Solved (sort of) - Plugin with .vst3 extension not showing up in Studio One 2 Professional 64-bit

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Studio One isn't recognizing the .vst3 file (Sample Tank 3) in my 64 bit plugins.
I made a copy and changed the extension to .dll to see if it would work, but no success.

Any thoughts on what I need to do to get S1 to see the vst3 plugin?
Last edited by Musical Gym on Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

I got number of vst3 plugins and all works fine so far in S1.

1) Make sure that the path is visible to S1 if this is not default path (e.g. c:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3\ assuming you're on PC)
2) Ensure that you have enabled VST3 service (Studio One -> Options -> Advanced -> Services)
resistance is futile. Check my latest mix: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=532758

I don't know about ST3, but in ST1 I had numerous registration problems(in other daws) due to a dialog that shows up first time you use it. I usually had to shift to one daw that supported that dialog during scan to handle registration - then it went ok everywhere.

Just a thought....if this registration thing remains.

blizzard wrote:I got number of vst3 plugins and all works fine so far in S1.

1) Make sure that the path is visible to S1 if this is not default path (e.g. c:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3\ assuming you're on PC)
2) Ensure that you have enabled VST3 service (Studio One -> Options -> Advanced -> Services)
I added SampleTank 3.vst3 to path in #1 above and also added it to locations in S1.
My VST3 service was already enabled.
I refreshed my 64 bit plugins list in S1, but still no SampleTank 3.

lfm wrote:I don't know about ST3, but in ST1 I had numerous registration problems(in other daws) due to a dialog that shows up first time you use it. I usually had to shift to one daw that supported that dialog during scan to handle registration - then it went ok everywhere.

Just a thought....if this registration thing remains.
I don't think it's a registration thing as far as I can tell. I get no dialog.

It's recognized in FL, so I can at least use it. Will keep at it for S1 as it works for some, just not me yet.

Musical Gym wrote:It's recognized in FL, so I can at least use it. Will keep at it for S1 as it works for some, just not me yet.
If it works in FL your registration is done.

Otherwise S1 for you seems to be like ST1 in Sonar for me - no dialog - so no ability to register. I had to install an old nTrack to register it.

But reg. is global - so any daw would use it after that is my assumption.

Check path as suggested - is it there on disk where other VST3 are?
Nothing extra added for FL to find it?

Nothing special done for FL to find it.
I have all my 64 bit plugins in their own vstplugins folder.
I guess I don't have too many that aren't dlls, only some have VST3 extensions.

I'll be ok, thanks for your help.

I had the same problem in Reaper so posted a question at Cockos and was told Reaper doesn't support VST3 and that I should load the VST2 version. I had SampleTank3.dll in my 32 bit plugins folder and added that to my S1 paths to scan. The dll loads up fine.
I had assumed that it was 32 bit and that the vst3 was my only choice for 64 bit compatibility with S1 64 bit.
Thanks again for replies and suggestions.

I would do as blizzard suggested - put it in Program Files\Common Files\VST3 folder.

It don't think I ever added that path to a VST3 compatible daw - could be it is regulated harder for S1 where it looks for ".vst3" extensions, only looking for ".dll" files in search path you add.

But unless ST3 provides something VST3 specific like sidechaining, or more midi ports - you are well off with VST2.

Yeah, VST3 has a hardcoded path like lfm said above - I couldn't believe it at first as well.
C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\VST3 for 32 Bit Plugins and
C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3 for 64 Bit Plugins...

It seems Steinberg had one major goal with VST 3.x: "Annoy the hell out of users, devs and everybody else"...
I think they reached their goal ;-)

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream Instagram Mastodon

Thanks, the dll will do the job. I shouldn't have assumed it was 32 bit in the first place.
I also put the VST3 in the default path for VST3s, so my guess is that S1 doesn't support VST3 yet.

Anyway, I'm up and running even though the stand-alone stopped working after trying to import some legacy instruments. But that's another topic for later maybe if I want to use it and still can't.

VST3 DOES WORK in S1. Period.

(I don't have sampletank3 but other VST3s work definitely when installed in the correct paths (see above), although there still is no point to use them anywhere but maybe in Cubase itself IMO).

They show up in a dedicated VST3 folder in the browser - maybe you just didn't see them?

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi

ThomasHelzle wrote:VST3 DOES WORK in S1. Period.

(I don't have sampletank3 but other VST3s work definitely when installed in the correct paths (see above), although there still is no point to use them anywhere but maybe in Cubase itself IMO).

They show up in a dedicated VST3 folder in the browser - maybe you just didn't see them?

Cheers,

Tom
Whoa, thanks. I do not believe I saw the VST3 in the browser prior to today when I opened it, but it is there. The only thing that baffles me now is that it is inside a sub-folder named Sampler under VST3 in the browser. However, when I navigate to C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3 there is no Sampler folder, just the SampleTank3.vst3 file with a couple of other folders for VST3 plugs.
Thanks much for helping me out with it.

That is VST3 for you - each Plugin has a certain hardcoded category that somebody else thought it belongs into...
For Sampletank it works well enough (it actually is a sampler...) for other things not so well...
And I don't sort in such categories normally...

Thanks Steinberg!

Cheers,

Tom

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”