What is KVR Audio? | Submit News | Advertise | Developer Account

Options (Affects News & Product results only):

Format:
Include:
Quick Search KVR

"Quick Search" KVR Audio's Product Database, News Items, Developer Listings, Forum Topics and videos here. For advanced Product Database searching please use the full product search. For the forum you can use the phpBB forum search.

To utilize the power of Google you can use the integrated Google Site Search.

Products 0

Developers 0

News 0

Forum 0

Videos 0

Search  

Sonic Projects Stringer Vs Loomer String. IYO, which is more authentic?

VST, AU, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

LimboLoves
KVRist

410 posts since 21 Feb, 2014

Postby LimboLoves; Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:01 am Sonic Projects Stringer Vs Loomer String. IYO, which is more authentic?

I want THAT Solina sound. You know what i'm talking about. I've demoed both and I'm having a hard time deciding. I like Loomer's set up better, but Stringer is about 25 dollars cheaper.

What do you guys think?

I produce a lost of ambient and trip hop stuff. Working on a Pink Floyd remix atm.
jdnz
KVRist

225 posts since 2 Oct, 2011, from Christchurch, New Zealand

Postby jdnz; Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:27 am Re: Sonic Projects Stringer Vs Loomer String. IYO, which is more authentic?

sonic projects is sampled - stringer isn't (and is hence infinitely tweakable) - that's enough reason to spend the extra $ to me.

if youve got reaktor there's also the exceptionally good FREE solina :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVyq7YXOMds

the same author's eminent is pretty cool too
Last edited by jdnz on Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yessongs
KVRian

829 posts since 9 Feb, 2013, from dallas tx

Postby yessongs; Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:42 pm Re: Sonic Projects Stringer Vs Loomer String. IYO, which is more authentic?

solina patch in the free prodigious is awesomeness.

http://www.vst4free.com/free_vst.php?id=1328
realmarco
Waaaaahhh

1365 posts since 29 Jul, 2001, from montreal, quebec,canada

Postby realmarco; Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:52 am Re: Sonic Projects Stringer Vs Loomer String. IYO, which is more authentic?

http://music.service-1.de/html/cromina.html

Its the only SE plugin i like

listen to the demos
If your plugin is a Synth-edit/synth-maker creation, Say So.
If not Make a Mac version of your Plugins Please.

https://soundcloud.com/realmarco

...everyone is out to get me!!!!!!!
HunterKiller
KVRAF

1533 posts since 9 Mar, 2006, from Sydney, Australia

Postby HunterKiller; Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:01 am Re: Sonic Projects Stringer Vs Loomer String. IYO, which is more authentic?

LimboLoves wrote:I want THAT Solina sound. You know what i'm talking about. I've demoed both and I'm having a hard time deciding. I like Loomer's set up better, but Stringer is about 25 dollars cheaper.

What do you guys think?

I produce a lost of ambient and trip hop stuff. Working on a Pink Floyd remix atm.

Payware 7 best:

1. The Interruptor Night Flight
2. Loomer String (this would be great for ambient)
3. Wok Cromina
4. G-Force VSM (sample)
5. UVI StringMachines (sample)
6. Arp Solina and Eminent 310 Reaktor ensembles

Freeware 2 best:

1. Elektrostudio eSline
2. AlgoMusic String Synthesizer
“Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon.” - Paul Brandt
LimboLoves
KVRist

Postby LimboLoves; Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:23 am Re: Sonic Projects Stringer Vs Loomer String. IYO, which is more authentic?

Thanks for the replies fellas. I did some more research and found that samples aren't really the way to go so I think i'm picking up loomer. Night Flight and Cromina are really cheap and sound great as well though! Might have to impulse buy all 3 :D
electro
KVRAF

3297 posts since 5 May, 2002

Postby electro; Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:06 pm Re: Sonic Projects Stringer Vs Loomer String. IYO, which is more authentic?

LimboLoves wrote:I want THAT Solina sound. You know what i'm talking about. I've demoed both and I'm having a hard time deciding. I like Loomer's set up better, but Stringer is about 25 dollars cheaper.

What do you guys think?

You're not going to find THAT Solina sound in any Softsynth. Some approximate better than others, but none have actually nailed it. Samples cannot emulate Paraphonics, but for single notes only, look here
http://www.binarymusic.co.uk/solina.html
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM
donato
KVRian

514 posts since 8 Nov, 2003

Postby donato; Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:17 pm Re: Sonic Projects Stringer Vs Loomer String. IYO, which is more authentic?

I've owned all of these at one point or another:

UVI String Machines
Loomer String
G-Force VSM
XILS V+

I've also owned a real Solina, Logan String Melody and Crumar Performer. All of the software options above are IMHO different from one another with each having strengths and weaknesses. But I also think all of them are quite good and particularly in the mix they all sound good enough vs. the real thing.
electro
KVRAF

3297 posts since 5 May, 2002

Postby electro; Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:50 pm Re: Sonic Projects Stringer Vs Loomer String. IYO, which is more authentic?

donato wrote:I've owned all of these at one point or another:

UVI String Machines
Loomer String
G-Force VSM
XILS V+

I've also owned a real Solina, Logan String Melody and Crumar Performer. All of the software options above are IMHO different from one another with each having strengths and weaknesses. But I also think all of them are quite good and particularly in the mix they all sound good enough vs. the real thing.

Loomer String and XILS V+ are excellent Paraphonics, but none of them do that Arp Solina. Cromina comes closer than those, but still does not get it right. Only the Binary Music Sample Library has the true Solina tone.
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM
LimboLoves
KVRist

Postby LimboLoves; Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:12 pm Re: Sonic Projects Stringer Vs Loomer String. IYO, which is more authentic?

I'll look into the Kontakt library. My only worry about the samples is the lack of control over the sounds. Sometimes I wish I just picked the first thing I liked, cuz now I am weighing the pro's and cons.
donato
KVRian

514 posts since 8 Nov, 2003

Postby donato; Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:33 pm Re: Sonic Projects Stringer Vs Loomer String. IYO, which is more authentic?

electro wrote:
donato wrote:I've owned all of these at one point or another:

UVI String Machines
Loomer String
G-Force VSM
XILS V+

Loomer String and XILS V+ are excellent Paraphonics, but none of them do that Arp Solina. Cromina comes closer than those, but still does not get it right. Only the Binary Music Sample Library has the true Solina tone.

Yeah, I guess I wasn't so focused on it having to be a Solina replica. I find other models/emulations/etc. just as interesting in their own way. I liked the Crumar Performer as much as the Solina. Different flavors of the same idea. :)
Aloysius
KVRAF

10607 posts since 11 Aug, 2008, from Alto Icon

Postby Aloysius; Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:41 pm Re: Sonic Projects Stringer Vs Loomer String. IYO, which is more authentic?

For Kontakt.

Binary Music - Solina String Ensemble (Mark II)

http://www.binarymusic.co.uk/solina.html
I feel like Buddha Holly
HunterKiller
KVRAF

1533 posts since 9 Mar, 2006, from Sydney, Australia

Postby HunterKiller; Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:27 am Re: Sonic Projects Stringer Vs Loomer String. IYO, which is more authentic?

LimboLoves wrote:Thanks for the replies fellas. I did some more research and found that samples aren't really the way to go so I think i'm picking up loomer. Night Flight and Cromina are really cheap and sound great as well though! Might have to impulse buy all 3 :D

These 3 are good enough and will leave you with plenty inspiration for other things. If you pick up Loomer, also get my free bank from Loomer's website, lots of nice presets in there.

Samples will get you stuck with only that particular sound, and when you want to get away from it, you will realize that you can't.

But they are cheap, so up to you.
“Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon.” - Paul Brandt
Numanoid
KVRAF

8641 posts since 20 Jan, 2008, from Down on the farm

Postby Numanoid; Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:44 am Re: Sonic Projects Stringer Vs Loomer String. IYO, which is more authentic?

HunterKiller wrote:Freeware 2 best:

1. Elektrostudio eSline
2. AlgoMusic String Synthesizer

How do rank Krakli's S3 series?
Halb Wesen und halb Ding
LimboLoves
KVRist

Postby LimboLoves; Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:17 am Re: Sonic Projects Stringer Vs Loomer String. IYO, which is more authentic?

HunterKiller wrote:
LimboLoves wrote:Thanks for the replies fellas. I did some more research and found that samples aren't really the way to go so I think i'm picking up loomer. Night Flight and Cromina are really cheap and sound great as well though! Might have to impulse buy all 3 :D

These 3 are good enough and will leave you with plenty inspiration for other things. If you pick up Loomer, also get my free bank from Loomer's website, lots of nice presets in there.

Samples will get you stuck with only that particular sound, and when you want to get away from it, you will realize that you can't.

But they are cheap, so up to you.

Thanks, I will get your free bank. I bought it today.
Next

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Instruments