Most comprehensive, feature rich and best-sounding softsynths currently available

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Kriminal wrote:
4damind wrote:Dune2 has all of this features.
Really? Wheres the additive part in dune2?
I would say that Dune 2 does additive, even if it's a very basic form of additive.

You got 3 oscillators, where at least 2 of them can do sine (I don't remember if osc 3 does it). Take that times 8 with the unison engine and you got at least 16 partials if you tune each oscillator accordingly.

I know it's nowhere near what i.e. Alchemy does but hey, it's still additive... :)

what dune2 can't do is additive Resynthesis.
:borg:

eXode wrote:
Kriminal wrote:
4damind wrote:Dune2 has all of this features.
Really? Wheres the additive part in dune2?
I would say that Dune 2 does additive, even if it's a very basic form of additive.

You got 3 oscillators, where at least 2 of them can do sine (I don't remember if osc 3 does it). Take that times 8 with the unison engine and you got at least 16 partials if you tune each oscillator accordingly.

I know it's nowhere near what i.e. Alchemy does but hey, it's still additive... :)
I agree, i have done that with a few patches taht i had submitted for the factory presets of DUNE 1.

Not directly but with waveforms/wavetables done in Audio Term you could do additive sounds using the waveform editor in Audio Term where you could edit the partials.
Basically using the sample resynthesis of Audio Term is more or less additive too.

Ingo
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

However, speaking strictly from a features viewpoint, I fail to see how Blue II, Massive, and Electra 2 can "meet the criteria" when Dune 2 doesn't...

Really, the only Desert island synth I'd get is Reaktor.(along with Sylenth1) All bases are covered.

RLSguitar wrote:Hello fellow KVRers,

List of Most Comprehensive SoftSynths to Date

- KV331 Audio SynthMaster
- u-he Zebra
- Camel Audio Alchemy
- Tone2 Electra2
- Rob Papen Blue II
- Native Instruments Massive
- Native Instruments Reaktor
- Spectrasonics Omnisphere

Suggested in posts that meet criteria:
- Dmitry Sches Diversion
- Image Line Harmor (no FM?)
- LinPlug Spectral
- Native Instruments Absynth
- Tone2 Gladiator 2

Others mentioned in posts that don't meet criteria:
- Native Instruments Kontakt (mostly a sampler)
- u-he Diva (mostly VA)
- Synapse Audio Dune 2 (no additive)
- Ableton Analog (mostly VA for Live only?)
- Ableton Operator (for Live only?)
- Cakewalk Z3ta+2 (slow updates/bug fixes)
- Cakewalk Rapture (slow updates/bug fixes)
- Virsyn Tera (slow updates)
I've experienced two of the companies in the first list that have earned more of a place on the third list for me. I equate the dealings with them to driving on a brand new tire with a thread bearing bald spot.
To keep your thread from derailing though, I won't name them specifically.

I don't think Massive quite belongs in that list...

I'm mostly a preset guy too. I invested in all but the latest couple of Camel sound libraries for it, and there is one huge collections of sounds there. I've found many presets that appeal to me personally, but For me, Cubase projects with Alchemy in them take over 20 seconds to load, even with all of my sample libraries, etc. on a kickin' new SSD.

Yes, DIVA doesn't do it all, but I was actually surprised that I fell in love with it immediately once I tried it. It's worth a consideration if only for Analog. I'm sure Sylenth is great too, but I don't own it.

Also, if you find yourself wanting thick, classic analog sounds, ACE is not too bad. Again, I was surprised to have started using it a lot, with the patches fitting well with what I'm into lately. Your mileage could vary. It is a great way to learn subtractive synthesis. Bazille will probably fit that bill too, although it will take some time for the factory preset list to grow. I love the stuff that Howard Scar and Michael Kastrup did for DIVA, so I look forward to seeing what appears.

Some are not fans of Omnisphere, but I think it's simply loaded with great sounds. If you add Trilian later, those sounds are also accessible in Omnisphere. JMTC. :D
In rotation here: Hammock- Stranded Under Endless Sky

..oh, one more...ZETA+2 has been solid and reliable for me. Some of the presets can be a bit abrasive, like perhaps an SH 101. There are a wide variety there though, and it's pretty easy to tweak parameters on with just a short learning curve. I got rapture for like $5 with an electronic copy of CM. I'm not as impressed, but I haven't given it a fair shake yet. It seems a bit dated, to say the least, but I know very little about it.
Bear in mind, I'm a low post count hobbyist. :tu:
In rotation here: Hammock- Stranded Under Endless Sky

BBFG# wrote:
RLSguitar wrote:
BBFG# wrote:It can be quite dependent on the sounds that appeal to you and the styles of music you do as much as the other points you have listed...
If forced to classify the music I create, I would categorize it as progressive ambient rock. However, I rather call it "alpha music" for stimulating your alpha brain waves, so being non genre-specific. :wink:
8) I could even aspire to that!

Ours seems to be tailored much by my old leanings in 70's prog rock and 70's jazz fusion along with my wife's new age styles, while trying to let some of the newer stuff of world and minor trip hop influence without taking over.

I really suggest you check out the Gladiator too then for your list.
Tone2 has assuaged the GAS in a way of me not wanting or needing Blue II or Omnisphere and has even pushed Synthmaster to a much less used synth for me.

I've installed a new SSD this weekend and looking at my 'short list' of what I need up and running first, it came down to Alchemy; Zebra; Gladiator and Komplete/Maschine. (and my short list for Komplete is Kontakt; Absynth; Reaktor; Battery.)

Something else I hadn't thought about though, is that U-He and Tone2 synths run from the secondary drive without needing to re-install them to set a registry key first.
Right on, brother! :tu:
Robert Len Stallard
True to the music...

www.RLSguitar.com
KVR Seller/Buyer Feedback

C-note wrote:Really, the only Desert island synth I'd get is Reaktor.(along with Sylenth1) All bases are covered.
:lol: Sylenth1 is an awesome-sounding synth, on of the best virtual VAs. Hope they updated it soon.
Robert Len Stallard
True to the music...

www.RLSguitar.com

Thanks so much for your posts. I've updated the list per your suggestions (see quoted text below). Please let's keep this going and help me especially with the ones that are in debate whether to include or not.

Also, I forgot to mention spectral and granular synthesis methods to consider in the criteria. Perhaps their isn't one single synth that covers all synthesis methods? If so, should we consider two or maybe three synths for the desert island that cover all synthesis methods? Which ones would these be?
RLSguitar wrote:...
List of Most Comprehensive SoftSynths to Date
This list is in alphabetical order and being updated per posts and discussions.

- Camel Audio Alchemy
- Dmitry Sches Diversion
- Image Line Sytrus
- KV331 Audio SynthMaster
- LinPlug Spectral
- Native Instruments Absynth
- Native Instruments Reaktor
- Spectrasonics Omnisphere
- Tone2 Gladiator 2
- u-he Zebra

In debate whether to include or not in list
- Cakewalk Z3ta+2 (slow updates, buggy for some?)
- Image Line Harmor (no FM?)
- Native Instruments Massive
- Rob Papen Blue II
- Synapse Audio Dune 2
- Tone2 Electra2
- u-he Bazille (modular hybrid digital/analog - need more info)
- Vember Audio Surge (no additive?)

Others mentioned in posts that don't meet criteria:
- Ableton Analog (mostly VA for Live only?)
- Ableton Operator (for Live only?)
- Cakewalk Rapture (slow updates, buggy for some)
- Lennar Digital Sylenth1 (mostly VA, slow update)
- Native Instruments Kontakt (mostly a sampler)
- u-he ACE (mostly modular VA)
- u-he Diva (mostly VA, but a great synth)
- Virsyn Tera (slow updates, limited FX)
Robert Len Stallard
True to the music...

www.RLSguitar.com

fxpansion DCAM Synth Squad - combined they match the criteria

Amaranth Audio Cycle should be mentioned too:

- unique synthesis method

- great presets

- great sound!

Well I've owned quite a few and sold quite a few. Anyone who has followed my purchases in the past few years on KVR probably know that I've tested more than my fair share of stuff. After a ton of crazy testing and what not I finally settled on a setup that covers everything i could ask for.

The ones I'm finally happy with are Zebra2, Bazille, Reaktor, Massive & synthsquad. The only others I want to add to my list are Kaivo, Aalto & probably Serum when it hits.

I can't think of any other reason to own anything else, because with this setup i can put together many instances of the aforementioned synthesizers and it barely makes my laptop even sweat @ 96khz.

Kaivo is probably the only one that uses ridiculous amounts of CPU, however the developer has mentioned that he is going to update it with multi-core processing support in the near future.
:borg:

A synth shouldn't try to be comprehensive. Jack of all trades, master of none? If I want access to pretty much every type of sound design ever done, I'd just buy Reaktor for synthesis and Kontakt for everything else.

Of course, the biggies that usually make these lists [Omni, Trilian, Absynth, FM8, Massive, Diversion, Spire, Sylenth, Dune, Synthmaster, Zebra, ACE, Diva etc] are well established nowadays. All good choices, but not necessarily feature rich or comprehensive.
11, 418th in line to the KVR throne

Return to “Instruments”