do waveforms have the chipmunk effect?

How to make that sound...
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

... When they are feeded (or generated/drawn) on a synth?

I mean, when you use a sample and you map it across the keyboard, on the third or fourth key it starts "chipmunk" effect, because of stretching.

If I use a waveform, and make it so in the C key it does sound correct (as a sample sounds well on C5 without stretching), etc... but inside a synth, do I get the same effect as with a sample?

I am starting to work completely doing and drawing my own waveforms but I have this doubt as I am not yet into sampling field completely.

Some patch designers say you can avoid chipmunk effect when working with waveforms as opposed to sampling.

Cheers.

If the sample is one waveform long, then it probably won't suffer from the chipmunk effect; at least, not noticeably. The longer it is, the more it will suffer from the chipmunk effect, so just keep that in mind when sampling.

I hope you don't mind me being curious... why do you ask?

I think the chipmunk effect mostly happens when you have resonances in the sound that you psychoacoustically expect to be at fixed requency, and not move with the root note. Vocal sounds are full of such resonances - which is why they often sound chipmunky when transposed. When you just transpose the waveform, everything, including any resonance inherent the waveform, gets transposed, and you get (if transposing upward)
a chipmunk sound.

Simple waveforms, such as sawtooth or square, have very regular spectra, with no particular resonances, so they sound fine when transposed.

With simple waveforms you will usually notice aliasing effects instead.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... 5skc#t=150

Return to “Sound Design”