DIVA Filter CPU Usage Observations

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi

I've just made a quick test to find out, how demanding the different lowpass-filters in DIVA are.
That might be useful to keep the CPU drain low while making your own presets.
(Of course, in the end you take the filter, which sounds best, but there are cases, where some of them do sound very similar.)

What I did:
Made a simple sound using the DUAL VCO ECO Osc-Module, NO HPF (Just Feedback) Module and a Stack of 4 voices.
Played 3 notes together --> 12 Voices playing.
Filter-Res was set to 75.
(Thinking about it, it might be smart to redo the test with differing values, trying to match the behaviour of the different filters.)
I also enabled the Multicore option. The division of CPU strain on 4 cores of an i5-4670K @4,4GHz was very even.

Results:
Uhbie: 18%
BITE Rev2: 19%
Cascade 12db/24db/Clean/Rough: 20%
BITE Rev1: 21%
Multimode LP2: 24%
Ladder: 12db/24db: 26%
Multimode LP4: 32%

I also checked the different optional HPF modules (With Res at 50 for BITE).
HPF|Post seems to have no impact.
HPF|Pre adds about 1% CPU drain.
HPF|Bite Rev1 adds about 20% !
HPF|Bite Rev2 adds about 27% !

I'd be interested, if other people have made differing observations.

I think especially the high additional CPU drain of the HPF|Bite filters is worth to keep in mind when making your own presets.
Also I think, prefering the Cascade Filter over the Multimode filter in a lot of cases makes sense (as they do sound rather similar in a lot of scenarios).

Yep, figures seem right AFAIK.... but never did a real test with the relatively new Uhbie filter so it's good to know that the most useful filter also takes away the less CPU! :)

Yeah, the MS HPFs take loads of CPU so better just use them for monophonic stuff atm. :P

If you use the current Latest Builds (rev 2242) and you place an empty text file called Diva.log on your desktop the it'll continuously print highly accurate CPU measurements into it. Multicore must be turned off.

Ah, thx for the info.
This might be more accurate than the Task Manager.

Return to “u-he”