Installing Traktor 2.6.1+ on OSX 10.6.8 ... ?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

NI dropped support for 10.6.8 when they released Traktor 2.6.1
The installer won't let you install it.
This is despite the fact it actually works on 10.6.8
There is a workaround to install it on 10.6.8, which is to install it on 10.7 or 10.8 and just copy the Traktor.app to your 10.6.8 installation.
That's fine if your machine is new enough to run those OS's, but 10.6 is as far as mine can go {if I'm not mistaken, I'm happy to stick with 10.6 anyway though as I use some plugs that have reportedly stopped working past 10.6}

HOWEVER, there was also another {legit of course} method which somehow forces the installer to run regardless of the OS version number. Possibly involving a freebie 3rd party application for custom installs.

I can't for the life of me remember what the method or the app is, despite the fact I'm running 2.6.1
2.6.4 has been released lately and I'd like to update.

Anyone know the app or method that I'm talking about ?
Google has been fruitless

{chalk this up as one of the NI negatives, dropping support for an OS in a mid-version update blows imo. Though it's happened to me with other devs too}

I think the trick is removing the o.s. check in the installer, as you would do if you'd want to use JVM 7 on osx 10.6.

Have a read here (it's about java, but I think I would try the same route with Traktor's installer):
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1353 ... 7#13999527

You need XCode (which is free) to do it, or you can install Traktor using a third party utility like Pacifist (which is shareware). I know nothing about the second solution, while I can confirm that the XCode way works fine for JVM.

I hope this can be of any help, I'm not sure it will work since I didn't try installing it on osx 10.6 and there could be other problems beside the initial os check (incompatibilities perhaps?)... Anyway, removing the os check is the first step.

sin night wrote:I think the trick is removing the o.s. check in the installer, as you would do if you'd want to use JVM 7 on osx 10.6.

Have a read here (it's about java, but I think I would try the same route with Traktor's installer):
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1353 ... 7#13999527

You need XCode (which is free) to do it, or you can install Traktor using a third party utility like Pacifist (which is shareware). I know nothing about the second solution, while I can confirm that the XCode way works fine for JVM.

I hope this can be of any help, I'm not sure it will work since I didn't try installing it on osx 10.6 and there could be other problems beside the initial os check (incompatibilities perhaps?)... Anyway, removing the os check is the first step.
you sir, are a scholar and a gentleman. grazie mille!!!

Pacifist is indeed the app I was thinking of, for some reason I uninstalled it { :nutter: } and in my bookmark list the page title is quite arbitrary.. thank you for reminding me, I re-installed it and renamed it's title in my bookmark list :)

The first solution you posted is also very interesting and I will study it for future scenarios :)

btw for anyone else in the same predicament {wanting to install Traktor 2.6.1 and up on OSX 10.6.8}, once sin night reminded me of the app name I managed to search the NI forum & twitter etc with more accuracy for related discussions and it seems Traktor versions from 2.6.2 and up don't work so well on OSX core duo machines like mine {2006 model. 'don't work so well' = excessive CPU use issues}, however it should work fine for users with core2duo machines and up {they started around 2007? 2008?}

As such, I have decided not to upgrade past 2.6.1 :( looks like I really need to put more effort into saving for a slightly newer machine if I want to keep up with NI.

For the record, Traktor is quite heavy on my Macbook 4.1 (plastic model, late 2008), even if it is a Core2Duo.

I used Traktor (version 2.6.8) to stream a public event last week and I couldn't do much more on my mac, I had just the mail program opened and sometimes I looked at very few webpages*, but I've been reported of a few dropouts (perhaps when I loaded some pages? By the way, bandwidth was not an issue).

I don't really know the performances of the previous versions since I dj very very rarely, but I always thought it was a very software heavy for my machine. It works, but you can do nothing else at the same time.

Anyway, my machine really needs a clean install (but I can't do it before finishing my final work in order to get a degree), so that could indeed affect negatively the performances.

*I know I'm not supposed to surf the web or do other things while using a software like Traktor, but I wasn't djing :) and I really had to keep an eye on those things during that gig.

Return to “Instruments”