Wise to Jump ship from S1/Cubase to Bitwig

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

4damind wrote:.
But I would not expect a competitor to Cubase or S1. Bitwig will never have the same features like Cubase. So if you need some of the features you need a different DAW besides Bitwig.
I think it's a good idea to use Bitwig as a scratchpad and finish the song in Cubase.
Can't comment on cubase, but I've been using S1 for quite a while, it's my main daw. I also have Bitwig. The next release should be well worth it. The most I care about is multi-outs for 3rd party plugins (and a few bugs).

I fail to see why Bitwig should be used as a scratch pad. People say that about Ableton too. Obviously some of the top artists don't agree. Now, I really like S1 but I don't see it having loads over Bitwig. So, I don't agree with 4damind's statement at all.

To OP, bitwig is a very slick DAW and really fast to work with. The Poly Synth is class.

Once the bugs and new features are added it will be damn fine. It will never be perfect, just like Cubase, Logic, S1, Ableton, etc, etc.

Unfortunately there is no such thing as a perfect DAW.
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

You ain't kiddin!

Yeah, I was pretty disappointed by the initial bitwig release. I've kinda been peeking at it a little though lately as the price has come way down (or you can find it in the marketplace a lot) and it might be kinda fun. It's not going to replace live, that's for sure, but I'm at that point where I feel like experimenting a bit.

Robmobius wrote:People say that about Ableton too.
Because of PDC issue and odd vst latency.

Uhm.. I am a starter, let's not forget that nowadays more people get into DAWs than ever before.. give us noobs a little break please and stop whining! :wink:

tooneba wrote:
Robmobius wrote:People say that about Ableton too.
Because of PDC issue and odd vst latency.
I've not used Ableton in a couple of years... So, yeah. I can see that being a problem alright.
CrazyLittleSomething wrote:Uhm.. I am a starter, let's not forget that nowadays more people get into DAWs than ever before.. give us noobs a little break please and stop whining! :wink:
Better get used to it... :tu:
hibidy wrote:You ain't kiddin!

Yeah, I was pretty disappointed by the initial bitwig release. I've kinda been peeking at it a little though lately as the price has come way down (or you can find it in the marketplace a lot) and it might be kinda fun. It's not going to replace live, that's for sure, but I'm at that point where I feel like experimenting a bit.
I was as well… I was astonished how incomplete it was. Especially, after all the hype. But now that the dust has settled and they’ve been working away constantly. It has some fantastic features and its own FX are really nice. Very fast to work with too.

I doubt it would replace Studio One for me. Because I do a lot of band recording (as well as electronic music) and S1 is great for that.

That said, I’ve made a few tunes in Bitwig now and I really like using it. If the next release fixes some of the issues it will be excellent.

So to OP. I'd personally wait until v1.0 is released. But S1 is great for electronic music too. It's used by the Virus crew, and that is some endorsement. :)
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

Beta version 1.1 just entered the building FYI

CrazyLittleSomething wrote:Beta version 1.1 just entered the building FYI
Woohoo! Thanks for letting us know. :D

Beta as in only a select few or beta as in "it's a good time to start demoing now"

?

hibidy wrote:Beta as in only a select few or beta as in "it's a good time to start demoing now"

?
hehehe not working hard, aye? Look at the release notes :D
Everyone can dl the demo AFAIAC. You do have to have a BW account though.

Ah, well that's cool. Please, do share those notes here.

That's a looooong list of improvements and a few new features too. Sweet!

I'll need to give it a test tomorrow.

I see it now. Yeah, looks like a lot.

hibidy wrote:I see it now. Yeah, looks like a lot.
Yeah, WAY more then I was expecting... :party:

I'll look forward to hearing about how it shakes out. Multi vsts were one of the things I could not live w/o. I've lost track of where it actually stands but need to lurk around the site a bit more and see which of the things I still couldn't live w/o.

well, just have a quick played on it yesterday.

UI : Clean and neat. However, I would like to know more about the shortcut keys (90% of time I was using mouse). I hope BW can show the shortcut key whenever my mouse pointer hover on the button.

MIDI Editing: Had just explore some features but I am pretty happy with how it can offer.

Audio Editing: Haven't tried any. Will try later

CC Mapping: I use Novation UN as my controller and sure would like to see if Automap supports BW.

Automation: will try later.

Bulit-in effects and Synths: As a Cubase/S1 users, BW like Live which only show a windows full of knobs as effects and synths. Until they think non-fancy UI of the Synth/effect can save up CPU power. BTW, I failed to test the arppegiator to control my soft synth.

In the mean time, the price is just right to me. However, like members stated above 1.1 is around the corner so I'll wait a bit....

Regards!
Cowby

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”