Korg gadget...meh

For iOS (iPhone, iPad & iPod), Android, Windows Phone, etc. App and Hardware talk
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Gadget

Been playing around gadget for a while now. I can see how this can be an amazing app in some respects.

I have been a very big fan of Korg technology especially their MMT modeling from Radias/R3 and may other iterations since.

While the actual sound of the gadgets are indeed of high quality, some limitations (ex: mod destinations) on some gadgets is leaving me asking for more.

I was hoping that gadget would allow me to depart from PC based composition but it's a long start.

Is anyone finding gadget allowing to make the professional ranks in any way?

I listened to gadget cloud compositions. Again, the sound quality is remarkable although most of them are really cheesy, probably due to the minimal manipulations capabilities (similar to older onboard sequencers).

I will most probably head back to PC composition unfortunately.

P.S. : is the experience more rewarding with Ipolysix or IMS20 out of curiosity?

Thanks!!

If you miss modulation options (i.e every parameter more or less) take a look at Caustic 3 that Korg Gadget gets compared with
but having some more interesting possibilities and people actually do full good productions on.
There is a free version that do not have save enabled but allows you to try it out fully plus a PC version for free with no limitations.
Every man and every woman is a star.

http://www.musicalandroid.com/

I've only used it to play around on. For me, deep modulations and manipulations of sound are part of the arrangement process, so mostly I'm using Gadget to just play around when I get a spare moment and I'm not at my computer. I was never really expecting the tablet composition experience to replace PC DAW usage - it's all just too fiddly when you're trying to do complex stuff. Though in fairness it's about as good as it can be.
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

yul wrote:Been playing around gadget for a while now. I can see how this can be an amazing app in some respects.

I have been a very big fan of Korg technology especially their MMT modeling from Radias/R3 and may other iterations since.

While the actual sound of the gadgets are indeed of high quality, some limitations (ex: mod destinations) on some gadgets is leaving me asking for more.

I was hoping that gadget would allow me to depart from PC based composition but it's a long start.

Is anyone finding gadget allowing to make the professional ranks in any way?

I listened to gadget cloud compositions. Again, the sound quality is remarkable although most of them are really cheesy, probably due to the minimal manipulations capabilities (similar to older onboard sequencers).

I will most probably head back to PC composition unfortunately.

P.S. : is the experience more rewarding with Ipolysix or IMS20 out of curiosity?

Thanks!!
I think 'gadget' is quite descriptive. It seems to be a great sketchpad, although some are clearly getting great results.

I am actually really fond of ipolysix. It's the first synth i have ever made sounds for. In terms of sequencing, it's very limited. Doesn't stop some people getting fantastic results though.
http://iamsinkingfeeling.tumblr.com. These polysix sessions are excellent

I am not sure it is necessary to got to extremes. Why do you have to be exclusive to either pc or ipad ?? In that way, you are not playing to the strengths of either. That's not to say that you can't go ipad completely, but if you do then maybe not look to just one app to do it all. Just like a traditional computer setup, what you use to record audio and mix might be supplemented by a whole list of 3rd party synths, drum machines and creation tools. The ipad is no different. Choose a daw, grab audiobus, and build up a library of apps to act as soundsources and composition tools.

Computers are going to be a better option for mixing etc, but to be exclusively pc is to miss out on some really inspiring tools, that play tot he strengths of a touch interface

+1 for Caustic

Isn't Caustic of lesser sound quality in terms of aliasing,filters etc?

I wish the VST version of Polysix would get the upgrades they gave the iOS version. Namely: a triangle wave selection for the oscillator and a highpass filter mode.
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

Korg Gadget has some wonderful sounds and a nice although a bit acquired tasted workflow. As a standalone 'DAW' I find it limited but with Audiobus you can route it to whichever DAW you prefer.
Win8.1 64x/Live 9/Steinberg UR44/Roland HP 235/Edirol PCR-800/Eastman AC222/Washburn D12/Ch. Les Paul/Behringer BCF2000 & BCR2000/Korg Nanopad 2/Focusrite VRM Box/AT 2020/2xB5/E825s/Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250/Tannoy 502

yul wrote:Isn't Caustic of lesser sound quality in terms of aliasing,filters etc?
There is a full free version for PC and one for mobile devices without saving...
Easy to try if it is of high enough quality.
Every man and every woman is a star.

http://www.musicalandroid.com/

Fyi At the moment Im downloading a new upgrade that has just been released including:
-two new gadgets via in-app purchase
-a new export format dedicated for ableton live;

T

a bit more than that was added as well

-Native 64bit support, engine re-optimized in assembly
-additional single track export options
-midi sync, gadget parameters can now be midi controlled as well
-LANDSCAPE MODE

new gadgets are
-abu dhabi dynamic loop slicer
-bilbao - lightning sample player

http://www.korg.com/us/products/softwar ... page_3.php

Gave the ableton export a quick try with a tiny project I had, simple but works. Exports an entire project for you with the tempo set and everything laid out in the same scenes you had on gadget. Each track exported to audio with tempo set and what not. Then you can play away

Amazing update, here's hoping ikaossilator adds midi sync too :-)

i'll quote myself from the other thread (holla for a thread-merge :) )

really enjoying this update. i had hoped that landscape mode would have meant that the gadgets would be larger, allowing for a comfortable keyboard experience when using the screen. oh well, at leas i can now use it more comfortably in the dock with the external 'board

the two new gadgets are very cool. i can see it being impossible to resist them as they arrive. wish the sampler had more plat options other than one-shot, and that the slicer's arp function allowed for random playback. will submit these as requests

ezelkow1 wrote:a bit more than that was added as well

-Native 64bit support, engine re-optimized in assembly
-additional single track export options
-midi sync, gadget parameters can now be midi controlled as well
-LANDSCAPE MODE

new gadgets are
-abu dhabi dynamic loop slicer
-bilbao - lightning sample player

http://www.korg.com/us/products/softwar ... page_3.php

Gave the ableton export a quick try with a tiny project I had, simple but works. Exports an entire project for you with the tempo set and everything laid out in the same scenes you had on gadget. Each track exported to audio with tempo set and what not. Then you can play away
Landscape mode has been long requested, however unfortunately it doesn't make the synths any bigger, which was my main reason for wanting it (despite screenshots on their site that appear to imply they can be full screen in landscape).

It would be cool if the other Korg synths and fx could be accessed as plugins inside of the Gadget environment.

aMUSEd wrote:It would be cool if the other Korg synths and fx could be accessed as plugins inside of the Gadget environment.
Closest thing to it now would be a custom Lemur template. I'm actually surprised there isn't one yet since it's userbase is quite active with numerous templates combining different iOS apps.
Win8.1 64x/Live 9/Steinberg UR44/Roland HP 235/Edirol PCR-800/Eastman AC222/Washburn D12/Ch. Les Paul/Behringer BCF2000 & BCR2000/Korg Nanopad 2/Focusrite VRM Box/AT 2020/2xB5/E825s/Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250/Tannoy 502

Return to “Mobile Apps and Hardware”