Live Amp v. Mike'd Amp

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Excellent - thank you everyone.

ew wrote:
thecontrolcentre wrote:Could be because you are playing it
This.

The biggest part of your tone is you- how you attack the strings, etc. You aren't going to sound anything like me if you play through my amp, and vice versa.

ew
Aye, I honestly could not agree more on the above as being the best way to describe the topic in the most deceptively simple manner possible. I missed it the first time and forgot to mention it anywhere in my own post (Shame on me).

Wouldn't be ace to all meet up in person with our own personal guitar(s), pedal(s) and amplifier(s) of choice, Set them up how we each do then instead of playing through our own setups apart from a quick check to make sure all is sounding right/dialled in switch it up by playing through each others. It'd be so much fun and so revealing/enlightening plus any excuse to talk, play and generally nerd away in land of axe I'm on it 8) I know not possible to organize but still fun to think of

ew wrote:
thecontrolcentre wrote:Could be because you are playing it
This.

The biggest part of your tone is you- how you attack the strings, etc. You aren't going to sound anything like me if you play through my amp, and vice versa.

ew
I concur. Your sound is in your hands.

However, I am reminded of the story of a guy who in order to get the sound he heard while playing in his recording placed the mic where he was standing, ear height. Darned if he didn't get what he wanted.

RunBeerRun wrote:I think to do all this, you would need-

-patience

-or a dedicated, sound isolated room

I've tried positioning a mike with headphones on, but it's blasting at me from all directions...
But still it's a good help - you need not run at full volume.
Just clean low volume tells where bass disappears by moving mike closer or further away.
You will get an idea how full the sound will be - even when turning volume up later.

I really recommend the headphone method to get you started. Tiny movements and change of direction tells what happends - even at very low volume.

Dean, thanks for posting the speaker comparison videos. Quite interesting.

JCJR wrote:Dean, thanks for posting the speaker comparison videos. Quite interesting.
No problem/pleasure JCJR man, It is incredible the difference choice(s) loudspeaker(s) can make, I look at them at another critical part of both the overall voicing of a rig along with gain stage of sorts (break up)

As an example I have recently switched out the stock/factory 1x12" Celestion G12P-80 in my 7ender HotRod Deluxe III combo for a Marshall Gold Series By Celestion 1x12" speaker and the difference is immense. It sounds much more like my sort of thing with the low-end being much tighter/fast tracking whilst the cleans still sound good (the reason I went for such an out of character amp for me/my needs in the first place). The guy with the Marshall JCM2000 DSL401 1x12" got a more expensive speaker out of the switch but that didn't bother either of us as he plays in a style which allows for a flabbier low-end and where woofy low-mids don't really happen yet via the same speaker they were the two problems I was having. It has also changed the sensitivity with me now using the 2nd/lower or padded input as it is visceral when I plug into the input 1/normal input on the thing. I don't have any audio clips to demonstrate unfortunately but yeah one of the best things I've done in awhile to make one my amps which I would rarely use fit in and now gets plenty of use.

I still don't really like the drive channel on it out of personal preference but the clean channel as said is now great as it sounds good clean and now works with any of the high-gain pedals I have. Also using the FX loop return to slave it works a treat :)

All the best

Dean

I'm the worst excuse for a guitarist and barely fumble for one mistake to the next mistake on keyboards.

The only amp is a little peavey classic with a tube circuit similar to "half of a vox AC30". It does pretty clear low volume clean and will do zz top overload without a pedal.

The 10" speaker that came with it was much too high quality, quite good bass response near muddy sounding. Not near twangy enough. I replaced it with a weber vst 10 oz alnico vintage jensen clone with 1" voice coil and very stiff cone, which for my purposes is much better. Clear and very twangy clean, overloads very easy for speaker distortion turned up a bit, even with the little 15 watt amp still running in linear range.

My only other geetar speaker is a 12" greenback purchased new in the 1990's. In a crude homemade pine board half-open-back cab. Dunno what vintage greenback that equates to. Your linked videos apparently had several vintage greenbacks with similar but not identical tones.

The greenback is also very middy and clear clean, and gives a different character (but still strong in the mids/highs) overdriven, compared to the weber 10".

It would be fun to have many other external speakers available to play with.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”