How to read or recover data and files from a linux filesystem, from windows

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Or How to browse your linux partition from within windows:

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/33387/ho ... m-windows/

You will need this program:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/ext2read/files/

On Linux Mint and Ubuntu you have a file called 'casper-rw'. This is where all your files are kept if you made a persistent usb stick or sd card -

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2566 ... tant-on-us

That program works with other file systems other than casper-rw, for instance I recovered data from a FatDog64 install. It works with all the major linux filesystems, but that is the easy part, the fact that it works with casper-rw is the best bit.

When you make a persistent usb you imagine that the files will be kept in a folder called 'home' or whatever as is the usual convention, but it does not work like that with Mint (or Ubuntu which Mint is based on). It creates this file that contains not just your home partition but other linux stuff too.

Only when it is mounted and read is it converted into those bits. So, if you are wondering where all your files are that you didn't back up (naughty naughty) then this is yer man.

So, load up ex2explore and select open (make sure you are running as admin) then navigate to your usb stick or sd card and select 'casper-rw' - then double click on it and it will open it and you can then save it somewhere else. This program is amazing, I never knew it was possible, in fact lots of people don't realise it is. If you search the net this question is asked a thousand times and even experienced linux heads say 'it's not possible' or 'mount --303 alidf0ma geiibberriishh j == -0 olloop ' you fool! Everyone knows that fuckwit, don't trouble me again, I'm sleeping under a cave!! Grr...

:-)

So that is the easy bit. But what if, you are SOOL like me, and you have a corrupted file system?

Well, this is what you need to do.

You can try copying the file (we will assume we are still talking about casper-rw here for clarity), that is if the usb stick loads in the first place. Mine would load then you try to access it and it poofs, take it out put it back in again..

So when you get it there in your windows explorer - try to copy it. You will find it copies a bit then stalls then hangs your system. So you can't do that. You can try doing a sector by sector backup with your fave partitioning back up software, but it will either not load (while it is reading the disks on the system) or it will stall and hang your OS. Macrium Reflect failed with this (then again that doesn't even deal with usb so remember that) and also Paragon was a no go. Even my beloved new software of TeraByte Image for Windows or Image for Linux failed miserably.

Even loading up Linux OS would not even read the drive. The only way possible was with Windows. That's right, I tried about five different Linux distros from partition magic to linux mint to debian, none of them read the bloody disk.

So, we are in windows, we can read the disk, but it will not copy 'casper-rw'. Now I tried with Easus ToDo by doing a disk backup and that did not work either (I have spent nearly 48 hours trying to do this), BUT if you select the file backup IT WILL copy a corrupted file. I got this idea ironically enough from a post that someone made in the 'ghost thread' over at 'computers' here on kvr. ToDo does sector by sector backup but not for files. Who cares. It copied the bloody thing is all. Now when it was copied, it disappeared - poof! I had to run the program again and then it reappeared. All kinds of weirdness and shenanigans with this. And be warned - this shit locks up and hangs your system like a mofo.

It would not be unfair to say that this really is a hack in the truest sense of the word. Are you still with me? Of course you are. The only reason anyone within their sane mind that would be reading this is if they had a linux partition that they wanted to restore from within windows. Whoopy do if you can do it from within linux, but good luck with that if it won't even read the disk. Linux is a traitor to itself!

:-)

Now, with the 'casper-rw' on your physical HD, you can navigate to it and open it. And if it isn't too badly damaged it will be read and you will be able to save. But, there is a downside, if you had a corrupted filesystem like this in the first place, it depends how badly damaged it is. Mine was not too badly damaged, which means it was damaged a bit. So even though I recovered all the files, when I went to open them they looked like encrypted gibberish. So those files are lost. Only a few, but they is gone and dey ain't never comin' back. But on the whole it recovered 85 percent of the filesystem perfectly.

Shoulda backed up properly in the first place. My bad. I just got confused and bit off more than I could chew.

If you use usb or sd card for your linux distros, THEY WILL GET CORRUPTED EVENTUALLY. That is if the device does not blow up in the mean time. These distros seem to be hard on them. I have had 2 usb sticks gone kaput and 2 SD cards fail all within a matter of days. My time with this little experiment is over now. Then again, I have been running them pretty flawlessly for a year or two. There may even be something wrong with my system. I don't know. I read somewhere that it has to do with journaling or whatever and there are constant accesses made to the 'disk' and this shortens life span. I buy good quality gear coz the cheap shit is just unbearably slow, still, I got a good run out of them, but all good things come to an end.

Especially as, the last 2 days that I have spent backing up my system have been a waste of time coz when I was trying to do a new Mint install it wiped my new 2TB hard disk of about a TB of backup. I am now in the process of recovering it with a wonderful little utility called Easus Data Recovery Wizard Free (yes by the same company). And so far it seems to be working. I will find out in another six hours if it actually restores my stuff or if I have to spend another 2 days backing up again. Bless those wonderful Chinese people for making such awesome software for free. It's not just the Germans.

You can get that and the Easus ToDo free backup utility at their site.

http://www.easeus.com/backup-software/

http://www.easeus.com/datarecoverywizar ... ftware.htm

The ToDo backup is a newer version than the one I have, but it should still work. I have version 3.5. I installed version 4 but did not like it.

If you run into problems and you absolutely can not do what I have outlined here, then hit me up.

That's it.

You now know how to read you linux partitions from within windows and how to save them and back them up in a meaningful fashion even more practical than disk imaging. And you know what programs to use to recover a corrupted filesystem.

Me? My credentials? I'm just a fuckwit who left a 2TB HD plugged in when I was formatting usb sticks. NOTHING I say should be taken seriously.

Other options for simple non-corrupted linux partitions:
just boot up a ubuntu/debian/whatever live cd and copy the files across from the linux partition to the windows partition.
Or you could just install AndLinux (32-bit windows only) to windows and copy the files across from the linux partition to the windows partition.

Other options for non-simple corrupted linux partitions:
Boot to linux live CD and do the standard linux filesystem recovery commands from the terminal.
For situations like what he's describing above, where linux can't read the drive, do his instructions.

metamorphosis wrote:Other options for simple non-corrupted linux partitions:
just boot up a ubuntu/debian/whatever live cd and copy the files across from the linux partition to the windows partition.
Or you could just install AndLinux (32-bit windows only) to windows and copy the files across from the linux partition to the windows partition.

Other options for non-simple corrupted linux partitions:
Boot to linux live CD and do the standard linux filesystem recovery commands from the terminal.
For situations like what he's describing above, where linux can't read the drive, do his instructions.

Thanks for that. Good to know. Just to be clear though, this file system was NOT being read in Linux at all. Only in windows. Go figure, as they say. I tried about 5 different distros and none of them even saw the disk.

Anyway.

Here I am, 24 hours later of munching on my hard drive that got erased - remember? Well, it has found all the files, but it WILL NOT LET ME RECOVER THEM UNLESS I PAY 70 f**king DOLLARS. F - u - c - k - you.

I will spend the next couple of days backing up - thanks for telling me what files I lost at least you f**king chump. 70 bucks? R U f**king kidding me?

Avoid all products by that Chinese company EaseUS. I knew they were dodgy when they got a foot hold in the market and stopped providing their free programs for free - in fact, crippling it and charging extra money - classy - no wonder you don't get ranked any more.

No worries.

I will go back and back up my stuff. I lost a few things but I can dl them from the net again. I sure as f**king shit am not paying seventy f**king dollars to you. c**ts.

All in all, it's been a pretty good few days hacking about.

Yes, I have lost every single install on usb or sd card. But I know not to do that again. I have learned how to read a linux file system from windows and even how to recover a corrupted file system (hit me up and I'll give you a copy of their program that they stopped 'selling').

As computer days go, there have been worse. I have some donkey work to do for the next few days, but f**k it. It's better than paying chump money to those f**kers. They would not let me even recover a folder which was all I needed. Still, good program.

Mmmm....

;-)

Thanks. I downloaded it and am trying to use it but it looks a bit difficult.

I am having difficulties using it anyway.

Cheers, I will let you know how I get on.

I think it will probably be easier just to spend another two days backing everything up again.

Don't mention Linux to me ever again, or I will poke your eyes out!

I think this is the end of my journey.

Good luck. Let me know if you need help.

With so many distros not seeing your HDD, I would suspect a hdd imminent fail or filesystem corruption. Finding files and recovering them 100% are two different things.

codec_spurt wrote: Here I am, 24 hours later of munching on my hard drive that got erased - remember? Well, it has found all the files, but it WILL NOT LET ME RECOVER THEM UNLESS I PAY 70 f**king DOLLARS. F - u - c - k - you.
Recuva is a great free file recovery program that does a better job, in some cases, than the best payware data-recovery packages. Unfortunately I'm not sure that it deals with linux filesystems...
FAT32, yes.
Simple to use.

UltraJv wrote:With so many distros not seeing your HDD, I would suspect a hdd imminent fail or filesystem corruption. Finding files and recovering them 100% are two different things.
Not sure who you are talking to. You don't say. Can you be a bit more specific?

Also why there would be a hard drive fail?

As for finding files and recovering them. Yes. I know. Did you not know that I knew that? This whole post is about finding files and not being able to recover them.

Is there anything you can add to this post other than just quoting what people have said and then questioning them on it.

I don't know how much easier we can make this for you.

Then again, maybe I got it wrong who you were talking to. Sorry, if so.

paulbreeze wrote:Good luck. Let me know if you need help.
Thanks fella.

I took the hard road home.

I used the Easus program to find out what programs were lost.

Then I went and backed them all back up again.

I am nearly there.

This is nearly a week of hard disk use. But oh well.

It was just good to know what I lost. Then I can do it all again.

I will back this up again. Coz as we all know, if you ain't got it backed up twice, you ain't got it backed up at all.

But thanks paulbreeze for the heads up, I really appreciate it!

Edit:
When I say I will back this up again, I mean I will back it up three times. In three different places.

codec_spurt wrote:
UltraJv wrote:With so many distros not seeing your HDD, I would suspect a hdd imminent fail or filesystem corruption. Finding files and recovering them 100% are two different things.

As for finding files and recovering them. Yes. I know. Did you not know that I knew that? This whole post is about finding files and not being able to recover them.

Is there anything you can add to this post other than just quoting what people have said and then questioning them on it.

It was aimed at you. Hard drives fail all the time randomly. Its the biggest fail point of a system.

codec_spurt wrote:

It was aimed at you. Hard drives fail all the time, randomly. Its the biggest fail point of a system. There are diags you can run to check the SMART info.

UltraJv wrote:
codec_spurt wrote:

It was aimed at you. Hard drives fail all the time, randomly. Its the biggest fail point of a system. There are diags you can run to check the SMART info.
No problem UltraJv.

I run about four or five different HD diagnostics.

I don't think this was a hard drive failure. It was a boot kind of thing mbr etc. you know, that kind of stuff.

As usual the data was not able to be recovered properly, but it gave me a tree of what I lost and it did recover my audio bits of iZotope and Camel installs, so that was nice.

The rest? Never mind.

I'm sorry, I just got frustrated. This was just meant to be a post about how it is possible to recover data from a linux partition from within windows. The rest, I am sorry for. My bad. I made a dick of myself again. Oh well.

Hopefully no one got hurt too bad, and if anyone has any questions about how to use the software, then hit me up, if I can help you then I will.

If you have a faulty hard drive, good luck with any operating system to recover the files. Don't blame it on Linux, man. :( I can make a thread about my experiences with Windows [I've been a Windows "geek" for almost 20y] and there are dozens of those when I wasn't able to recover files from a NTFS partition. It's all in the eyes of a beholder. So it happened to you, so what? Cool down and blame it on your carelessness.

Faulty hard drives just don't tend to work properly and it is your own fault when you use it for anything critical and lose your files. Isn't that the case here? Have you heard of SMART? When SMART tells you the hard disk is starting to develop bad sectors it's time to let go. When my hard drives start to develop bad sectors I use them for storing non valuable data and I'm not making a fuss about it on some forum. All hard drives eventually fail, be it normal HD or SSD or a hybrid.

Now when it comes to recovering files, in my experience it is mostly just luck and trying different software no matter the platform that could help you to recover some of them and sheer luck if you can get them all back. In 20 years it happened to me [to be able to recover *all* the files] just a few times. When HD with your precious data is dead it is best to send it to a company that deals with recovering files and you have to pay for that, heftily.

My advice is: if you have a faulty hard drive - bin it! Or at least never rely on it. Especially when the bad sectors are in the MFT of the hard drive. I've got a few of those for show, on my wall. :) For some reason HDs like to develop bad sectors especially in MFT because that's the part of the hard drive that gets most read and written to.

Good luck! :)
Last edited by DuX on Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

DuX wrote:If you have a faulty hard drive, good luck with any operating system to recover the files. Don't blame it on Linux, man.
No. You got the wrong end of the stick.

I wasn't blaming linux. I didn't have a faulty hard drive.

I understand what you are saying.

I know you and UltraJV are gurus in the field, but please.

You have both totally missed the point.

Never mind. It was probably something I said.

I can't believe either of you would ever try to make me suck eggs like that.

Wow.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”