How to change the default BPM in Cubase 7.5?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Like most frustrations in life, I'm convinced that this HAS to be dead-simple to do. But dang if I can figure it out. Could someone point me in the right direction?

Just so we're clear, new projects in Cubase open automatically to a default of 120 BPM. I consistently compose in 100 BPM and would like to make that the default.

Thanks all.
Cheers
-B
Berfab
So many plugins, so little time...

Create a template based on the default project, but with BPM set to 100?

Too easy?
... space is the place ...

This is from the Cubase 7 manual, should be the same process for 7.5:

1. Setup a project.
2. Select “Save As Template...” from the File menu and save the project template
with the name “default”.

Peace,
Andy.
... space is the place ...

You can usually do that as first step right after you opened the project (which is what... a couple of seconds?), then you can save as a new new template:

Either with the Temp Track Editor (look into your hotkeys list), or the temp block of your transport bar (click the tempo button, which turns "tempo track" off, then you can set one global tempo). With modern Cubase versions, you can even have a tempo track in the arrangement view.

Either way - set up your arranger window, maybe even set up your most used instruments right from the start and then save as template. Every time you start Cubase and use that template, your BPM is set to the value you use most of the time - and your tools are ready to go as well.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

First of all: :dog: for the template idea. I warned you it was easy, but that my lizard brain was, for some reason, missing it. So thanks.

But here's the thing. In Cubase, there are two BPM's readily available - the default BPM, and the BPM you can alter. Unless I'm missing something, even setting up the new BPM as a template doesn't change the default. It would be useful to do this because I sometimes will play around with different tempos but want to 'snap back' to the default --- which I would like to be 100 BPM, not 120.

Is there a way to change that? I've been through the preferences dialog but I can't find anything. (Unless this is what Compyfox is referring to with the tempo track, but I don't have Cubase in front of me ATM.) But that may just be my lizard brain at work again. :bang:

Thanks again.
-B
Berfab

The default tempo is declared by the tempo track. Especially if the "tempo" logo is lit in the transport bar. If the "Tempo" icon is not lit, then the tempo that is set there will be used (I think it's also called "Global Tempo", but I'm not sure).

Both have their advantages and disadvantages:
The Tempo Track can use tempo changes. If you use the direct tempo setting (deactivated tempo track), you can only use one speed setting throughout the project.

To be honest, I barely needed the Tempo Track myself (only for special effect, which is cool nowadays with the better audio time stretching modes). But I prefer to go the extra route with the Tempo Track over the "Global Tempo". Especially if I want to change time signature mid project as well.

And with the ability to show the tempo track in the arranger, it's way better to handle. Unless you need precision or you need to record a tempo track at a later state. Then the Tempo Track Editor is better for that kind of purpose.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Thanks Compyfox. I won't be in front of my rig for a few hours yet, but I look forward to getting in there and fiddling around with your suggestions.

Cheers
-B
Berfab

Clearly defining your default template is the way to go with Cubase. There was a time when I could complete a piece of music, start to mixdown, in as little as an hour because my default project made all my normal processes ready. Thinking back on that now, I don't know why I ever got away from that. :-/

I started using templates back in the days (pre SX days) since I was sick of constantly setting up specific MIDI SYSEX for my Yamaha XG synth.

Later, I created presets for dual screen setups and specific meter coloring (until C5 or so). These days, I barely use templates. Maybe because I barely needed any for pure mixing projects.

Uncle E wrote:Clearly defining your default template is the way to go with Cubase. There was a time when I could complete a piece of music, start to mixdown, in as little as an hour because my default project made all my normal processes ready. Thinking back on that now, I don't know why I ever got away from that. :-/
That is how I always do it. In fact I have different template models for different styles and even a few templates that start with different tempos. They preload certain VSTi's and mastering effects (that are off when starting) as well as pre-defined audio tracks etc.

This has streamlined my work and knocks the 10-20 first minutes off of setting up a project that otherwise might kill my inspiration.

Jon

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”