Tremor - Can it do anything else except harsh industrial electro?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

lotus2035 wrote:
codec_spurt wrote:
lotus2035 wrote:I sold it because it was a CPU hog. If you want something similar that's not a CPU hog and much cheaper take a look at Drumatic 4.

http://www.drumatic.info/
Got it. Nothing that Tremor can't do. No sequencer either. Which is kind of the point with Tremor - it is a drum sequencer!

Yeah but it's not a CPU hog and the lack of sequencer is of no consequence if you use it inside a DAW.

That is true! All very pertinent points and none that any one would contend.

Maybe we could just put this in stone once and for all?

We are just going around in circles here.

Everything you said is true. It was said by about 20 people before you with no argument from FXpansion or the people that use the software.

It is just reiterating the point.

That's ok, new users need to know limitations. I think a cursory google search with kvr in the string might enlighten them very much.

It's more than a hog on my system, it is practically unusable, but I use a very old system. On my main overclocked DAW it is no better or worse than anything else, I have so much horsepower to spare. And that is just an i5. Come on, most people are using i7s now.

And maybe you need to render down. Look, this point has been made. Tremor is a hog. It demands all resources. But having said that, I have had an instance or two going at once on my shitty laptop. Just like Spectral which is known for being a resource hog as well, but for me, I can get three or four instances going of some patches.

I'm not defending it. I am explaining it. I don't care.

But for pity's sake, can we not have any more 'it is a bit of a cpu hog' threads any more? We all know that. But feel free, no law against it. I find it boring but someone else might find it informative. Those that have not got the point.

You do what you can..

codec_spurt wrote: There are some great patterns in there and it approaches the whole sequencer thing in a 21st Century style. You have to try it to see. It really is a lot of fun and a real joy to use. They got tricks no one else thought of yet. At least, I have never seen them before.
I don't find it a joy to use, but I likely work differently than you.
More often than not I find myself frustrated and wishing the step values (on/off), sequence end points, pattern selection, and other seq parameters could be assigned to host, or controller automation.

codec_spurt wrote:
Sendy wrote:I end up using it to make weird, polyphonic, slowly morphing ostinato lines, a la 90's orbient.

Thankyou and goodnight!

I think that answers pretty much 99 percent of any qualms any future users might have had.
Sarcasm? :o
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

Winstontaneous wrote:Tremor is indeed weird, it has a truly brilliant programming/modulation interface mixed with harsh, distorted stock sounds and a fairly unintuitive synth paradigm. It's frustrating because Geist, its sample-based stablemate, sounds so fookin' good, and since Tremor munches a lot of CPU making these gritty tones.

Most stock Tremor sounds are way too distorted to be useful. In "Kit" mode, audition Bass Drum "Presets" until you find something close to what you like. Open the Synth editor then turn off both Pre and Post Drive, and bypass the Filter, or at least turn down Filter Gain to "0". Also be sure there is no distortion active in the Master FX section.

It would take more $$, but Simon Stockhausen (aka Sampleconstruct's) Tremor soundbank sounds really good and reveals the power lurking under Tremor's hood. Considering Simon's lineage, wouldn't expect anything less. :tu:
cheers for posting that link, bought it last night, great soundset

blackflag wrote:I just with they'd add the poly rhythmic sequencer and probability effects to Geist,.
The poly abilities are there in Geist - you just have to spread your meters and lengths across engines. Which is the same as in Tremor - one meter/length per synth engine - but in Geist each engine has 16 pads with up to 8 samples per pad.

For the probability - you can get a similar effect by placing multiple samples on a pad and setting that pad's layer play mode to random. You can even use a silent sample, or multiple silent samples, if you want it to randomly mute on some steps. Admittedly this is less convenient than simply dragging a slider.

I brought Tremor a couple of weeks ago because I found it was capable of many varied drum and percussion sounds. I can't really comment on the included sounds because I like programming them myself which is also another reason I was attracted to it. Programming Tremor I think is very quick and straight forward with no fiddly drop down menus and everything is right there in front of you. For people that don't like programming they would be better off with Battery or Maschine since they are sample based. For people who like to program their own sounds I certainly recommend Tremor and Rob Papen Punch which is also very very good.

Sendy wrote:
codec_spurt wrote:
Sendy wrote:I end up using it to make weird, polyphonic, slowly morphing ostinato lines, a la 90's orbient.

Thankyou and goodnight!

I think that answers pretty much 99 percent of any qualms any future users might have had.
Sarcasm? :o

No, Irony! :o

Are you American?

I'd say it was both ironic and sarcastic, but to be honest at first I figured you were just straight up agreeing with me. After all, if it can make ambient music, that's pretty far away from distorted industrial. With that one rushed line of text, I confirmed that Tremor can pretty much make any style of music.
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

I produced one track that used two instances of Tremor for all drums/percussion. Tremor's modulation options are really inspiring and the step sequencer's pretty pleasant to use. I will agree with others about Tremor's CPU needs. The fact that I used two instances of it resulted in some real headaches until I just started freezing everything. (Actually at the end of the day I didn't use all the sounds I had designed for the two kits I made for this song; it's possible I could have condensed it into a single kit, but I'm not sure.)

Anyway, here's the track, and I wouldn't characterize it as harsh, industrial, or electro.

https://soundcloud.com/ultimateoutsider ... hedwig-and

EDIT: I will add that Waldorf Attack offers more traditional programming parameters (and 3 times as many voices) and more of a traditional sound than Tremor, but lacks some of the modulation and effects that set Tremor apart.

[quote="UltimateOutsider"]I produced one track that used two instances of Tremor for all drums/percussion. Tremor's modulation options are really inspiring and the step sequencer's pretty pleasant to use. I will agree with others about Tremor's CPU needs. The fact that I used two instances of it resulted in some real headaches until I just started freezing everything. (Actually at the end of the day I didn't use all the sounds I had designed for the two kits I made for this song; it's possible I could have condensed it into a single kit, but I'm not sure.)

Anyway, here's the track, and I wouldn't characterize it as harsh, industrial, or electro.

EDIT: I will add that Waldorf Attack offers more traditional programming parameters (and 3 times as many voices) and more of a traditional sound than Tremor, but lacks some of the modulation and effects that set Tremor apart.[/quote]
Absolutely love this song! Well done! :phones:
Makes me want to go back and explore Tremor again. :tu:

Sendy wrote:I'd say it was both ironic and sarcastic, but to be honest at first I figured you were just straight up agreeing with me. After all, if it can make ambient music, that's pretty far away from distorted industrial. With that one rushed line of text, I confirmed that Tremor can pretty much make any style of music.

I was just being contrary. Got a mate from Glasgow. Don't matter what you say to him, he will always disagree with it. It is fun for a while, but then, it becomes pathological and he can't let go, so you agree with him just to let it go, which he disagrees with. I did say it was pathological.

f**king nightmare.

Thankfully, things haven't got that bad yet between us.

UltimateOutsider wrote:I produced one track that used two instances of Tremor for all drums/percussion. Tremor's modulation options are really inspiring and the step sequencer's pretty pleasant to use. I will agree with others about Tremor's CPU needs. The fact that I used two instances of it resulted in some real headaches until I just started freezing everything. (Actually at the end of the day I didn't use all the sounds I had designed for the two kits I made for this song; it's possible I could have condensed it into a single kit, but I'm not sure.)

EDIT: I will add that Waldorf Attack offers more traditional programming parameters (and 3 times as many voices) and more of a traditional sound than Tremor, but lacks some of the modulation and effects that set Tremor apart.

I listened to it for the first 30 seconds, then I realised you were using frequencies that everyone else does.

No one does that any more. You need to use new frequencies. Beyonce and Gucci have copyright on those frequencies. You aren't allowed to use them!

codec_spurt wrote:I listened to it for the first 30 seconds, then I realised you were using frequencies that everyone else does.

No one does that any more. You need to use new frequencies. Beyonce and Gucci have copyright on those frequencies. You aren't allowed to use them!
You're right. This is why my next track will be recorded at 192kHz and will only be audible to bats.

:phones:
:borg:

How are you guys sequencing with this plugin, inside the plugin or in daw?

I'm a bit confused by it tbh, tried sequencing inside the plugin but couldn't figure out how to get any other patterns playing, tried inputting midi inside Ableton but couldn't make parameter changes in real time that way. Also saw a youtube video of a guy resampling each sound into his daw...... :? :scared:

Return to “Instruments”