Focus on a single synth

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

For starting on a synth try a simple subtractive synth first or it may be too overwhelming.
DIVA or Sylenth1 are my top choices for relatively easy starts but with BEAUTIFUL sounds.
Check out Syntorial too, its a tutorial software for learning how to use a synth.
My latest crazy track "The Quick Brown Fox sampled the Lazy Dog": http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 4&t=425647
15 Free DIVA Presets: http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 8#p5892108

massive, Zebra and all, well, good and versatile indeed, but i wouldn't say they are easy for someone to start learning about synthesis... even less Z3ta+2...

i would go more for a clean, well defined interface, like the novation V-station for exemple.
it contains all the basics that you will find at a later stage in the aforementioned plugins.
oh, try the TAL stuff as well, even the free ones... clean interface and very high quality sound.
It's not what you use, it's how you use it...

Whatever you choose to go with, just remember to not get over-awed by the amount of controls in front of you. It can be really off putting for a beginner to see a wall of controls that make no sense to you yer.

Break down each component/section. Learn exactly what those couple of knobs/sliders to and how they effect the sound, then move on.

I really wish I did that, instead I spent months aimlessly turning knobs without any direction. Learnt my lesson well though!

Welcome to an addiction. Remember to open the curtains now and again :)

This might sound odd coming from someone who spends hours and hours programming synth patches, but I have come to think that synths are overrated and used way too much. A decent rompler is much more musical and efficient than a synth in my view.

fluffy_little_something wrote:This might sound odd coming from someone who spends hours and hours programming synth patches, but I have come to think that synths are overrated and used way too much. A decent rompler is much more musical and efficient than a synth in my view.
Any particular Rompler's you like?

Sylenth can be a rompler (of sorts) given that there's so many good soundbanks out there for it. You then have a really flexible presets bank (albeit only using 'standard' waveforms, no samples or wavetable etc).

Robmobius wrote:If you want something that sounds very good and is simple I'd go with Sylenth 1.

+1
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

Not really any particular one. I guess it depends on how much you want to invest and what kind of music you make. But I am pretty sure there is an adequate rompler for any needs out there. And if it got additional synth features, you can modify the presets.

I bought Calliope a few days ago. I have not had a chance to actually use it (have to wait till October to download the Kontakt player), but I am looking forward to it. If it sounds as good as I hope it does, I will further reduce the number of synth tracks I use. Basically I will use my synth only for typical old-skool synth sounds like pads, synth brass or bubbly basses :) The rest will be all "real" instruments. I mean, even the best synth strings miss that special something real strings have. Not to mention that strings from a rompler use much less CPU than good synth strings.

pewpewjigger wrote:
I own Ableton

I think ableton native synths (Operator and analog) can be very powerfull, but I'm not very in love with the interface.
Do you own the Suite? Do you own Analog?

If so, you should really give it a chance even though you're not familiar with the interface. Trust me, it's a wonderful learning tool, sounds up-to-par with all good VAs on the market and it you will be a step closer to working with Live as an all around tool.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”