Hardware synth with the best sequencer

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi guys,

I've been eyeing up the Elektron Analog Four over the last couple of weeks (I want to sell a couple of things and invest the cash!).

Specifically, I really want a synth with a top notch and fun sequencer. I like the Analog Four and by all accounts the sequencer is hard to beat, but then you have a small screen and menu diving to deal with (albeit well designed menu diving by all accounts).

Then there's the Pro 2, or perhaps buy a Doepfer Dark Time as standalone and get something else with one knob per function?

Any suggestions very welcome!

You can't go wrong with any of the Elektron products. IMO their sequencers are some of the best and make their products incredibly fun and fast to use. All of the are very inspiring.

I guess it also depends on if you want to sequence external devices as well. The analog four/keys is great to use with modular gear (CV/gate, etc) but can't sequence external instruments from midi. The Octatrack/MonoMachine can both sequence other external midi gear which is a definite plus.

fragmentated wrote:You can't go wrong with any of the Elektron products. IMO their sequencers are some of the best and make their products incredibly fun and fast to use. All of the are very inspiring.
:tu:

I love Elektron gear. The A4 is incredible for sequencing, being able to p-lock and slide multiple parameters from one step to the next is great fun and produces some truly unique sounds.

The question is: do you want / expect to sequence other MIDI gear from the hardware sequencer?

These Elektron boxes can send MIDI:

Machinedrum
Monomachine
Octatrack

These cannot send MIDI:

A4 / A4 Keys
Analog Rytm

At this point it seems unlikely Elektron will add MIDI output to the new analog machines so don't buy one thinking they will. It's a popular feature request, but so far Elektron have said it's not gonna happen.

Peace,
Andy.
... space is the place ...

I got an A4 a couple of months ago and it is amazing,honestly you will not find a better sequencer built in that handles parameters as well as the A4

It is also worth noting that the over bridge vst editor will arrive soon so that is another reason to latch on to the A4...

the A4 has massive balls :tu:
live 11 / Arturia collection / many Softube plug ins / thats it

I don't know about the Pro2, but the Prophet 08 has four really good sequencers per voice which can be supplemented with another voice (just two oscillators per voice). It's especially good when you integrate it with the LFOs and some real time control from the mod wheel and foot pedal. There is some menu diving though, the Dark Energy is more "hands on" because it's not programmable. That lack of programmability can be a feature, because every knob position shows exactly what it's going to do. It can't send MIDI or CV from the sequencers.

What type of music would you use it for? That might help with specifics.

The new Electribes look mighty interesting.

Almost mini Elektrons for a 3rd of the price.

In my opinion, the Octatrack's sequencer is the best of the Elektron box sequencers that send MIDI out, especially if you want to do polyrhythmic stuff. It is a shame that it won't get the VST overbridge thing. I sincerely doubt that the Korg boxes will do poly-rhythms and sequenced parameter lock-type things, but I would be pleasantly surprised if they do that sort of thing.
------------------------------------------
Gribs

Looks like the new Electribes have the same synth engine and filter types as the KingKorg, which is great. But like you say, the sequencer options is likely to be a lot more limited in comparison to the Analog Four.... Will investigate further :)

I've been thinking, seen as I have Ableton Push, do I really need a sequencer? Can that Elektron be that more intuitive?

The way I was thinking about it, something like the Waldorf Pulse 2 sounds fantastic (from the vids I've seen and friends who've used them) and would cost me half the price, with a similar programming style. EDIT: Almost a third of the price!

Using midi cc's I could do per step automation in Ableton using Push very easily (albeit not quite as quick as the Elektron).
Last edited by stevemac on Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:32 am, edited 2 times in total.

I have been looking at the A4 also. I used to have a Quasimidi Polymorph that had four step sequencers in it and 4 synth engines. Very similar it seems, but better in Elektron unit.

Any of the analog step sequencers produced now look like fun with one knob per function.

Believe it or not, the iPad is what got me back into step sequencing and really liking what a step sequencer can do. Various sequencers like little midi sequencer, Korg iMS20's step sequencer, Korg iPolySix Step sequencers, etc, are all very fun to kick out sequences with.

Using the iOS Korg iMS20 with an MS20ic Controller is pretty fun too.

The A4 has great sound and great sequencing. What's not to like?

There was another one that was recommended as similar to Polymorph - Radikal Technologies Spectralis 2. They are hard to find though and I think the A4 is probably better, but really have never played with an A4, so just speculation on similar 4 sequencer gear.
"I am a meat popsicle"
Soundcloud Vondragonnoggin
Soundclick Wormhelmet

If you could take the interface concept of the Nord Lead 3 Rack, add on the Elektron sequencer (and styling)... now that would be a synth!

I have the a4 AR and the pro 2. elektron is amazing and Pro 2 is pretty good too in terms of its sequencer. You can sequence midi devices with the pro 2 as well as CV stuff. Its rad. :) Also the pro 2 is a REALLY nice mono.

You should be able to get a second hand a4 for 850usd and a new Pro 2 for about 1675usd if you look around.

stevemac wrote:I've been thinking, seen as I have Ableton Push, do I really need a sequencer? Can that Elektron be that more intuitive?
Using midi cc's I could do per step automation in Ableton using Push very easily (albeit not quite as quick as the Elektron).
Ive been going thru the same arguments in my head too…
I think the Push can be just as 'hands off computer' as Elektron, if time is invested in it to set it up correctly.
(also you might want to look an Numerology 4 (five12), it has Push support and is an extremely powerful modular sequencer .. hard to describe it, is so powerful :))

stevemac wrote:I've been thinking, seen as I have Ableton Push, do I really need a sequencer? Can that Elektron be that more intuitive?

The way I was thinking about it, something like the Waldorf Pulse 2 sounds fantastic (from the vids I've seen and friends who've used them) and would cost me half the price, with a similar programming style. EDIT: Almost a third of the price!

I have the Analog Keys (same as A4 but with keyboard) and also a Push. I love my Push, but it is just not the same as the sequencer in the AK... find a local shop that has the A4 and explore it a bit...

@pdxindy, what do you like about the AK sequencer so much? why is it better than others or Live+Push?

hope this is not OT, but given topic is HW synth with best sequencer, its seems kind of interesting to know what makes these things 'the best' - what makes them special - its clear the Elektron is good, many highly rate it (though some say it takes a while to learn)
(I've read the elektron manuals, and whilst good in giving details, I suspect they don't really 'sell' the machines well)

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”