Why no Joe Meek VSTs?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Is anyone aware of any Joe Meek emulations in VST land? I know about the Protools bundle, but that's no help to the rest of us!
Anything comparable soundwise in VST?

xalama qo wrote:Is anyone aware of any Joe Meek emulations in VST land? I know about the Protools bundle, but that's no help to the rest of us!
Anything comparable soundwise in VST?
There is it in Liquid Mix .. joe meek hardware is cheap and not so big interest from it..

If you consider how Joe Meek achieved his sounds, you'll realize why they don't exist.

You really need some analog tape, some vintage hardware compressors, a good home made spring reverb, a tape delay and an echo chamber.

Also, you should produce sounds that work on mono lo-fi equipment so that they sound good on 50 year old technology. :)

There's no short cut to getting the sounds that he produced.

Yup, true, no shortcuts in getting anything to sound proper good! But it just dawned on me the other day that I'd never seen the Protools equivalents as VSTs.
Maybe they just suck?
Does anyone who owns the Protools JoeMeek bundle care to chime in on the quality/usability of these plugs?

To be honest I don't even know why those would exist. Maybe they do suck, or that they just use the name and don't do the same thing.

Don't think I know anyone who owns them, but maybe you could search for reviews online and get some opinions?

xalama qo wrote:Yup, true, no shortcuts in getting anything to sound proper good! But it just dawned on me the other day that I'd never seen the Protools equivalents as VSTs.
Maybe they just suck?
Does anyone who owns the Protools JoeMeek bundle care to chime in on the quality/usability of these plugs?
In case its not clear, they weren't an emulation of gear made (or used) by Joe Meek, the person, they were emulations of gear made by Joe Meek the company named in homage to the person.

http://www.joemeek.com/

The plugins were written by Bomb Factory before being acquired by Digidesign, one of the earliest modelled-on-hardware sets of effects, AFAIK. BF also did the Moogerfooger plugins and some other hardware emulations including the 1176 that still ships as standard with PT.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

The original solid state optical SC2 boxes were pretty cool. I owned one back in the 90s. Very colored at a time when there were fewer options for that kind of thing than there are today. Not "low end" at the time. Ted Fletcher knows what he's doing. :) As for VST, why not? I'd check it out.
"Time makes fools of us all. Our only comfort is that greater shall come after us." Eric Temple Bell

http://thetomorrowfile.bandcamp.com/

@rabbit, i'm aware that Ted Fletcher is carrying on the Joe Meek legacy and still produces hardware under the Joe Meek brand and TFPro. Thanks for the insights anyway.

You would think that there would have been some attempt to emulate the characteristics of the hardware that Ted produces, especially as his signature is on the plugin GUIs.
Joe Meek comps etc were quite the 'in thing' for a while in the late 90's or so. I've never used the hardware or software, but i imagine it has its own character.
So, i just think it's unusual that nobody has emu'ed them in software except for the Protools versions, which by now are quite dated.

I of course wasn't referring to Joe Meek's recording and engineering techniques or the sound of his productions as the Joe Meek 'sound'. I meant the sound of the Joe Meek compressor and EQ, the closest hardware counterparts would probably be the C2 and MQ3.

After a long wait, MeekPro from Acidacide is available in the kvr dev contest 2014 for free.

robojam wrote:To be honest I don't even know why those would exist. Maybe they do suck, or that they just use the name and don't do the same thing.
Well, even the name sucks by several standards.

Let's have a listen at his latest"incredible" recordings..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sfH16XrEfc

This guys is a crazy, coward murderer. I really don't understand how some ppl can follow anything "Meek", both from the musical and moral point of view.
Fabien from Tokyo Dawn Records

Check out my audio processors over at the Tokyo Dawn Labs!

FabienTDR wrote:I really don't understand how some ppl can follow anything "Meek", both from the musical and moral point of view.
How is it possible to have such a fanatical opinion about something you admit you don't understand?

Joe Meek killed an innocent person just before taking his own life. I don't think it's fanatical to question why some people would admire a person who did that, regardless of their artistic talents.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

cryophonik wrote:Joe Meek killed an innocent person just before taking his own life. I don't think it's fanatical to question why some people would admire a person who did that, regardless of their artistic talents.
One - FabianTDR wasn't disregarding, but trashing his talents.
Two - Meek was psychotically paranoid.
We should hate the mentally ill?
Disgraceful bigotry.

cryophonik wrote:Joe Meek killed an innocent person just before taking his own life. I don't think it's fanatical to question why some people would admire a person who did that, regardless of their artistic talents.
But you don't admire the person. You admire their artistic talents. You can admire the person too if they're a person worth admiring in addition to being artistically talented of course...

Now, about that modern loudness war I keep hearing about... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3ppQn7gUt4

quite a brick. :)
regards,
brok landers
BIGTONEsounddesign
gear is as good as the innovation behind it-the man

Return to “Effects”