Just got Dada Life Sausage Fattener - oh my !

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

HcDoom wrote:If you want thin digital sound and high loudness, go for it. But for me, no, thanks.
May I ask how do you use it ? (operational workflow)

It is an extremely powerful product (and I do have ThrillME) PROVIDING you know how to use it (ALL the videos I have seen up to this point do exactly the OPPOSITE of how it should be used - hence, one is forced to obtain "thin" sound OR extremely distorted sound).

It is not meant for tweakers. it has a lot of internal automated processes (I have no clue as to what exactly) so if you are after total control, it is not for you.
but if LOUD is what you want, in the quickest way possible - then look no further.
Professional technicians are assessed by the abilities they possess.
Amateur technicians are assessed by the tools they possess - and the amount of those tools, with an obvious preference to the latest hyped ones.
(Gabe Dumbbell)

I can get it loud without Fattener...and without that much aliasing...it all comes down to experience and skill.

HcDoom wrote:I can get it loud without Fattener...and without that much aliasing...it all comes down to experience and skill.
Ha ! that explains a lot :) now I understand exactly how you use it... (no, not really)
Amateur technicians are assessed by the tools they possess - and the amount of those tools, with an obvious preference to the latest hyped ones.
(Gabe Dumbbell)

You expect I write complete way how me and my collegues mix in the studio? :/ Sorry...but it would take too much time. :)

No, just in what fashion you use Dada Life's Sausage Fattener (it's not like a nuclear bomb secret, y'know...)
(Gabe Dumbbell)

I dont use it anymore, it destroys sound and adds loads of aliasing. Just analyse it and youll see...even smallest percentages add unnatural content to your sound. But, if people like that...so be it. :) I dont...

I won't argue with you I'll just say this : from the things you describe, most certain that you use (or, rather, USED) it in a wrong way.

Just to give you a reference point : you describe the exact same phenomenons people were describing upon the coming of UAD 800 tape EMU (when they described how it sounded to them). I'll give you a hint : wrong gain structure.
Now, I can't blame people : the labels (actually it one labek) are f^*cking deceiving. one should read carefully the manual (its not long) before operating this plug.

But hey, in the words of someone here : "it all comes down to experience and skill"

Cheers !
(Gabe Dumbbell)

I wouldnt be in this business if I wouldnt know what proper gain staging is. Anyway, this discussions should end here. You like Fattener even if it adds unnatural content, I dont like it and thats it. :)

HcDoom wrote:Anyway, this discussions should end here.
Yes, you are quite right.
HcDoom wrote:You like Fattener even if it adds unnatural content, I dont like it and thats it. :)
I like SF because it suites my music (lots of heavy bass stuff), because it suites my workflow (as little tweaking as possible) and because is sounds good to my ears (and not only my ears : SOS, Future Music and Computer-Music have not found any "aliasing" and "unnatural color". SOS reviewer's only gripe was that he is "a bit nervous about the idea of using a mastering limiter that has no metering" and "The limited control set tends to bring a large element of pot luck to proceedings". the latter gave it a straight 10)

All in all, one should use what he has in his disposal, what he feels comfortable with and make it sound the best he can.

Cheers !
(Gabe Dumbbell)

Return to “Effects”