Virus warning on MDrummer installer

Official support for: meldaproduction.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi Vojtech,
trying to run the MDrummer update installer for version 5, but my GData Internet security is giving me a virus warning (Gen:Variant.Symmi.10581).
As I downloaded from your site, I am sure that this is a false positive, but the damn Internet security blocks the installer and moves it to quarantine. Deactivating it completely is not possible as far as I know, I can only deactivate the real-time protection (with an active real-time protection it already blocks the start of the setup-windows.exe).
Any idea what I can do?
I am on Windows 7, by the way, have the paid free bundle and the creative bundle plus a few single plugins and am running them all without any problems.
Greetings from Germany, Max

Hi Mac,

I'm afraid there's not much we can do. It's a malfunctioning antivirus, most of them understand the executables these days, but sometimes a piece of junk like this appears. You need to find a way to disable it I'm afraid. Anyway I reuploaded the installer archive, so please try this one, maybe the antivirus won't be messed up this time:

http://www.meldaproduction.com/download ... _setup.zip
Vojtech
MeldaProduction MSoundFactory MDrummer MCompleteBundle The best plugins in the world :D

Come on Melda ... seriously?!

You've got to:
a. Fix it
or
b. Provide a suitable explanation

I have received the same virus warning ('quarantined') from 'mfreeeffectsbundle64_8_02' today when I downloaded to check out MAnalyzer. I do own purchased MVocoder (no problem). I use BitDefender as my Security Suite - reputable by all accounts.

Calling something a "piece of junk" does not address the issue.

Does it do something that might be considered logging keys(even if not so)? Perhaps you can work with BitDefender to establish what's causing it and/or to get it on a "white list".

I suggest it's in your best interest as many customers will just turn away if security concerns are being flagged.

Yeah, Bitdefender is very reputable. Except when it flags every Windows file as a virus and destroys every customer's installation. I guess it was Microsoft's fault too. (G-Data still uses the Bitdender engine, if I'm not mistaken).

Every antivirus flags music applications as malware from time to time, you cannot escape from that. They simply don't know anything about them as there are few people using plugins and things like that. If they happen to be encrypted with a tool that has recently being used by a virus to fool scanners the antivirus simply flags it and waits for false positive reports. They call this 'Cloud Intelligence' and things like that, lol.
"A pig that doesn't fly is just a pig."

standalone wrote:... Except when it flags every Windows file as a virus and destroys every customer's installation.
I've not experienced that in 4 years of service on my computers. Fingers crossed I'm not next.
standalone wrote:... They simply don't know anything about them as there are few people using plugins and things like that ...
Well, I don't know all the in and outs of how av tools determine 'positives', but I didn't think it was based on how many people use a file(?) but rather interrogating the file internally for signs of known issues or patterns of suspicious behavior.

This is the first of ~300 plugins on my system to throw a 'positive'.
Wouldn't it be worth Melda to spend a few hours to either proactively QC against leading av tools, or follow up to report/resolve a 'false positive' when made aware?

I'll need convincing that it's OK to simply accept that they 'happen from time to time'. I do actually believe that Melda is credible, reputable and has good products ... that's why I encourage that the issue is sorted out (- because it tarnishes those credentials).
Last edited by ShellstaX on Sat May 31, 2014 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

ShellstaX: Here's the thing - antiviruses want to look "important" and definitely want to avoid any infection. So they do heuristics, which is nothing than code guessing. And in some cases the heuristics just doesn't work... but they rather flag more files as dangerous, than just leave some infection through or even worse - than doing nothing so that the user finds out the antivirus is useless...

Our executables now use UPX - pretty standard executable packer. It decreases installer sizes, that's it.

So to your accusation that we should fix it - well, should we fix every buggy software in the universe? I don't think so... The manufacturer's should do that obviously.
Vojtech
MeldaProduction MSoundFactory MDrummer MCompleteBundle The best plugins in the world :D

ShellstaX wrote:
standalone wrote:... Except when it flags every Windows file as a virus and destroys every customer's installation.
I've not experienced that in 4 years of service on my computers. Fingers crossed I'm not next.
Seems that you missed it by days, you were lucky:

http://krebsonsecurity.com/2010/03/bad- ... ndows-pcs/

As I said, was it Microsoft's fault? Come on ...
"A pig that doesn't fly is just a pig."

Thanks for your prompt response VojTech/Melda.

I am not accusing you of anything and I am not asking that you fix every buggy software in the universe - (exaggeration perhaps?)

I am advising you of the issue and suggesting/encouraging that it might be in your interest to address your product (as I believe it may turn people away). Very few of my files come up as 'positives' and are generally just ad site cookies.

I understand that av companies may elevate their 'importance' ... but many people rely on them and believe them for making judgement about what stays on their systems.

standalone wrote: Seems that you missed it by days, you were lucky...
Ouch - that's pretty bad.
I obviously hadn't heard about that that when I switched from McAfee (on a new PC trial at the time). I had always used Kaspersky prior but BD came up pretty well in the reviews I had seen.

It's done me OK since - double fingers crossed and touch wood. Sorry to hear of your woes.

False-positives are pretty commonplace (google site:kvraudio.com false positive). All the vendor can do is report it to the anti-virus company so that they can fix the problem in their own product, which they're usually very quick to do.

If your antivirus software doesn't give you the option of exempting a particular executable, I'd call that an unacceptable weakness in the antivirus package.

I'll try to report it to these companies, but quite frankly they should check thousands of available files to provide a reasonable antivirus. Which obviously these didn't...
Vojtech

This happened to me too. I've got Norton 360 a.v. on my system. As I was downloading MAuto Dynamic EQ it flashed up a 'serious virus attack' message in bright red letters. It gave me no option other than to restart the computer to get rid of it! I tried downloading again 5 minutes later and there were absolutely no problems!!.

Well, all I can say is - update Norton, and if it will ever do that again, get rid of it as quickly as possible... These things do more trouble than good...
Vojtech

Must be hard to disable your AV one time to run a installer from a trusted source.
║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█

Return to “MeldaProduction”