Cubase AI7 when?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Guillermo Navarrete wrote:Hello Cone,
Cone wrote: Don't know about the upgrade path from AI7 to Elements 7, so find out about that from Steinberg.
You can upgrade Cubase AI 7 to Cubase Elements 7 from the online shop, it has a price of 39.99 Euros.
It is available as a donwload.

Best regards,
GN
Considered that upgrade to Elements 7, but for that price I think I will go with full-featured Reaper 4... :hihi:

Guillermo Navarrete wrote:You can upgrade Cubase AI 7 to Cubase Elements 7 from the online shop, it has a price of 39.99 Euros.
It is available as a donwload.
Hi Guillermo, thanks for letting me know that! Appreciated. It's better to have official information, so that's why I deferred the issue. It definitely is a bargain.

Hi, tomorrow I get my Steinerg UR44 comes with Cubase AI 7.
I thought that meant the Cubase Artist 7 version but in this thread I read you can upgrade this to 'Elements' so AI7 can't be the 'Artist' version since that is the middle-class and 'above' Elements.

What exactly is AI 7 then? Steinberg's site is pretty confusing to me figuring out what version it is I'm exactly getting.
Win8.1 64x/Live 9/Steinberg UR44/Roland HP 235/Edirol PCR-800/Eastman AC222/Washburn D12/Ch. Les Paul/Behringer BCF2000 & BCR2000/Korg Nanopad 2/Focusrite VRM Box/AT 2020/2xB5/E825s/Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250/Tannoy 502

Just a very small version of Cubase. I think it's limited to 8 audio and 16 midi tracks, two effects per track. Don't worry though, the UR44 works well with FL Studio and Sonar as well.

Spiritos:
Cubase AI is a cut-down version of Cubase Elements, which in turn is a cut-down of Cubase Artist.

I see. Thanks! Guess I'll stick with Sonar then or maybe install it to see how it integrates with Cubasis on my iPad.
Win8.1 64x/Live 9/Steinberg UR44/Roland HP 235/Edirol PCR-800/Eastman AC222/Washburn D12/Ch. Les Paul/Behringer BCF2000 & BCR2000/Korg Nanopad 2/Focusrite VRM Box/AT 2020/2xB5/E825s/Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250/Tannoy 502

I don't think AI7 is THAT cut-down, AFAIK the limitations are as follows:

Audio tracks ----------------------- 32
MIDI Tracks------------------------- 48
Audio Channel Instert slots------- 4(pre)
Group channels ------------------- 8
Instrument tracks ----------------- 16
VST Instrument slots -------------- 8
MIDI Plug-in insert slots ---------- None

That looks incorrect to me.

Just installed AI7 and @cubanoid seems to be correct.

Does that mean you can only use 8 VSTis in AI7? What are the "instrument tracks" used for then?

Instrument tracks are a combined MIDI track and VSTi so you can host up to 16 single-output instruments with accompanying MIDI tracks. Instrument slots are in addition to these and allow more instruments to be hosted (up to 8 in AI).

Instrument slots support multi-timbral/multi-output instruments so with the right VSTi (Halion Sonic SE for example) you can have multiple sounds being driven by multiple MIDI tracks (each on a different MIDI channel) so 8 slots gives you the potential for a lot of additional tracks. They can also be used with single-output instrument just like instrument tracks, the difference being that you have to create and assign their MIDI tracks manually.

IOW a minimum of 24 VSTi/MIDI tracks with the potential for more if you use multi-timbral instruments in the slots.

thanks cubanoid! that sounds pretty fine, I'm considering buying UR22 audio interface with bundled Cubase AI 7 so I'm glad that it seems to be pretty usable actually, unlike eg Reason Limited

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”