New alternative song to review as of Dec. 18th! You review me, I review you, I promise!

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I just put a new alternative song in my music website called "I Saw You Today". Please tell me how you like this song and how it can be improved. If you review me, I review you, I promise! The song is at the top of this link:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_so ... D=12612035

Cool track man, I'm liking the 80's rock vibes. Sweet electric guitar lead in the intro. Vocals remind me a bit of Billy Idol, nice!

Some feedback: The mix needs a little bit of work, some parts the vocals sound a little too loud for the track and I felt the intro synth and guitar leads were a little loud.
https://soundcloud.com/institutionalised/ofth
Get Ready to Move. This is Bass Music.

Bass Institute,
Thank you for the review! Except for my vocals & audio clips, everything is Korg TR-Rack (there is no guitar). I reviewed your dubstep tune on your thread. :)
You can hear my original music at this link: https://www.soundclick.com/artist/defau ... dID=224436

This could easily be incidental music in some old 80's movie like Beverly Hills Cop. Definitely captures that sort of vibe. No reciprocal review needed, I don't have anything up in the Cafe.
Regards, Mike

LOL - I wasn't going to comment but the tunes been buzzin' in me head since I listened it to it once about an hour or so ago. Reminds me of some (vocal) stuff I have done in the past. Listen to this one ... I think it is about 10 years since I did this one.
http://www.paulmartinbrown.com/music/PM ... _Crazy.mp3

hehe eh?
We should start a band and get a female to sing high with us eh? ;-) Or wait a minute .... maybe we were in a band together back in the day??? ;-)

Sorry to highjack your thread here a bit, but your vocals reminded me of old times!
I love the tune you did... sounded great on my headphones. Thanks for posting it.
Paul

mn,
Thank you for the review! If you want me to review your music, just leave me a link. Are you from a particular state or country?

manytone,
I appreciate your comments! Now listening to your song: it does sound very 80's, which is fine by me. Sounds pretty cool, I'm trying to figure out who this reminds me of. Some of the higher frequencies on the guitar are kind of loud, but I'm sensitive to that. I like the synths & the vocals. Nice song! So tell me about this Many tone business. Are you running it your self? What country are you from? I have played in several bands with female singers, and I have recorded several female singers on my original tunes, but that was mostly in the (wait for it) 80's. I'm in Southern California. Which instruments was George Duke talking about in the user testimonial?

aaron aardvark wrote:mn,
Thank you for the review! If you want me to review your music, just leave me a link. Are you from a particular state or country?

manytone,
I appreciate your comments! Now listening to your song: it does sound very 80's, which is fine by me. Sounds pretty cool, I'm trying to figure out who this reminds me of. Some of the higher frequencies on the guitar are kind of loud, but I'm sensitive to that. I like the synths & the vocals. Nice song! So tell me about this Many tone business. Are you running it your self? What country are you from? I have played in several bands with female singers, and I have recorded several female singers on my original tunes, but that was mostly in the (wait for it) 80's. I'm in Southern California.
Hey glad you enjoyed it. Like your track no real guitars were harmed in the process. It is all sampled guitar and vst instruments. I know there are some harsh freqs there as it was an old tune and really could use a remix.

ManyTone the company, I do run myself but have a few associates that help with things. I am located in Calgary Alberta Canada. (and occasionally in British Columbia)

May be fun to do a collab one day!
Cheers and thanks for listening .... we're quite similar in genre and sound on these 2 tunes, but its time to kik it into the millennium ...heh.
Paul

manytone,
I had to listen to your song again, because the first time I heard it I thought for sure there was real electric guitar in your song. Is the sampled guitar sound sampled with the distortion/gain, or the distortion/gain was added to the sample afterwards as an effect? I may have added my George Duke question after you read my first reply. Is the sampled guitar software an example of something George Duke used?
You can hear my original music at this link: https://www.soundclick.com/artist/defau ... dID=224436

aaron aardvark wrote:manytone,
I had to listen to your song again, because the first time I heard it I thought for sure there was real electric guitar in your song. Is the sampled guitar sound sampled with the distortion/gain, or the distortion/gain was added to the sample afterwards as an effect? I may have added my George Duke question after you read my first reply. Is the sampled guitar software an example of something George Duke used?
Heh... You're asking a guy who will be 50 next year to remember a few years back.... I can't even remember last Monday. ;-)

So I tried to open the project to see what I used. Serious fail as it was done in Sonar 32bit a long time ago and I am now running Sonar in 64. But I was able to see my midi files and the instruments that were used. This song was done before ManyTone had even released any products. So none of our products were in it. From what I can see the guitar was a blend of some samples I think I made pre "ManyGuitar" ran through the old Revalver amp sim, combined with some notes from the old "Slayer" vsti that were also ran through Revalver.

George Duke - Yes I see you edited your post after I replied. Hmmmm, again its been a while but if I recall, George purchased our ManyBass product to start and I believe, ended up owning everything we made at the time. I'd have to dig up some old emails to fully recall how it all transpired.

So, George excites you then? ;-)
Cheers
Paul

Ohh... and just for shits and giggles I just looked at actual file date to see when I did this track. It was finished on Dec 17th 2002. So it is 11 years and 4 days old now. Wow time flies. :shock:

manytone,
Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions. I can't say George Duke is one of my very favorite keyboard players, but there is no doubt in my mind he was very gifted as a keyboard player. I subscribe to Keyboard magazine, and he was interviewed rather close to the time he passed on, so he is fairly fresh in my mind as of lately. Within the last few months I have seen him play in several youtube videos, out of curiosity after reading about him a few times recently. I know he has played with plenty of famous people. While I am very impressed with certain songs that (keyboard wizards) Rick Wakeman and Keith Emerson have played with amazing/fast playing, I think that very often, someone such as Greg Hawkes (from the Cars) often played something that is pretty simple, but can have a great hook without needing to be a virtuoso player to play it. I couldn't name one song George Duke played on, though I think it was mentioned in the user testimonial that he was involved with 'We are the World'. It definitely adds some clout to at least some of your products that George Duke liked them.

Return to “Music Cafe”