Question to field recording

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have a Roland R-05 recorder and a little problem with it.
When I make field recording with it I hear a kind of white noise sound on the recordings.
I think that it is the noise from the mic amp.
Then I tested the external mic Roland CS-15s. To my surprise the white noise sound is here much louder than with the inbuild mics.
Today I tried the Roland R26 in my musicstore. It sounds much better but I still hear a little bit of white noises.

Are there field recorder on the market that have no problem with mic amp noises?

Hi

I use a FOSTEX FR2-LE, with a pair of SHURE KSM141, and I like the result. There is a bit of noise of course, it is no sound device, but really not an issue by any stretch.

Have a good day!

mic's also have selfnoise...so that's something to consider too, also microphone sensitivity is also a thing to think about, basically if we talking handheld recorders, go with sony (d50,d100), they produce less noise.

if size does not matter to you, cheapest solution that produce great results, would be fostex fr2le(good enough for NASA, and it was used in some movies...for example Lincoln movie, for clocks recordings), then tascam dr680, and the next step would be industry standarts like sound devices, zaxcom etc.

choose your mics for things you record...loud sounds should be recorded with not so sensitive mics, that can handle high spl...mic self noise isn't an issue for loud sounds.

quiet sounds should be recorded with higher sensitivity mics, that also have less selfnoise.

p.s.:sorry for my not so good english ;)

Is there possibly a line input that you can try with an external preamp of good quality?

Just to narrow down where the issue is.

Many thanks for your help. :-)
The Sony D50 seems to be very interesting.
Hope that my music store has one.

mcnys wrote:mic's also have selfnoise...so that's something to consider too, also microphone sensitivity is also a thing to think about, basically if we talking handheld recorders, go with sony (d50,d100), they produce less noise.
The Sony PCM-M10 is great in that regard also. It's remarkably quiet, with astonishingly good battery life. It's also much smaller than the D50 and has the cross-memory recording feature (if the internal memory is full, it seamlessly continues the recording on the external memory card).

Just adding this since the PCM-M10 is in the same price category as the Roland R-05. The D50 is discontinued (quite old by now, too), and the D100 costs four times as much. :) (Ken Rockwell has a solid review here.)

Return to “Production Techniques”