Most comprehensive, feature rich and best-sounding softsynths currently available

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Inversoundzzz wrote:Analog & Operator
:)

LinPlug Spectral should definitely be on your radar as well.

It can be quite dependent on the sounds that appeal to you and the styles of music you do as much as the other points you have listed. I have also experienced that some have borderline support (mostly good, but can suddenly just 'become avoidant'. And some have a community that more than makes up for their quirks. While others can have a community that make owning the good synth not worth the trouble for me. While I think everyone of the ones you have listed are very good synths, some just don't do anything for me and since you mentioned using presets mostly, you have to put the third party sound designers available for them in those comprehensive considerations.
I would also add Absynth to your list. As well as Tone 2 Gladiator 2. Just because they continually make my 'short list' of favorites in the mix. And my go-to-love-all-around synths for hitting all your points are already in your list too.

Aren't these for Ableton Live only and isn't Analog just a VA synth?
Robert Len Stallard
True to the music...

www.RLSguitar.com
KVR Seller/Buyer Feedback

RLSguitar wrote:
Aren't these for Ableton Live only and isn't Analog just a VA synth?
It sure is, don't think you should add them to your list ;)

Updated the list per the following suggestions:

Suggested in posts that meet criteria:
- Dmitry Sches Diversion
- Image Line Harmor (no FM?)
- LinPlug Spectral
- Native Instruments Absynth
- Tone2 Gladiator 2

Others mentioned in posts that don't meet criteria:
- Native Instruments Kontakt (mostly a sampler)
- u-he Diva (mostly VA)
- Synapse Audio Dune 2 (no additive)
- Ableton Analog (mostly VA for Live only?)
- Ableton Operator (for Live only?)
Robert Len Stallard
True to the music...

www.RLSguitar.com

Sorry, posted in error...
Last edited by RLSguitar on Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Robert Len Stallard
True to the music...

www.RLSguitar.com

Cakewalk Z3TA should also be somewhere in the list and maybe Rapture too

Apart from the fact that updates are few and far between (except for the very recent update to 64-bit), you should also check out Virsyn Tera.. sounds wonderful! Some excellent presets. Can be difficult to program, given its huge capacities, but has optional interfaces which kinda transform it into six smaller synths (analog, spectral etc.). Built-in multi-track arpeggiator that can even transmit to external MIDI. Built-in FX are limited to chorus/phaser/flanger, delay and overdrive, per "part", plus a global chorus and reverb.
I did get a life,once...but it was faulty, so I sent it back.

splappos wrote:Cakewalk Z3TA should also be somewhere in the list and maybe Rapture too
I have these but haven't learned to program yet. I use only the presets and like Rapture presets a bit more than Z3ta+2, which seems more harsher sounding to me. However, I wouldn't include these on the list mainly because the last updates where in August 2010 and October 2011.

I consider the slow update a problem since these aren't bug-free and am beginning to wonder if these are abandonware. Perhaps now that Gibson owns Cakewalk, development will pick up again. Also, Cakewalk's support isn't top quality from my experience while they were owned by Roland, which is a shame because I use Roland gear and love it. I also have a Gibson Les Paul and love it too. Hopefully, Gibson/TASCAM will be better at managing the development and support of software products than Roland.
http://www.cakewalk.com/Page/Gibson-FAQ
Robert Len Stallard
True to the music...

www.RLSguitar.com

BBFG# wrote:It can be quite dependent on the sounds that appeal to you and the styles of music you do as much as the other points you have listed...
If forced to classify the music I create, I would categorize it as progressive ambient rock. However, I rather call it "alpha music" for stimulating your alpha brain waves, so being non genre-specific. :wink:
Robert Len Stallard
True to the music...

www.RLSguitar.com

While Harmor is a really awesome synth that can do things in the realm of subtractive synthesis that other synths can't because it has an additive engine, I think Sytrus is the most flexible/comprehensive IL synth still. Additive, subtractive, waveshaping tools+the spectral editor is easier than Harmor's, FM, RM. The GUI is pretty tiny in 2014 but Sytrus is still a monster that covers most of the basic synthesis methods and can produce a massive array of sounds

Oh what the hell, no-one else has said it outside the OP - Omnisphere. If I read your criteria right, it's essentially about sheer breadth and diverstiy of sound, plus ease of use and navigation. Omni scores very highly on all that - it can be a pure VA or use the hugely diverse soundsources as starting points. The patches are uniformly excellent, and there's now a great range of 3rd party stuff too (anything by The Unfinished, Plugin Guru's Toxic is great for hardcore edm). The patch and soundsource tag browser has no equal, end of story. And it has the Orb for useful experimentation if you're not sure of the specific way you want to edit.

[stands back and watches the thread disintegrate - all my opinion only needless to say]
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

RLSguitar wrote:I have these but haven't learned to program yet. I use only the presets and like Rapture presets a bit more than Z3ta+2, which seems more harsher sounding to me. However, I wouldn't include these on the list mainly because the last updates where in August 2010 and October 2011.

I consider the slow update a problem since these aren't bug-free and am beginning to wonder if these are abandonware. Perhaps now that Gibson owns Cakewalk, development will pick up again. Also, Cakewalk's support isn't top quality from my experience while they were owned by Roland, which is a shame because I use Roland gear and love it. I also have a Gibson Les Paul and love it too. Hopefully, Gibson/TASCAM will be better at managing the development and support of software products than Roland.
http://www.cakewalk.com/Page/Gibson-FAQ
Thery're certainly not "abadonware"...they recently had a huge sale and apparently Z3TA 2 sold out in pluginboutique in just a few hours. Featurewise Z3TA checks high on everything you included in your list and to be honest I never encountered a serious bug with it. Also its quite "smooth-sounding" to my ears.

By the way another seriously comprehensive synth is Vember Audio Surge.

RLSguitar wrote:
BBFG# wrote:It can be quite dependent on the sounds that appeal to you and the styles of music you do as much as the other points you have listed...
If forced to classify the music I create, I would categorize it as progressive ambient rock. However, I rather call it "alpha music" for stimulating your alpha brain waves, so being non genre-specific. :wink:
8) I could even aspire to that!

Ours seems to be tailored much by my old leanings in 70's prog rock and 70's jazz fusion along with my wife's new age styles, while trying to let some of the newer stuff of world and minor trip hop influence without taking over.

I really suggest you check out the Gladiator too then for your list.
Tone2 has assuaged the GAS in a way of me not wanting or needing Blue II or Omnisphere and has even pushed Synthmaster to a much less used synth for me.

I've installed a new SSD this weekend and looking at my 'short list' of what I need up and running first, it came down to Alchemy; Zebra; Gladiator and Komplete/Maschine. (and my short list for Komplete is Kontakt; Absynth; Reaktor; Battery.)

Something else I hadn't thought about though, is that U-He and Tone2 synths run from the secondary drive without needing to re-install them to set a registry key first.

Return to “Instruments”