Can't understand this quote from Joel Zimmerman (deadmau5) - Help please.

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Since when did this turn into an argument on wether deadmau5 is good or not?
Stick to the subject!

So what I got from that is that (a) compressors take a certain amount of time to trigger and for their envelope to reach it's maximum, so it's good to move kicks forwards, (b) moving kicks forwards, even by a tiny amount, can free up space on the beat, by moving the energy away from the dead center of the beat, plus (c) having certain kicks on certain beats early or late by microscopic amounts creates a groove that is felt rather than heard.

Spreading simultaneous events out so they don't all occur dead on the beat is an old trick, and a good one. There's a whole science to delaying or advancing certain tracks or elements to create a better groove and mix.
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

It's useless to speak about bad vs good music. With a $12 Million net worth he is very commercial successful in this business and it seems he has also some knowledge about recording/synth etc because there is nothing wrong with his statements.
So there are a lot of people who like his "boring sounds, stabs and white noise" ;)
Maybe he is a bit rude (it's a bit funny how often he is using "f**king off") but who cares? I must not like his music (and to be honest, I have completely no interest for his music) but I have always respect for people which are more successful in this business than most of us.

[double post]

steffeeH wrote:Since when did this turn into an argument on wether deadmau5 is good or not?
Stick to the subject!
It's inevitable. Joel's a mediocre musical talent that's made up for it by working hard and getting a good schtick going. Like Madonna, Kiss, Lady Gaga, etc, they're more about "show" than substance. There's nothing wrong with this just as there's nothing wrong with Twinkies. We just can't talk about them in the same context as artisan baked goods.

All his music sounds, to me, like preset pack demo tracks. I will give him props (look I'm rapping like the kids!) for being a good sound designer. So when he starts dispensing advice like he's bringing down tablets from mount Sinai it sets people off. I still think back fondly to the time he decided to do a modular synth demo video where he clearly is confused, stoned and lacking intimate knowledge about how the system he's demoing works. Have I ever done such things? All the time! (well, minus the stoned part, but I used to love to buy a new piece of gear the day before I did LSD back in the day...) The difference is I do not have the hubris to document my blunderings.

So, take mediocrity, add a big dollop of hubris and watch the chorus start singing about the hero's demise. It's classic theater.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

steffeeH wrote:Since when did this turn into an argument on wether deadmau5 is good or not?
Stick to the subject!
Sorry for the hijack. Just added a little salt and pepper. You can have it back now.

Return to “Production Techniques”