unsticky this

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

you need to take a rest after 2 hours of sitting in front of your screen anyways! :lol:

beside the harsh highs, several people have reported some inferior build quality in them, specifically the right tweeter

DELETED

Is it pointless to get small/medium sized desktop monitors without a subwoofer?

I have some m-audio's but my car has a far more expensive setup and the bass just isn't there. You can't feel it in your chest for example with these speakers (though I enjoy them for films).

If you can't feel bass in your chest, is that a good indication your desktop audio isn't setup adequately for making music and mastering?

I recently had my second child, which moved my studio from the awesome 26/20 room on the far side of the house (now called the kid's playroom) to a smaller guest room much closer to the nursery. This meant my Alesis M1 Actives were suddenly way too loud to use during naptimes and after my kids are asleep. I was interested in finding something with more control over the volume, keeping the relatively flat response and if it was possible extending my low end response either with monitors with better range or moving to a 2.1 system.

After searching all over I found that damn near everything that fit my specs were more expensive than 2 kids would allow in the budget.

Talking to a buddy of mine that works for Corsair, he told me "You should check out our SP2500 speakers, we really put a ton of research before we released 'em, separate amplifiers matched to the woofers and tweeters, top quality speakers..." And here I responded with my instinctual musicians reply of "yeah but systems set up for gaming are colored to make movies and music sound 'better' which makes em no good for mixing". He said "and the crossovers are controlled by an onboard micro-controller and the 'default' setting on it is flat as a pancake."

At this point I asked if he'd take em back if they didn't work for me...

Long story short, the Corsair SP2500 speakers are better in almost every way than my Alesis M1 Active's, really do give a better mix that sounds much closer when I do the old "TV, Car, crap computer speakers, headphones, earbuds" comparisons. If you want good monitors with a matched subwoofer for a WAY cheaper budget than M-Audio, Gemini, or KRK, with comparable quality it is definitely a system I personally vouch for as 'studio quality'. (I've been a musician/producer for 20+ years and I'm probably more picky and elitist about my gear than most.)

The only drawback is that they only have RCA and a 3.5 jack inputs instead of XLR like I'm used to, but I have not heard any issues with line noise at all.

Alesis M1 Active 320 and 520 USB Monitors are pretty good.
They are true plug n play... you plug em in via USB and the operating systems default USB drivers show up
and install them as USB Speakers and you can use them right away after setting the Sound Control Panel and selecting them in drop down lists for your audio softwares.

Magnetically shielded and an improvement over computer speakers of some types.
They have a built in audio interface although it's only 16 bit.

I have the 320s and I'm happy I got them. Much better than the Gigaware computer speakers I'd been using to scrape by.
Reaper and FL Studio are my main DAWs. I use them on Ubuntu Studio Linux.
https://SoundCloud.com/Nistegmos

This is an awesome resource. I am looking to get some new monitors soon and this will get me started. It nice to have someone do the research already on the different levels of equipment since most beginner producers don't have tons of money to spend.

Yesterday I bought the new Tannoy 502's. Went to the shop with the intention of buying the Tannoy 601 or KRK RP6 G3 when I found out Tannoy just released a new Reveal line on NAMM 2014:
http://www.tannoystudio.com/reveal-502/

After comparing them to Tannoy 601/Rokit RP G3/Yamaha HS-5/Alesis MKII/Mackie MR5 MK3 to me there was no doubt the 502's were the clearest. Unusual large sweetspot, crisp yet with a punchy bass.

I think in the context of this thread the 502's belong to the "somehat bigger" category because -although they're only 5"inch the frequency response is 49 Hz -43 kHz with 108 dB as compared to the 601 which only has 60 Hz / 30 kHz with 111 dB.

I think Tannoy doesn´t quite get the attention it deserves. I´ll admit I was drawn to the new KRK´s for it´s aesthetics and low freq. response but to me they sounded ´boxed´ and just plain awfull. Happy Tannoy owner here ;)
Win8.1 64x/Live 9/Steinberg UR44/Roland HP 235/Edirol PCR-800/Eastman AC222/Washburn D12/Ch. Les Paul/Behringer BCF2000 & BCR2000/Korg Nanopad 2/Focusrite VRM Box/AT 2020/2xB5/E825s/Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250/Tannoy 502

After comparing them to Tannoy 601/Rokit RP G3/Yamaha HS-5/Alesis MKII/Mackie MR5 MK3 to me there was no doubt the 502's were the clearest. Unusual large sweetspot, crisp yet with a punchy bass.
+1

With the JBL Lsr305 they are the two best budget monitors nowadays.

I haven't read this whole thread, but has anyone mentioned these yet: http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=1 ... 1&format=2 $254.84 for a pair! and good reviews.

or this: http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=1 ... 1&format=2 $95.90

I bought a set of studio headphones from these guys ($25.00), and they are outstanding!

any good and cheap option from samsung?

maudioradium wrote:Is it pointless to get small/medium sized desktop monitors without a subwoofer?

I have some m-audio's but my car has a far more expensive setup and the bass just isn't there. You can't feel it in your chest for example with these speakers (though I enjoy them for films).

If you can't feel bass in your chest, is that a good indication your desktop audio isn't setup adequately for making music and mastering?

that's called becoming deaf. might want to turn your speakers down a little bit :)
Last edited by AstralExistence on Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nistegmos wrote:Alesis M1 Active 320 and 520 USB Monitors are pretty good.
They are true plug n play... you plug em in via USB and the operating systems default USB drivers show up
and install them as USB Speakers and you can use them right away after setting the Sound Control Panel and selecting them in drop down lists for your audio softwares.

Magnetically shielded and an improvement over computer speakers of some types.
They have a built in audio interface although it's only 16 bit.

I have the 320s and I'm happy I got them. Much better than the Gigaware computer speakers I'd been using to scrape by.

seriously? considering those.

What's the best quality budget monitor from this long list?

FYI: As it turns out Tannoy 'revealed' the first batch of the 502's can have more static noise than intended. In other words, a production error. Support can check your serialnumber. The corrected series start from 808174 onwards. If you (like me) have an earlier version you can exchange them at your local store for free.

UPDATE: Have the new set hooked up. The hiss is significantly less than before. Apparently the printboard needs some revision so they fixed my old set but I got a new one anyway.
Last edited by Spiritos on Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Win8.1 64x/Live 9/Steinberg UR44/Roland HP 235/Edirol PCR-800/Eastman AC222/Washburn D12/Ch. Les Paul/Behringer BCF2000 & BCR2000/Korg Nanopad 2/Focusrite VRM Box/AT 2020/2xB5/E825s/Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250/Tannoy 502

Just buy a pair of Presonus Eris E5.

Actually quite decent monitor, I just found the low end little bit quiet compare to medium and high, but still good to work with even on low end ;)

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”