What is KVR Audio? | Submit News | Advertise | Developer Account

Options (Affects News & Product results only):

Format:
Include:
Quick Search KVR

"Quick Search" KVR Audio's Product Database, News Items, Developer Listings, Forum Topics and videos here. For advanced Product Database searching please use the full product search. For the forum you can use the phpBB forum search.

To utilize the power of Google you can use the integrated Google Site Search.

Products 0

Developers 0

News 0

Forum 0

Videos 0

Search  

Is software equal to hardware as far as sound quality is concerned? (poll)

VST, AU, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Is software equal to hardware as far as sound quality is concerned?

Yes
31%
No
10%
Sort Of
5%
Almost
9%
Ten years off
2%
Fish
13%
This debate drives me insane
29%

Total votes : 156
LimboLoves
KVRist

444 posts since 21 Feb, 2014

Postby LimboLoves; Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:03 pm Is software equal to hardware as far as sound quality is concerned? (poll)

What do you think?
Last edited by LimboLoves on Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
V0RT3X
KVRAF

4339 posts since 3 Jul, 2012

Postby V0RT3X; Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:05 pm Re: Is software equal to hardware as far as sound quality is concerned? (poll)

I voted ten years off. They are getting closer though with stuff like Diva.
Best Advice I ever got : "Having the best tools and technical knowledge isn't gonna do much for you if you don't understand how to make good music."
LimboLoves
KVRist

444 posts since 21 Feb, 2014

Postby LimboLoves; Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:07 pm Re: Is software equal to hardware as far as sound quality is concerned? (poll)

I use Lush 101 and man does it sound so great. I think it is one that is so damn close to hardware. It's just very short compared to the sh 101. I think it's mostly the filter though.
BDeep
KVRAF

1739 posts since 13 Feb, 2012, from Amsterdam

Postby BDeep; Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:38 pm Re: Is software equal to hardware as far as sound quality is concerned? (poll)

Analog hardware or DSP based? Quite a difference IMHO.

Anyway, had a hard deciding between "fish" and "this debate drives me insane". Because I really could not care less.
danbroad
KVRian

1097 posts since 1 Jan, 2004, from England

Postby danbroad; Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:07 am Re: Is software equal to hardware as far as sound quality is concerned? (poll)

Just like penises, sometimes it's far better in life to just be happy with what you have.
11, 418th in line to the KVR throne
johnwoo
KVRer

20 posts since 6 May, 2012

Postby johnwoo; Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:08 am Re: Is software equal to hardware as far as sound quality is concerned? (poll)

My opinion is that are not equal . Many soft synths have 80 percent of presets unusable , comparing with hardware synths who have only 20 or 10 percent . Ten years back , is my vote .
jacqueslacouth
KVRist

425 posts since 17 Nov, 2004

Postby jacqueslacouth; Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:15 am Re: Is software equal to hardware as far as sound quality is concerned? (poll)

Depends what you look for I guess, but to be perfectly honest I am sitting here surrounded by hardware that hardly ever gets turned on but my current project in Logic has Padshop Pro, Alchemy, Absynth, Arturia Spark and Scuffham Amps open….with my Virus TI as an overpriced controller.
e@rs
KVRist

452 posts since 15 Dec, 2011, from Bucharest, Romania

Postby e@rs; Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:34 am Re: Is software equal to hardware as far as sound quality is concerned? (poll)

NO, but I don't really care. I'm too lazy to use hardware and software does a pretty decent job these days.
Urs
u-he

17354 posts since 7 Aug, 2002, from Berlin

Postby Urs; Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:45 am Re: Is software equal to hardware as far as sound quality is concerned? (poll)

I voted no simply because I'm convinced that software has left hardware behind.
BBFG#
KVRAF

3849 posts since 28 Apr, 2013

Postby BBFG#; Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:10 am Re: Is software equal to hardware as far as sound quality is concerned? (poll)

I see my 'hardware' as nothing more than software contained in its own dedicated computer 'box'. So since CPU resources are still a consideration, the software that people like to call hardware still has that going for it over software run it the same box with the OS/DAW. Sound-wise, they seem pretty much equal, since they are equally software anyway. The real question then becomes, one computer or multiple computers?

So yeah, cichlids...
fese
KVRian

574 posts since 14 Sep, 2004, from $HOME

Postby fese; Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:24 am Re: Is software equal to hardware as far as sound quality is concerned? (poll)

Delete
Last edited by fese on Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
fese
KVRian

574 posts since 14 Sep, 2004, from $HOME

Postby fese; Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:25 am Re: Is software equal to hardware as far as sound quality is concerned? (poll)

fese wrote:
danbroad wrote:Just like penises, sometimes it's far better in life to just be happy with what you have.

I still prefer having an analog penis - no dongles!
FarleyCZ
KVRian

699 posts since 26 Jun, 2008, from Czech Republic

Postby FarleyCZ; Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:34 am Re: Is software equal to hardware as far as sound quality is concerned? (poll)

Define "audio quality" you search for... Yes, HW might have a few more non-linearities HW lovers will defend to death, but it all seems to me like desperate trying to justify previous investments in expansive wooden boxes.

Nice to see having Urs watching this discussion, becouse namely his Zebra is one of the synths that surpassed anything possible by "real" HW by miles... In lot of VA's, you can get close to HW sounds, but show me any synth that is not just CPU in a box and can reproduce huge complex Zebra or Absynth or Alchemy sounds. I don't think there is such a thing.

It really depends on what you search for. If it's exact smell of Minimoog, you'll have to get the Minimoog I'm affraid. But if by sound quality you mean how the sound is actually interesting at the end, I'm affraid the real HW is long gone.
EnGee
KVRian

957 posts since 7 Oct, 2005, from Auckland

Postby EnGee; Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:11 am Re: Is software equal to hardware as far as sound quality is concerned? (poll)

Urs wrote:I voted no simply because I'm convinced that software has left hardware behind.

:lol:
I voted 'yes' but Urs's answer is really cool although it is misleading at first with 'I voted no ..'
RunBeerRun
KVRAF

7520 posts since 2 Aug, 2005, from Guitar Land, USA

Postby RunBeerRun; Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:29 am Re: Is software equal to hardware as far as sound quality is concerned? (poll)

I haven't heard any interesting hardware, nor any interesting payware software.
The only site for experimental amp sim freeware & MIDI FX: http://runbeerrun.blogspot.com
https://www.youtube.com/user/RunBeerRun5 -Youtube jams
https://twitter.com/RunBeerRun5 -Twitter rants
Next

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Instruments