One-Synth-Challenge #67: Digits by Extent of the Jam (z.prime wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Sound Cloud's degradation is remarkable.

Winstontaneous wrote:Curious, has Lou G (Digits developer) stopped by this thread? He's a friend of a friend of mine, last time I saw him (about 5 years ago) he was working for Muse (Receptor people, KVR's sponsor) so he shouldn't be too hard to find. Maybe I'll get off me arse and make an OSC submission one of these days!
Hey! I told him about it on Twitter, not sure if he has time to show up. Doesn't Muse own KVR?

https://soundcloud.com/obsoletesun/unex ... e-dilation

KVR OSC Digits Contest

Title: Unexpected Time Dilation

Synth: Digits (x4)

DAW: FL Studio 10

only DAW Effects:
Maximus
FL Filter
FL Reverb
FL Limiter

Jared Juntunen wrote:https://soundcloud.com/jared-juntunen/j ... -yesterday

DAW: LMMS for Windows v.
:tu: :tu: that's cool, using an entirely free DAW for OSC!

Jared Juntunen wrote:Sound Cloud's degradation is remarkable.
This was discussed a bit last month :)
To get the best sound from Soundcloud, make sure you upload the highest quality file. Use .flac or .wav .. tho .flac makes smaller files. Also, make sure you have around 2dB of headroom in your uploaded file.
It really makes a HUGE difference. 8)

Has anyone figured out what causes Digits to seem to swap between 2 sounds each note press? (e.g. inconsistent percussion; bigger problem for normal sounds for me)

z.prime wrote:Has anyone figured out what causes Digits to seem to swap between 2 sounds each note press? (e.g. inconsistent percussion; bigger problem for normal sounds for me)
I don't know... a possible workaround I'm going to try (I'm not sure whether it will work or not): double the track - the kick - you need to make consistent, and play with the track A the odd notes, with track B the even ones.

Did you check if the inconsistency get worse on fast notes?

bzur wrote:
z.prime wrote:Has anyone figured out what causes Digits to seem to swap between 2 sounds each note press? (e.g. inconsistent percussion; bigger problem for normal sounds for me)
I don't know... a possible workaround I'm going to try (I'm not sure whether it will work or not): double the track - the kick - you need to make consistent, and play with the track A the odd notes, with track B the even ones
Yeah, I tried that one already... whatever the frequency is, it's off from the tempo so eventually the thing gets back to the "bad" version. I've tried a bunch of things; pretty much all the tricks I've used for other OSCs but this one is a tricky beast...

z.prime wrote:
bzur wrote:
I don't know... a possible workaround I'm going to try (I'm not sure whether it will work or not): double the track - the kick - you need to make consistent, and play with the track A the odd notes, with track B the even ones
Yeah, I tried that one already... whatever the frequency is, it's off from the tempo so eventually the thing gets back to the "bad" version. I've tried a bunch of things; pretty much all the tricks I've used for other OSCs but this one is a tricky beast...
15 days to find a solution...

Bitwig makes this so easy to drag the clip into a sampler.... *sigh*

I have the same issue; only a problem for drums, but "the drum is the most important instrument", so... anyway it sounds like the oscillator phase is on a hidden free-running LFO or something. Such that I wonder if a retrig option would fix it. I'm also wondering if it's a sample rate issue; I'm running at 48kHz; anyone tried it at 44.1 or whatever the dev likely uses?

psmacmur wrote:I have the same issue; only a problem for drums, but "the drum is the most important instrument", so... anyway it sounds like the oscillator phase is on a hidden free-running LFO or something. Such that I wonder if a retrig option would fix it. I'm also wondering if it's a sample rate issue; I'm running at 48kHz; anyone tried it at 44.1 or whatever the dev likely uses?
Exactly; it does sound like a free-running oscillator. I haven't figured out how to get it to retrig. I notice it happens for normal non-percussion sounds, too. A very irritating thing, indeed. I checked the VST params and found nothing, either. Any ideas?

I felt more stable drums working on my 32bit system, on 64bit the higher notes for hard kick sometimes turned into laser zap sound. For working on the track it was ok, but finalisation and rendering was done on 32bit.

@MTLE are you talking about the 64-bit OSX build, or were you bridging it on 64-bit?

@z.prime: I don't think it can be retriggered; it seems that it always runs, even when playback is stopped, like OBXD. I did find that layering drum sounds sort of averaged it out, in that I always get some transient, especially after driving it into a limiter etc., as suggested earlier this thread. I do hear the effect in everything, but that amount of variation is fine for most instrument parts. Unfortunately, the effect seems to be on Osc 1 (maybe 2 also), setting the ShpEnv min/max both to either their min or max didn't help. One thing I haven't tried is using only Reso to generate a kick. At 100% it seems to drown out the Oscs, so maybe it'd drown out the phase variation too?

psmacmur wrote:@MTLE are you talking about the 64-bit OSX build, or were you bridging it on 64-bit?
Sorry, I forgot. I'm running Reaper on Win. I just had the feeling that its different between 32 and 64bit. But also could caused by the totally different external stuff. So just a thought...

Return to “Instruments”