what size SSD for DAW size on disc

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Still, if this is true - why is write lifecycle of an SSD such an important factor in reviews - even for the consumer market and by just about every serious and crictial/no-nonsense website out there?
My guess is because the failure time is 'supposedly' more predictable than with traditional HDDs due to each drive being rated for a finite number of write/erase cycles. The notion that we've gone beyond the era of plug and pray and and that you've got a perfectly predictable piece of equipment whose life you can actively prolong is very appealing when compared to the seemingly random failure of HDDs. Although, you could make your HDD last far longer if you made sure to use it as little as possible too. Tech websites never advised that! I'd consider 5 years a good run for an HDD, while people are worried that their 256GB TLC NAND (the cheapest type available) SSD is only rated for 1000 W/E cycles, equivalent to about 20 years at 10GB of writes per day? Factors like write amplification and other electronic failures will bring this figure down, but it gives you an idea. Search the internet for SSD failure. You'll almost entirely find articles about the possibility of SSD failure rather than people who've had SSDs fail.

Paranoia about SSD longetivity is largely where I see the odd bit of bunk advice being given (as I mentioned earlier). There's this whole thing about avoiding small writes as much as possible, but small random writes are exactly the kind of thing that SSD is very good at. The software that most SSDs come with typically indicates the health of your drive in very fine detail (wear levelling count, W/E cycles, error counts etc) so the more paranoid among us are well served. My advice? Use your SSD. It's probably going to at least match the lifetime of any HDD you've owned. Back up regularly. If it breaks, buy another one.

A related question to cron's post above....more specifically to the part of "There's this whole thing about avoiding small writes as much as possible".

I built my new rig this past Friday (i7-4790, 32GB RAM, W8.1) and installed the EVO 256 as my OS drive. The HDD LED flashes about every second, which indicates to me the drive is being accessed. I cannot determine if it is being written to but I assume so.

This is of concern to me due to the "small write" issue.

I have set my drives to never sleep as an audio production tweak. I have 3 drives in this system, the SSD, a 2TB WD Black and a 500GB WD Blue Caviar.

Additionally, I have set the computer high performance, never sleep, monitor to sleep after 10 minutes (which doesn't actually work for some reason - I think due to Input Director on a 3 computer system), and never hibernate. I generally leave my rigs run 24/7 with an occassional restart to clear memory or hanging software.

Should I be concerned about this intermittent, frequent LED display?

I don't mean to sound paranoid but since writing to an SSD is limited I don't want to have to replace the SSD prematurely if I can solve the problem easily - if it is a problem at all. I have never had to replace an HDD due to over use (wear-out). I have had a couple crash due to unexpected power outages.

Any insight is much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Happy Musiking!
dsan
My DAW System:
W7, i5, x64, 8Gb Ram, Edirol FA-101

Are you talking about on the case it flashes? I don't have my ssd visible so I'm not aware of anything flashing.

Yes hibidy, on the case. It also acts as a reset button below the power on button.

There are no indicators on the actual drive.

Thanks!

Happy Musiking!
dsan
My DAW System:

mine flashes. it's not all the time but I don't know if that is the C drive or the E drive or both. You did install the samsung magician and have that running, right?

It is the CD-ROM drive causing the problem. Windows is polling the drive every second to see if a CD has been placed in.

Disabling it cause the LED to stop flashing. Wooohooo......but to be able to use it I'll have to enable it again.

So since that is the casue I'm confident it will not harm anything to be enabled and just live with the flashing LED.

I'll be installing Magician some time soon. Haven't yet.

Thanks hibidy! :tu:

Happy Musiking!
dsan
My DAW System:

Spiritos wrote:@DevonB - Can't argue with those numbers..

Still, if this is true - why is write lifecycle of an SSD such an important factor in reviews - even for the consumer market and by just about every serious and crictial/no-nonsense website out there?

Now I'm not saying you are wrong as your logic seems correct, I'm just curious.
Yes, the facts are the facts on my machine. YMMV as always. Mine is at least empirical evidence of real world usage. Got to remember, computer nerds, like myself, obsess about the details and the what-if's. However, I prefer to get real world data to see if it's even worth obsessing about. Sometimes that takes time. Sometimes that takes months, if not years. While SSD's are not 'new' in the market, and not really even 'new' in the mainstream with Apple starting to use them in 2009 if I recall? It's still going to take time to get the "collective consensus" that they are going to last a long time based on wear leveling metrics. I think I was averaging 23GB day of writes at the point I calculated. The articles I was reading was considering 50GiB a day, so basically double the load. At least on the articles I was reading where they test the durability, the drive gave many early warnings about wear level failure. Of course, if the controller on the drive dies, it doesn't matter how much wear leveling is left, so keep that in mind too. Just make sure to keep on SMART statistics reporting and you should be fine for a long time. Just heed the warnings and take appropriate action.

Devon
Last edited by DevonB on Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Simple music philosophy - Those who can, make music. Those who can't, make excuses.
Read my VST reviews at Traxmusic!

Our Windows Netbooks sported SSDs in 2008 and I suspect they were available for all systems prior to that
(for the geek-nerd on the edge of tech-trends).
Of course, they were cost-prohibitive in matters of size and nowhere near the same abilities in management.
What we are seeing now, is a transition in the market with better management techniques and much lower prices.
A trend which should continue and hopefully drop the price on the larger 1TB sizes in our not too distant future.
(BTW, our little 64gb SSDs are still running fine in the netbooks and have had quite a few format and reloads of the OSs.
(Which now run Linux Ubuntu Studio).

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”