Cut Monark CPU in half with sample rate adjustment

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Has anyone noticed that by default Monark is set to 88200 Hz sample rate? Setting this to 44.1 lowers the CPU by half and honestly I haven't heard much difference for most sounds. I was expecting it to be worse but I've been pushing the filters and driving it and really not hearing any difference accept for some really high notes on sharp patches with the faintest aliasing. Personally I wouldn't normally use this range where it's barely noticeable anyways.

Anyways there's a tip - Try lowering the sample rate to save cpu.

I've done the same thing with a couple of heavy hitters from the UL. It works great!

Care to tell us how we do that? :)

Totolitoto wrote:Care to tell us how we do that? :)
All Reaktor ensembles let you adjust the sample rate in the top right corner. You should see 88200 or 882. Just click that and change to Fixed 44.1 or Host (44.1) if you're host is set at that.

You get a warning box that best quality is at 88.2 but like I said, you'll probably never notice a difference.

:oops: Oh ok, I thought it was some internal settings
Last edited by Totolitoto on Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks for the tip, will try that. :tu:
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Lower sample rate = more aliasing. If you're fine with that, go ahead. I'm not, personally, so I just leave it at 88200.

EvilDragon wrote:Lower sample rate = more aliasing. If you're fine with that, go ahead. I'm not, personally, so I just leave it at 88200.
Yes of course but my point is that it is FAR less noticeable than I expected in Monark for most situations. For 95% of sounds there is NO discernible difference so why waste the CPU. If you haven't compared, you might want to.

Higher resonance and filter FM sounds will indeed benefit from higher SR. I did compare, that's why I'm keeping it at 88.2k, well at least that's my 2c :)

Can you actually put it higher if you want super extra mega quality?
circuit modeling and 0-dfb filters are cool

You won't gain much by going above 96k is what I gather. The structure is finetuned for 88.2/96k.

Yeah in the rare instances that I could get a bit of aliasing at 44.1, it was totally gone at 88.2 so no point in anything higher.

Maybe stupid question but why is it 44100/48k or 88200/96k? What's with the two values?

Audio CDs are 44.1k, but when working with video, it's usually 48k.

Return to “Instruments”