Fabfilter Pro-Q 2!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Pro-Q 3

Gamma-UT wrote:
They do sound subtly different on the right material, although the analogue/natural phase approach may not be as good on transient-heavy material as standard minimum phase.
Is that an observation or an assumption? Natural phase mode doesn't pre-ring like linear phase modes can, and I have yet to notice any adverse effect on transients..

IIRs wrote:
Gamma-UT wrote:
They do sound subtly different on the right material, although the analogue/natural phase approach may not be as good on transient-heavy material as standard minimum phase.
Is that an observation or an assumption? Natural phase mode doesn't pre-ring like linear phase modes can, and I have yet to notice any adverse effect on transients..
So far, assumption based on the characteristics of some hardware EQs and some emulations. I wouldn't expect natural phase to pre-ring in any case.

As a owner of the Pro-Q 1 I've used the Pro-Q 2 demo now few days - I have to say that I consider carefully how the spend my euros: what are the feature which really give me added value.
Today Melda "maddnes" announced MAutoDynamicEq for 49 euros which is about the same amount I would pay for the Pro-Q 2 update. Of course these products are different, but that's my point - do I need e.g. the linear phase mode more than the dynamic side-chain? Pro-Q 2 is beautiful but one of the most waited update feature, scalable size was at least to me a small dissapointment, full screen mode for those who use just one screen and operate using mouse is not most practical, and the two other plugin sizes are both too small (or the difference to the Pro-Q 1 is not very big, to me).
Harry

Harry_HH wrote:Pro-Q 2 is beautiful but one of the most waited update feature, scalable size was at least to me a small dissapointment, full screen mode for those who use just one screen and operate using mouse is not most practical, and the two other plugin sizes are both too small (or the difference to the Pro-Q 1 is not very big, to me).Harry
Pro-Q2's GUI size is steplessly variable like any normal program window (at least on windows). ;)

I'm like you, Harry - discriminating about what I spend my money on and demanding a significant benefit when I do upgrade. I, too, am a longtime Pro-Q user and FabFilter fan. And with my discounts I can get Q2 for fifty bucks.

But over the past year, Pro-Q has gradually relinquished its title as my go-to EQ to MDynamicEQ. It's efficient, sounds good and I have the option of going dynamic on one or more of the bands if needed. It doesn't have Pro-Q's brilliant ergonomics, but once you get used to the Melda way of thinking, MDynamicEQ is just as fast to dial in. Sometimes the sonogram makes it even faster.

So like you, I'm hesitating on the Q2 upgrade. I'm afraid it would be just my luck that as soon as I bought it, they'd announce the long-anticipated Pro-C2 and my penny jar would already be empty.

Harry_HH wrote:As a owner of the Pro-Q 1 I've used the Pro-Q 2 demo now few days - I have to say that I consider carefully how the spend my euros: what are the feature which really give me added value.
Today Melda "maddnes" announced MAutoDynamicEq for 49 euros which is about the same amount I would pay for the Pro-Q 2 update. Of course these products are different, but that's my point - do I need e.g. the linear phase mode more than the dynamic side-chain? Pro-Q 2 is beautiful but one of the most waited update feature, scalable size was at least to me a small dissapointment, full screen mode for those who use just one screen and operate using mouse is not most practical, and the two other plugin sizes are both too small (or the difference to the Pro-Q 1 is not very big, to me).
Harry
MAutoDynamicEq is a fantastic piece of software, but if you need more than 7 static or dynamic bands/nodes you're stuck, so I wouldn't say either or concerning Melda/Pro-Q. Also setting up the shapes/curves etc. works faster in Pro-Q than it does in the MAutoDyn. I like combining both, for dynamic equing it can't get much better imo, definitly better than the Sonalksis EQ1/DQ1 which were my gotos before I got the Melda one.

Rat 41 wrote:
Harry_HH wrote:Pro-Q 2 is beautiful but one of the most waited update feature, scalable size was at least to me a small dissapointment, full screen mode for those who use just one screen and operate using mouse is not most practical, and the two other plugin sizes are both too small (or the difference to the Pro-Q 1 is not very big, to me).Harry
Pro-Q2's GUI size is steplessly variable like any normal program window (at least on windows). ;)
This is interesting: in my 32 bit Live/Win 8 the Pro-Q 2 GUI is not steplessly variable - bottom right corner opens 2 interface size options (small and medium), large and extra large are nonactive options (grey), and then upper right symbol gives the full screen option. H.

Harry_HH wrote:This is interesting: in my 32 bit Live/Win 8 the Pro-Q 2 GUI is not steplessly variable - bottom right corner opens 2 interface size options (small and medium), large and extra large are nonactive options (grey), and then upper right symbol gives the full screen option. H.
Here it's x64 Cubase 6/Win7 and I use the VST3 version. I guess that this could be a Live related issue since each DAW handles GUI resizing differently. Why not contacting FabFilter? I'm sure they're interested in this. ;)

Live 64bit on OS X only gives the four options for me. But in Cubase I get the ability to resize dynamically as well as the four options.

Wait, I'm confused about the "upgrade price" people have been paying.

I received the email from Fabfilter several days ago and they automatically upgraded Pro Q to version 2 for free for me.

Is it based on a grace period, or on how many fabfilter products you own, or both?

I cannot freely re-size the interface on Reaper (x64) either. Only the predefined options are available.

HydrogenHuman wrote:Wait, I'm confused about the "upgrade price" people have been paying.

I received the email from Fabfilter several days ago and they automatically upgraded Pro Q to version 2 for free for me.

Is it based on a grace period, or on how many fabfilter products you own, or both?
Both.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

50% CPU usage on an already light VST. Sold.

+ added sexiness: sold sold sold.

Mushy Mushy wrote:50% CPU usage on an already light VST. Sold.

Have you really already sold yours?

Harry_HH wrote:
Mushy Mushy wrote:50% CPU usage on an already light VST. Sold.

Have you really already sold yours?
?

ProQ1 still have and adore.

Curious about your qn.

Return to “Effects”