If you could only buy from 8 developers + your DAW who would you buy from?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

mellotronaut wrote:
codec_spurt wrote:
http://www.rentagerman.de/

:lol: :borg:

Got mine for the night.

What are you doing?

NI, AAS, Valhalla, Melda, ToneBoosters, FabFilter, Uppercussion, and your mom.

DAW: Fl Studio - for piano roll, manageable flexibility and automation. Not the most stable DAW, but it keeps getting better and there certainly are worse out there (most of them I reckon, seeing the trouble people keep reporting on KVR).

8 devs and attempts to give reasons or at least throw a few words about each dev out there:

1 Vaz Synths - when it comes to software Vaz Modular = my first love, great soundqality pr CPU cycle (or whatever i should call it) and it still seems unsurpassed when it comes to functionality - support used to be amasing and updates frequent when Martin Fay had the time but it seems he has to prioritise otherwise now - price dropped because of this though after a user suggested that.

2 u-he - great at keeping customers happy, amazing products full of character, great user manuals.

3 Vember Audio - just for Surge wich is easy on the CPU while sounding good to my ears as long as I know what I'm doing with it, and I still find new tricks to teach it after all these years. Bonus points for its slogan "Binary is beautiful".

4 Native Instruments - customer service is variable but products are unique and the user manuals tend to be amazing.

5 Meldaproduction - generally good customer service, love the flexibility and quality of the plugins and the modulation system and all... ..and bonus points for allowing some things other manufacturers set out to disallow.

6 Fabfilter - about as userfriendly as they come, healthy attitude to customers.

7 ValhallaDSP - ÜberMod is something else, Shimmer is nice placed between or before other plugs. Minus points for bugs that should have been fixed long ago and makes it hard to use some of the algorithms in ÜberMod among other things as it will refuse to let you make certain choices unless you bend over backwards a bit.

8 Audio Damage - perhaps generally the most limited plugins among these but also some of the cutest, bonus points for the actually amusing parts in the user manuals.

Reducing it to 24, hm.. Can't do the mulltiple of 2 thing as for 2 devs I only have 1 product from each but I'll try to stick to it for the rest (no particular system to the order beyond placing Vaz Modular first and Surge second):

1 - Vaz Modular
2 - Vember Audio Surge
3 - u-he Bazille
4 - u-he Zebra
5 - u-he MFM2
6 - Native Instruments Absynth 5
7 - Native Instruments FM8
8 - Native Instruments Reaktor 5
9 - Native Instruments Guitar Rig 5
10 - Meldaproduction MMultiBandFreqShiter
11 - Meldaproduction MAutoDynamicEQ
12 - Meldaproduction MVocoder
13 - Meldaproduction MMultiBandTremolo
14 - Audio Damage Tattoo
15 - Audio Damage Automaton
16 - u-he Uhbik
17 - Fabfilter Pro-MB
18 - Audio Damage EOS
19 - Fabfilter Saturn
20 - Meldaproduction MMultibandWaveshaper
21 - Audio Damage Axon (not essential, but if it were a choice to commit to I'd want it there every now and then + it helps make it a multiple of 2)
22 - Meldaproduction MMultiBandChorus
23 - ValhallaDSP ValhallaÜberMod
24 - ValhallaDSP ValhallaShimmer

U-he
AAS
FxPansion
Valhalla

uhhh... and a few others

Ableton

Apple Logic Pro X
(Favorite and most flexible DAW for me would like to see Celemony ARA support, and AU to pass midi, cloud based jamming etc.)

Spectrasonics
Stlylus RMX
Omnisphere
Trilian

U-HE
Zebra 2
Bazille
Diva

Rob Papen
Blue 2
Predator
SubBoomBass

IK Multimedia
TRacks
Amplitube 3
Arc System 2

Native Instruments
Maschine 2.0
Reaktor 5
Kontakt 5

Camel Audio
Alchemy
Camelphat
Camelspace

Universal Audio
API Vision Channel Strip Plug-In
Teletronix® LA-2A Classic Leveler Collection
EMT® 140 Classic Plate Reverberator Plug-In

Toontrack
Superior Drummer 2.0

We do get as much hardware as we want on top of the 8/24 though - right?

:hihi:

I'd have to go with the usuals... and then focus on expanding the samplers

DAW: FL Studio

U-he (Zebra, Diva, Uhbik, Satin)

NI (Guitar Rig, Kontakt, Session Horns Pro, Studio Drummer, Cuba Drums, West Africa Drums, Alicia's Keys, Evolutions I & II, Premium Tube Series)

Image Line (Harmor, Drumaxx)

UVI (Plugsound Pro, Urban Suite, Complete Toy Musuem, IRCAM Solo Instruments, Synths Anthology, Biosphere, Sparkverb)

Spectrasonics (Omnisphere)

Gospel Musicians (NeoSoul Keys UVI, Pure Synth Platinum)

MOTU (Mach5)

Magix (Independence Pro)
I read more than post = I listen more than I talk

Hmmmmmm. Okay, here's mine:

DAW: Ableton Live 9 Suite

U-he
Fabfilter
FXpansion
ValhallaDSP
iZotope
DMG Audio
Camel Audio
Tone2

codec_spurt wrote:
mellotronaut wrote:
codec_spurt wrote:
http://www.rentagerman.de/

:lol: :borg:

Got mine for the night.

What are you doing?
i'm on a diet. no more Germans for the night.
"It dreamed itself along"

I have things I love from so many brands, so it would be difficult for me to limit myself to just 8 software developers. Anyway, if I were just starting out, I'd probably buy from these brands (I don't have stuffs from all of them, but some of their products overlay with what I already own... but I may still buy them in future)

Daw: Steinberg Cubase, my favourite daw
Plugins:
- Waves (Kramer Master Tape, H-Delay, C1, maybe also L1 and Lo-Air and Supertap)
- U-He (Diva)
- Tokyo Dawn Records (SlickEQ GE)
- FXPansion (Geist, maybe also DCAM Synth Squad and ETCH)
- Soundtoys (MicroShift and [Little]Primal Tap, maybe also Radiator)
- ValhallaDSP (ValhallaVintageVerb)

Well, I have still 2 spare developers to choose: I could either buy Halion from Steinberg, Kontakt from Native Instruments or Reason (for the NNXT) from Propellerheads, so one of them would be my 7th developer.
The 8th developer could be one between Audio Damage (KombinatDVA) or LiquidSonics (Reverberate) or something else from other brands... But, being not sure which one to choose, it means that I'd already have enough tools to make music with the previous brands, so my list could be of just 7 developers. If freeware software must also be included in the list, then I'd add Voxengo as my 8th developer because of the SPAN Analyzer.

I'd also live rather happily with less than 24 plugins other than the daw's built-in.

Back to real world: I didn't count how many brands I have right now in my setup, but I think I have at least 30 different brands just for software and 10 or more for hardware (synth, fx, controllers). That's somehow scaring...

Return to “Instruments”