Crazy to think Vaz Modular is the best wavetable synth

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Ingonator wrote:I got a bunch of wavetable scanning synths and most of those seem to be better than VAZ Moular fo that task (i have owned VAZ Modular until a few yeras ago).

With Blofeld, WaveGenerator, Synthmaster, DUNE 2 and Rayblaster it is possible to use your own wavetables (the free "Audio Term" tool is very helpful for some of those).
Based on the amount of patches i did for it (around 270+ patches) my favorite from those is PPG Wave 3.V.
Besides around 130+ included wavetables you could import samples with it.

In DUNE 2 the "Supersaw" feature works with all waveforms including wavetables which could lead to very nice results.

For doing more complex patches with a dual multimode filter something like Largo, Blofeld, Synthmaster or Electra 2 is a good choice. Anyway so far for wavetable scanning, especially the more "digital" sounds, i found a LPF more useful than e.g. a BPF while a BPF could be nice for more "analog like" sounds. In several cases some wavetables already seem to recreate the effect of using an additional filter (with the way how waveforms are morphed). In certain cases a wavetable taht includes multiple formant waveforms could be superior to using a single waveform in combination with a frmant filter.
A unique filter like the Comb filter (e.g. Largo, Blofeld) could lead to interesting results that are not easy to replicate with other filters.
So you like the sound quality of the wavetables in most other synths compared to Vaz? Stuff like blacktomcat666 posted using Vaz doesn't seem to be found or heard in other synths.

Nice list of wavetable synths. Thanks for the suggestions/tips on things to think about when using wavetable synths.

Interesting that you say you're favorite is Waldorf PPG 3.V as that's mine as well. I like all the wavetables it has and they all sound great. I'm surprised Electra 2 can't import samples like Rayblaster. I just downloaded the demo of Electra 2 and found out there aren't any wavetables to demo, they're all in the expansion pack (most likely a separate purchase). The Electra 2 wavetable pack sounded nice in spots on their website. I'm going to demo Dune 2 next to see what wavetables it comes with.

The only thing about the PPG 3.V is that it is a little limited in terms of routings and modulations. I wish they made a Blofeld 2 with everything the PPG 3.V has.

Xfer's Serum looks promising... I wish there was at least a basic list of features on the site... Looks cool though.

I'm a fan of Cableguy's Curve 2, Zebra, Largo, Synthmaster, Helix... but it's more of a hi-fi kind of sound as opposed to old school Waldorfish sounds. I know people will hit me for saying this, but I'm just not a big fan of the gritty Microwave XT sound. I never dug my Evolver either. I always thought that Korg's and Ensoniq's Transwave implementations of wavetables were more interesting and sweeter sounding.

I find something to like about a lot of modern software wavetable synths. So far there's not one that really does it all for me. I'm looking forward to installing Wusik 8000 now that my computer is set up.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Kriminal wrote:Vaz synths were way ahead of their time. Awesome sound, and still capable of keeping up with the 'big guns' today.
Hi there...just a short story.

I think it goes quite some years ago (time when KVR was called kvr-vst) when i tried VAZ for the first time. I instantly loved that sound.

Now i know we are in 2014, i am aware of most advanced and most belowed KVR synths (i have them) but for some reason i am finding VAZ Modular (and his little brothers) great sounding synth.

In a way that this synth is enough different in sound character that i am using it over most of these new synths. No it's not nostalgia it's just sound which is so good in it...

I hope developer is doing good with it and that there is no sign of abandonig it or something similar. VAZ have some quirks and all that but it is VERY capable synth and there is something inside of it which i like - period.

I am aware i will be flamed but i like it better then Bazille. Quite a lot..

zerocrossing wrote:Xfer's Serum looks promising... I wish there was at least a basic list of features on the site... Looks cool though.
This was part of a discussion about a Dubstep demo featuring Serum that got posted on the X-fer FB page. I guess that's kind of new info :)

:borg:

kmonkey wrote:
Kriminal wrote:Vaz synths were way ahead of their time. Awesome sound, and still capable of keeping up with the 'big guns' today.
Hi there...just a short story.

I think it goes quite some years ago (time when KVR was called kvr-vst) when i tried VAZ for the first time. I instantly loved that sound.

Now i know we are in 2014, i am aware of most advanced and most belowed KVR synths (i have them) but for some reason i am finding VAZ Modular (and his little brothers) great sounding synth.

In a way that this synth is enough different in sound character that i am using it over most of these new synths. No it's not nostalgia it's just sound which is so good in it...

I hope developer is doing good with it and that there is no sign of abandonig it or something similar. VAZ have some quirks and all that but it is VERY capable synth and there is something inside of it which i like - period.

I am aware i will be flamed but i like it better then Bazille. Quite a lot..
I feel the same! It makes me feel glad to see other users that appreciate Vaz and the sound. I was kinda suprised to see a couple of new Vaz topics suddenly appear! And good to see the dev here too! Vaz is wonderfully raw.

when i think wavetable, i still think good 'ol Z3ta+ :shrug:
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

Return to “Instruments”