Like Bandpass

Official support for: wolfgangpalm.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

I wonder if someone can explain how this tutorial patch in WaveGenerator is getting a bandpass type of sound. I understand it is using a HP saw WT, but how is it getting the BP timbre? I don't think I fully understand how this is happening. Perhaps because I've been at work all day and my brain is tired, but... would anyone have a better clue than me? Thanks

well, the preset uses a wavetable with 16 waves, which act like a Highpass.
that is combined with the VCF as lowpass, so as result you can produce bandpass spectra.
to understand this, please try the following:

on the Para page, turn the AUDIO 1 down to 0 (that is on the right side in the DUAL AMPLIFIER module) now only AUDIO 2 is active, which is set to "Mix", means it uses the audio mix from the 3 Oscillators without any filtering !

what you hear now is a highpass sweep.

now go to the Wave page, and set the Grid mode to "Browse" (menu on the right side above the grid)

then click on point 16 (the highest point in the grid)
that wave has a full sawtooth spectrum. now go to lower table positions.
you see that with each step the spectrum is cutoff at higher positions. so each of these waves is a sawtooth high pass filtered with different cutoff frequency.

now if you switch the mode back to "Path" you see all 16 points are connected.
and the envelope on the Para page controls the position.

final note:

here the high pass filtering is done with a sawtooth spectrum as base
of cause you can build HP effects with any other wave, like rectangle etc.

you may watch my video, i did a year ago on the iPad version. but you can do the same in the VST.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7jHQU9PAps

origwt wrote:well,...
Thank you for the thorough explanation. I understand completely now. My sleepy brain did not assemble the logic of the Audio mixer mixing in the unfiltered signal ;P I see now how it is working.
origwt wrote: you may watch my video, i did a year ago on the iPad version. but you can do the same in the VST.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7jHQU9PAps
Oh, that makes me happy. I did not know there were more than one Show and Tell video. I watched the first, but I did not know about 2 & 3. I must dig deeper next time. Very helpful videos, by the way. Thanks for the time.

...Back to enjoying the timbres.

Return to “Wolfgang Palm”