in Cantabile:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kU0skUZTIw

What's the message? Cantabile is better than Mainstage on Apple?? :hihi:
Best regards, TiUser
...and keep on jamming...

Thanks guys, so far it seems any latency I'm getting is unnoticeable :)

There is one thing though, a bug I guess..? I'm starting to get a little closer to max CPU load, I'm using the 64bit version, so I'm trying to use just 64bit plugins to make the most of my RAM.. I have a few Waves plugins, both the 64 and 32bit versions.. When I load the 64bit versions, it just opens a transparent box for each of them. I have to jBridge the 32bit versions in order for them to open properly.. The 64bit versions open fine in other hosts... so any ideas?

Thanks again!

the message is simply that using a plugin host to handle vocals is being done in front of arena audiences - and that it works.

You takes yer choice as to how you do it.

Cantabile can do all the stuff you see in the mainstage vid (as I said in my post 'cantabile can do this') - and more.

The efficiency of any host is also determined by the quality of the audio interface driver and the plugins.

Return to “Topten Software”