2CAudio B2: Full Body. Maximum Attitude.

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
B2

Simon Morrison wrote:Truly wonderful algorithms and sound quality!
Thanks,
Simon Morrison wrote: The CPU usage is pretty heavy on my setup: 30-90% CPU for one instance.

Is this expected behavior?
CPU usage is variable by preset. The difference between min and max is pretty huge--something like 150 times (not 150%, but 150X!!!) the minimum preset.

The "4C presets" you mentioned are among the most heavy in the factory presets.

CPU usage is variable depending on:

1) Density/Diffusion mode. XTRM vs Nano is 10x as heavy.

2) Oversampling: 2x is more than twice as heavy, 4x is more than 4x as heavy and NOT recommended for real-time use, as it also saturates the cache and slows things down a lot.

3) Dual vs Single. Dual can be 2x as much.

4) Modulation: off, Lo, Med, High High vs off might result in 50% extra CPU usage

5) New Air filters can require extra CPU usage

6) Diffusion on/Disabled

etc.

In the new preset expansions, some of the presets are designed to demonstrate what can be achieved with lower CPU usage settings. More on this later...

Breeze wrote: B2 can be a real CPU monster,
Can be, yes. But does not need to be at all times...

Breeze wrote: I suppose that's why 2cAudio removed the Realtime Perfection and Obsession Interpolation modes... ;)
They were never available as real-time options. They are meant to be used only for bounces...

elxsound wrote:Anybody experiencing crashing Live 9.0.5 (64bit)? I can't get B2 to open. As soon as I load it into a project, Live crashes.

Andrew, I have the crash log from apple and the saved Live project if needed.

As I'm writing this I realize I overwrote the previous beta, so the plan is to uninstall B2 completely and start again. I'll report back if it works. 8)

Did I miss the message about uninstalling the last (public) beta before installing this one? (Honestly missed it).

(Didn't see any warnings in the text in the zipped package).

I've had instant crashes with 64 bit VST & AU in: Maschine, Live 9.0.5 and Studio 1.

32 bit seems to be okay though.

taoyoyo wrote: Did I miss the message about uninstalling the last (public) beta before installing this one? (Honestly missed it).

Not necessary...
taoyoyo wrote: I've had instant crashes with 64 bit VST & AU in: Maschine, Live 9.0.5 and Studio 1.

in empty projects, just new project, add audio track, add B2?

Galbanum wrote:They were never available as real-time options. They are meant to be used only for bounces...
Are you sure? I remember the very first time I tried Aether and maxing all the quality settings, playing it realtime and my CPU hitting the high 90's but still being playable, and being totally amazed by the sound... Maybe I'm wrong...

Galbanum wrote:
taoyoyo wrote: Did I miss the message about uninstalling the last (public) beta before installing this one? (Honestly missed it).

Not necessary...
taoyoyo wrote: I've had instant crashes with 64 bit VST & AU in: Maschine, Live 9.0.5 and Studio 1.

in empty projects, just new project, add audio track, add B2?
Hi Andrew,

Yes, empty projects, one virtual instrument (u-he Ace... first on the list!) followed by B2... it crashed every time in 64bit DAWs here.

Cheers,

Alan

Is this forum now the place to post about the "Beta" rather than through an official email channel ?

Anyhow, just downloaded this and updated into my Win7 64bit system.
B2 now shows up correctly in Samplitude ProX as a selectable effect; thank you for that fix.

Off to test out the new stuff and see if'n I can break it.

Thank you Andrew and Co :)

Dunc wrote:Is this forum now the place to post about the "Beta" rather than through an official email channel ?

If you are a part of the beta team, email to the beta address is best.

If not, you can discuss things here...

Breeze wrote:
Galbanum wrote:They were never available as real-time options. They are meant to be used only for bounces...
Are you sure? I remember the very first time I tried Aether and maxing all the quality settings, playing it realtime and my CPU hitting the high 90's but still being playable, and being totally amazed by the sound... Maybe I'm wrong...
4X OS can get up there all by itself without even using the offline interpolation options.

You can if you wish, switch auto/force-offline to "force offline". Then you will be using the offline settings for realtime. You might be able to use "perfection" mode with 2x OS for realtime if you don't care about maxing out a single core.

(if you are doing solo piano or GTR work, this might be perfectly acceptable.)

We did put the "perfection" option into the real-time menu of Aether in the latest build, but I think we should remove it, as people don't tend to read the manual, and assume they should just use this setting for normal use.... and if you use "force-offline" then you can really try whatever you want for real-time anyway...

taoyoyo wrote:
Yes, empty projects, one virtual instrument (u-he Ace... first on the list!) followed by B2... it crashed every time in 64bit DAWs here.

OK, we have some new code that checks your CPU to determine if we should use SSE or AVX vector instructions. Seems maybe it gives some issues on some systems. Exploring...

Galbanum wrote:
taoyoyo wrote:

OK, we have some new code that checks your CPU to determine if we should use SSE or AVX vector instructions. Seems maybe it gives some issues on some systems. Exploring...
Interesting (but slightly above my head ;) )... thanks for the update Andrew. "_

OK,

If the last build crashes for you, please re-download the update again.

Run the installer if you have not already. (If you already did this, you don't need to do it again.)

Inside the download folder there is a new folder called:

"SPECIAL TESTING VERSIONS"

Inside this folder there are two folders:

"NO_AVX"
"NO_FMA"

Inside these folders you will find:

audplg64.dll (on windows)
audplg.dylib (on OSX)

Please try the following:

1) replace original dll/dylib with the one from /NO_AVX folder
Win: move the new "audplg64.dll" from the "No_AVX" Folder to C:\Program Files\2C-Audio\B2\ replacing the existing file.

OSX: move the new "audplg64.dylib " from the "No_AVX" Folder to \Library\Application Support\2C-Audio\B2\ replacing the existing file.

2) If it works ok, check out the platform suffix in the plug-in version number given on the info page of our GUI (so we know if it's SSE2/AVX/AVX2). This is very important!!! It should be one of the following:
"Version 1.2.0 [b228] x64 SSE"
"Version 1.2.0 [b228] x64 AVX"
"Version 1.2.0 [b228] x64 AVX2"
Tell us which you see.

3) If you see AVX or AVX2, then quit your host, and replace the current dll/dylib with the one from /NO_FMA folder

Win: move the new "audplg64.dll" from the "No_FMA" Folder to C:\Program Files\2C-Audio\B2\ replacing the existing file.

OSX: move the new "audplg64.dylib " from the "No_FMA" Folder to \Library\Application Support\2C-Audio\B2\ replacing the existing file.

4) Launch the host and try this version from /NO_FMA and let us know the result.

5) report all that to us + provide detailed info on the CPU model
(exact model please, not just like 'core i5')

Thanks for your input. Your help with this is greatly appreciated b/c we do not see this issue on our machines so we are dependant on what you guys tell us...

Hi Andrew... followed your instructions:

Replacing the file with the NO_AVX version gave me this:

Version 1.2.0 [b228] x64 AVX

I then replaced that file with the NO_FMA version.

Loaded up the DAWs... Maschine, Live 9 and Studio 1 and got crashes every time.

Here are my MBP specs:

Late 2011 Macbook Pro

Processor: Intel Core i7 2.2 GHz

RAM: 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

Graphics AMD Radeon HD 6750M 512 MB

I have crash reports if you need them (let me know where to send them to :) )

Cheers,

Alan

Galbanum wrote:
aMUSEd wrote: Installed it now - that's not the old large size back, that's an insanely humungous size, too big even for my 32 inch monitor. The old one was just right :(
ya, but Kim Kardashian said in "Starz" that size DOES matter...

(just think of it as preemptively preparing for 4K displays...)
OK but I just want the old gui back - I don't know why you removed it, just giving people alternative skins would have been enough. It really annoys me how the people who complained about the gui got listened too but the people who liked it in the first place were ignored. Right now it's either too small for me to see clearly or too large to fit my screen. The old one was perfect.

btw am I the only one that can't have B2 and Aether open at the same time? If I have both of them in a project (multiple hosts) and open the gui of one, as soon as I click to open the gui of the other I get a crash. Mac ML, AU.

Also the VST of Aether crashes Bidule every time I try and open even one instance.

Return to “Effects”