Synth1 skin

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

MarlaPodolski wrote:Well, it is the attitude more than the comment that caught my attention.

The facts are plainly that, although it may not be as 'pretty' as something from FabFilter or u-he, the GUI of the Synth1 is extremely functional and practical. Next, there have been numerous threads about Synth1 here and on many other forums. Based on the very many I've seen, a few have commented that it is not the world's greates GUI, and some do wish it could be modernised, but MOST do find it far, far less than "horrid."

I think the ultimate issue here with the post in question is a serious lack of knowledge on the subject of softsynths in general and their GUIs, whether free or not. For looks and especially performance / sound, Synth1 has kicked the butts of many commercial synths. Still does, actually. And if someone doesn't like the available presets offered, there's nothing stopping from designing better ones ... if you know how to do this.

The attitude is coming from your side only. Again: make the difference between someone stating a personal opinion and complaining/having an attitude/whatever. And understand it's ok that some ppl see things differently.

What does "ugly" has to do with "functional and practical"?

On a different note, I find all that argument about the lack of knowledge regarding GUIs quite funny :) If you know what I mean.
TELURICA - "Made In ___ [INSERT LOCATION]" - EP.
Available now on Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/telurica/sets/ma ... t-location

idfpower wrote:
MarlaPodolski wrote:You're complaining about something someone has spent many hours perfecting and then offers for FREE? Great, don't use it. (P.S. Most of us don't think it's anywhere near 'horrid'.)

See my post above. Have a look at that and note it costs real money.

First: just because it's free, doesn't mean ppl have no right to "complain". FYI I wasn't complaining, I was stating my opinion - there's a difference.

Second: even when it comes to freeware, pointing out possible issues from a user point of view may help the developer notice aspects that for him may not be obvious.

Third: replace "most of us" with "some of us" and you'll get closer to the reality; the GUI has been one of the main improvement suggestions since ages.

Next time before jumping like that take a moment to understand that ppl are free to post their opinions on forums - just as much as you do. They're called forums for a reason, you know...
Totally agree.

Nobody disrespect the efforts made by the developers to make their GUI's.

Simply, as idfpower said, it's permitted to say that there are problems in the conception and in the design of these GUI's.

It's permitted also to say that many GUI's are made exclusively for persons having a good eyesight (and sometimes even exclusively for persons having an EXCELLENT eyesight) with absolutely not the least consideration for those who have a severe visual impairment.

And all that has absolutely nothing to do with the cost of the product.
Last edited by BlackWinny on Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

Is Flavors of Lime still around? Is anyone interested in making a GUI if he accepts?

I was hoping you boys would catch my hint and go back, read up on some of the classic synth's history, some of the many threads and discussions, and then perhaps you might understand why it looks and operates the way it does.

Instead, you immediately went off into some sort of defense mode, read into my response things I didn't say, accuse or even suggest, and spent quite many words in some odd attempt to justify your behaviour. No pun intended, but perhaps you're a bit thin-skinned yourselves?

Good luck reaching Mr. Toda. He sometimes has an assistant who handles his mail for important matters. I believe, if you know how to check, you'll find that Synth1 is locked from attempts to alter its GUI anyway.

It's the definitive classic freeware synth of all time. Any synth having more than 10k presets made for it is bound to have many that sound about the same and, believe it or not, there are also reasons it looks the way it does. Untold numbers of people have an awful lot of respect for the synth and its creator. Consider: maybe this synth just isn't for you and you might find one that is easier to deal with.

MarlaPodolski wrote: I believe, if you know how to check, you'll find that Synth1 is locked from attempts to alter its GUI anyway.
Zorniko made a skin edit for Synth 1. Changed the font and other things as well. I can't find a screenshot of it now but it wasn't very pretty and he had to hack the .dll to do it.

I don't mind Synth 1's GUI but I wouldn't mind some fresh alternatives either. The trouble being that it's resizable which means you can't just drop any old background.bmp in to it....... :?
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Teksonik wrote:
MarlaPodolski wrote: I believe, if you know how to check, you'll find that Synth1 is locked from attempts to alter its GUI anyway.
Zorniko made a skin edit for Synth 1. Changed the font and other things as well. I can't find a screenshot of it now but it wasn't very pretty and he had to hack the .dll to do it.

I don't mind Synth 1's GUI but I wouldn't mind some fresh alternatives either. The trouble being that it's resizable which means you can't just drop any old background.bmp in to it....... :?
He only changed the font this is no skin edit. As pointed out you can't easily do a skin for it. I think not using this excellent Freeware because of the GUI is somehow funny for most musicians.
║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█

MarlaPodolski wrote:I was hoping you boys would catch my hint and go back, read up on some of the classic synth's history, some of the many threads and discussions, and then perhaps you might understand why it looks and operates the way it does.

Instead, you immediately went off into some sort of defense mode, read into my response things I didn't say, accuse or even suggest, and spent quite many words in some odd attempt to justify your behaviour. No pun intended, but perhaps you're a bit thin-skinned yourselves?

Good luck reaching Mr. Toda. He sometimes has an assistant who handles his mail for important matters. I believe, if you know how to check, you'll find that Synth1 is locked from attempts to alter its GUI anyway.

It's the definitive classic freeware synth of all time. Any synth having more than 10k presets made for it is bound to have many that sound about the same and, believe it or not, there are also reasons it looks the way it does. Untold numbers of people have an awful lot of respect for the synth and its creator. Consider: maybe this synth just isn't for you and you might find one that is easier to deal with.
This is getting ridiculous... but for the record:

Stop lecturing ppl, ok? Saying one likes/dislikes a certain colour scheme of a GUI has NOTHING TO DO with synth history; not even with that plugin's behaviour & way of working. Nobody said Synth1 is a bad synth, that it lacks this or that - we were commenting strictly on the looks. Some ppl like rat rods, others like pretty painted cars - there's nothing wrong with either choice - it's a PERSONAL preference. Getting attacked simply 'cause you think a plugin is ugly is ludicrous.

Saying that you don't like the layout of a plugin doesn't mean you disrespect the developer, for crying out loud. You mix things on purpose in an ill-intentioned manner.

Consider: stop lashing out and accept others might have a different opinion. I haven't criticised you for stating your (subjective) point of view about Synth1 - why do you?
Available now on Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/telurica/sets/ma ... t-location

valerian_777 wrote:
Teksonik wrote:

He only changed the font this is no skin edit. As pointed out you can't easily do a skin for it. I think not using this excellent Freeware because of the GUI is somehow funny for most musicians.
By definition any change is an edit. I never said I don't use Synth 1 because of the GUI. I said I don't mind the GUI but wouldn't mind some fresh alternatives. Of course that would require Ichiro to make some changes to the code to allow others to make full skins or make the GUI changes himself.

Someone made this mockup. Don't know if it works or not.......

Last edited by Teksonik on Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Teksonik wrote: Of course that would require Ichiro to make some changes to the code to allow others to make full skins or make the GUI changes himself.
I don't think it's "some changes". I guess it would be a massive change in the code. :wink:

The GUI is fine.
I'd just like to see 64bit AU version :wink:

Chris-S wrote:
Teksonik wrote: Of course that would require Ichiro to make some changes to the code to allow others to make full skins or make the GUI changes himself.
I don't think it's "some changes". I guess it would be a massive change in the code. :wink:
You could guess all day. Only Ichiro would know. Like I sad the fact that the GUI is resizable makes skinning more difficult than for static sized plugins.

But I'd rather he work on Synth 2........... :wink:

Synth1 is still one of my go-to synths, even if just for some subtle filler. I give full respect to Ichiro for creating such a great piece of freeware, even more so for having never asked for a donation. Nevertheless it is far from aesthetically pleasing, especially on modern HD screens. Some might say that they like the way it looks but I'm sure a better GUI would be welcomed by most. Its not like there aren't people willing to re-skin it for free either.

valerian_777 wrote:
Teksonik wrote:

There is another reason, for which I struggle in permanence in the domain of the VSTI's: the readability for the persons having a severe visual impairment. Alas very few developers understand that their GUI are definitively crippling for many people having a severe visual impairment.

I love Synth1. But to use it is a mess for me. Like for many other users having these severe visual impairments.
Last edited by BlackWinny on Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

BlackWinny wrote: There is another reason, for which I struggle in permanence in the domain of the VSTI's: the readability for the bad viewers. Alas very few developers understand that their GUI are definitively crippling for many people having a bad view.
You're right - and the reason is precisely the one you've mentioned earlier: it simply does not occur to ppl with (fairly) good view that others might be struggling with certain skins. It happened to me as well when doing the Zebralette skin: I love red - but someone pointed it's impossible to use it if you're colour blind...at first I thought he was joking... just to realise later on he was actually serious (much to my shame) - so I also did the gun-blue version :( It simply didn't occur to me that there might be such a posibility because I didn't have that particular condition. So...IMO the best way is to contact the developer and explain the issue to him. Of course having a skinnable plugin by default would help and simplify things a lot, but still, I'm sure most of them would pay attention to such issues if ppl would only point them out ;)

BlackWinny wrote:Like for many other users having a bad view.
Like BW, I have a "bad view" (poor eyesight). I should spend my money on new bi-focal eyeglasses rather than more synths, hardware and vst!

That said, I would love to have synth1 re-skinned. New specs wouldn't help. I have no nostalgia for early 80s graphics.

:wink:
바보

Return to “Instruments”